First 51314151617 Last

Thread: I Write Like

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    It's one of my favorite books.
    Shake hands all round, then. (Incidentally, have you read any of Tey's other mysteries?)
    "Love never needs time. But friendship always needs time. More and more and more time, up to long past midnight." -- The Crime of Captain Gahagan

Please comment on my johari / nohari pages.

Quote Originally Posted by grey_beard View Post
    Shake hands all round, then. (Incidentally, have you read any of Tey's other mysteries?)
    No, but is part of my long-term reading schedule.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Six different samples came up with

Dan Brown, David Foster Wallace, Chuck Palahniuk, Gertrude Stein, H.P. Lovecraft, Edgar Allan Poe...

I guess I'm still trying to find my voice.
    I tried several different samples and stopped at the first repeated result, a lazy scientific approach to repeatability...

Cory Doctorow
    Dan Brown
    David Foster Wallace
    Stephenie Meyer
    Gertrude Stein
    William Shakespeare
    Cory Doctorow

Given that I consciously adapt my written approach for the intended audience in many ways, I'm pleased to notice that I am actually as adaptable as I think I am!

Another good test site for style of writing is this one, click through to the TRY ONLINE page...a direct link to that page won't work properly.
    LIWC: Linguistic Inquiry and Word Count

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Rambling View Post
    I tried several different samples and stopped at the first repeated result, a lazy scientific approach to repeatability...

Cory Doctorow
    Dan Brown
    David Foster Wallace
    Stephenie Meyer
    Gertrude Stein
    William Shakespeare
    Cory Doctorow

Given that I consciously adapt my written approach for the intended audience in many ways, I'm pleased to notice that I am actually as adaptable as I think I am!

Another good test site for style of writing is this one, click through to the TRY ONLINE page...a direct link to that page won't work properly.
    LIWC: Linguistic Inquiry and Word Count
    Stop! Just STOP! Your erudition is deafening!

(I am *really really* jealous -- or I _would_ be if this test were anything but a hack, as prior contributors to the thread have complained -- of those who got Tolkien.
    I do note, however, that neither Chesterton, nor Wodehouse, nor C.S. Lewis, were among the choices: the presence of which would indicate *real* writing talent. )

P.S. At least Proust wasn't on the list. I mean, c'mon, who *really* writes page-long run-on sentences in French these days?

P.P.S. Someone ought to take the output from the postmodernist generator (Communications From Elsewhere) and see what it gives...
    "Love never needs time. But friendship always needs time. More and more and more time, up to long past midnight." -- The Crime of Captain Gahagan

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Stop! Just STOP! Your erudition is deafening!

(I am *really really* jealous -- or I _would_ be if this test were anything but a hack, as prior contributors to the thread have complained -- of those who got Tolkien.
    I do note, however, that neither Chesterton, nor Wodehouse, nor C.S. Lewis, were among the choices: the presence of which would indicate *real* writing talent. )

P.S. At least Proust wasn't on the list. I mean, c'mon, who *really* writes page-long run-on sentences in French these days?

P.P.S. Someone ought to take the output from the postmodernist generator (Communications From Elsewhere) and see what it gives...
    Any site which says I write like the Bard is clearly *not* a hack...

I'm just thinking about the INFP English major I used to write to... If my writing is *that* good she must have felt pretty threatened by it...

I think I will just communicate with INFPs by stream-of-emoticons from now on...

As for which author I would like to emulate...yes, Chesterton for the inane streams of consciousness like the essay on Cheese, or Tolstoy for the testosterone laden scything passage in Anna Karenina, or maybe Le Guin for sheer imagination and visualisation, such as the Left Hand of Darkness where she remodels the whole of human sexuality into an alien mould...Plus Asimov for logic and Austen for occasional frippery and sarcasm. Whoops, that turned into a bit of a demosthenic rant...

PS. Demosthenes: Grecian orator: perfected to the utmost the tone of lofty speech, living passions, copiousness, readiness, speed...

Wish I could write or speak like him...

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/so

Margaret Mitchell and David Foster Wallace

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Rambling View Post
    Any site which says I write like the Bard is clearly *not* a hack...

I'm just thinking about the INFP English major I used to write to... If my writing is *that* good she must have felt pretty threatened by it...

I think I will just communicate with INFPs by stream-of-emoticons from now on...

As for which author I would like to emulate...yes, Chesterton for the inane streams of consciousness like the essay on Cheese, or Tolstoy for the testosterone laden scything passage in Anna Karenina, or maybe Le Guin for sheer imagination and visualisation, such as the Left Hand of Darkness where she remodels the whole of human sexuality into an alien mould...Plus Asimov for logic and Austen for occasional frippery and sarcasm. Whoops, that turned into a bit of a demosthenic rant...

PS. Demosthenes: Grecian orator: perfected to the utmost the tone of lofty speech, living passions, copiousness, readiness, speed...

Wish I could write or speak like him...

Ehhh, it's all Greek to me. But if you'vre read Thucydides' History of the Peloponnesian War, you'll see all of that, even in the arguments between captured troops and their captors, over whether or not to put them all to death...

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    864 sx/so

Fiction:
    David Foster Wallace
    James Joyce
    Ian Fleming
    Rudyard Kipling
    William Shakespeare

Long forum posts:
    David Foster Wallace
    Cory Doctorow
    H.P. Lovecraft
    Mark Twain (that's funny because I got James Fenimore Cooper once)

Long poems:
    Ray Bradbury
    Edgar Allan Poe
    Chuck Palahniuk
    Kurt Vonnegut
    Ursula K. Le Guin (Hey, it's a woman!)

good, hot, fresh, fly ~ laterlazer's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    592 sp

Fiction stories: Stephen King, Ian Fleming, Chuck Palahniuk, Arthur Clarke