• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Lumosity IQ - Cognitive processes

Splittet

Wannabe genius
MBTI Type
INTJ
Eh folks. It's just meant for fun, please don't take it so seriously. I could come up with dumb IQ/personality tests too. :D

Personally I just view it as a fun, very alternative way of testing intelligence. I only meant to point out that if you don't know what the task is about, of course you will score badly. To be able to answer correctly, you must know what a correct answer is supposed to be, what they are looking for. If not it's basically solving a task without knowing what the task is.

Mempy

Mamma said knock you out
On the third try I got an overall score of 140. It was the birdwatching that was killing me! So I practiced at it, and my highest score of all in birdwatching was 4400 (or, translated, 150).

So my final scores were:

Bird: 150
Memory: 126
Speed: 144

Thanks, Aelan! These games were so fun I played them multiple times. I feel smarter, haha. :D

white

~dangerous curves ahead~
MBTI Type
ENTP
On the third try I got an overall score of 140. It was the birdwatching that was killing me! So I practiced at it, and my highest score of all in birdwatching was 4400 (or, translated, 150).

So my final scores were:

Bird: 150
Memory: 126
Speed: 144

Thanks, Aelan! These games were so fun I played them multiple times. I feel smarter, haha. :D

:D Welcome. Go tranquilize some sheep? I'm hoping for someone to get the cheetah. I've only seen it done once. That guy was a trader.

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
I've been practicing, and I seem to be improving on everything but memory. I recently got 141 on Attention, and 127 on Processing Speed. (Those two have actually been kind of fun recently.) I'm staying between 90-100 on memory... that must be my real deficit for some reason. Hmm... what could be causing that?

Most likely the storage and recall of patterns - I would hazard a guess that chess players are likely to be better at this.

In theory, we can only remember less than 10 things - it's very very rare to even be able to do that (as mentioned earlier, it's about 7, this is pretty hard wired). The trick is to escalate the way we group things. For example, on this memory test, once they pop up more than 7 things (I think this is on level 6+ if you haven't missed one yet), you start losing some or all of what you were storing. The trick is to create new "patterns" out of the things, which is what I was doing with the mouse trick. By reducing 1-3 items you can raise your IQ on it from about level 7-8 to level 9-10 (about 130 to 145, it seems). Likewise, you can start remembering them in "groups", such as "in a row" and so forth rather than individually.

Anyway, I've increased my "IQ" by over 30 points. I don't think this is comparable to an IQ test for that reason. I think that I can probably break 180 on the processing speed one if I really focus and optimize it, but I can't break through the reaction time on the bird one - it gets impossible after about 160 or so. I'll probably try to break it again later :D Dinner has left me with no blood in my brain!

white

~dangerous curves ahead~
MBTI Type
ENTP
Anyway, I've increased my "IQ" by over 30 points. I don't think this is comparable to an IQ test for that reason. I think that I can probably break 180 on the processing speed one if I really focus and optimize it, but I can't break through the reaction time on the bird one - it gets impossible after about 160 or so. I'll probably try to break it again later :D Dinner has left me with no blood in my brain!

pt, if you hit the bird dead square on the centre, you get more points.

Edit: Don't give yourself carpel tunnel syndrome on the raindrops though. *rofl*

Mempy

Mamma said knock you out
Oh, for the sheep game, I got .1356, which is still only a rabbit. And that was after a million times!

Ok I'll try again! Let's go!

white

~dangerous curves ahead~
MBTI Type
ENTP
*rofl* hit printscreen and paste that onto a document or paint. If you want a faster time, halfclick the mouse. =D

Mempy

Mamma said knock you out
But, posting it in just any document won't work! You can't use a word document, for example. I ended up using... microsoft office picture manager. And I edited, if you didn't see. Also, what's a half-click??

white

~dangerous curves ahead~
MBTI Type
ENTP
But, posting it in just any document won't work! You can't use a word document, for example. I ended up using... microsoft office picture manager. And I edited, if you didn't see. Also, what's a half-click??

hmm. If you use print screen function, open a word doc, and hit Ctrl + V, it should paste the whole screen as an image file. *lol*. Anyway I'm impressed with your speed. I hate to say this, but generally guys do better on this test. =D

half click. Sort of like a half shutter on a camera. You depress the mouse halfway so when the sheep shoots, you just have half the distance to click vs the whole. *rofl* Maybe we should ask pt how to sneak around this test. :yes:

targobelle

~*taaa raaa raaa boom*~
MBTI Type
enfp
score_1.jpg

score_2.jpg

and I will do the other one when I am more alert ;)

Mempy

Mamma said knock you out
Haha, damnit! The cheetah continues to elude me! But I did get up to these scores in the IQ test! That's nice.

Bird: 155
Memory: 150
Speed: 140

Overall: 148

Wow! Even /I'm/ impressed! Haha, suckas.

I should totally be able to give myself rep points for this achievement.

Lethe

Obsession.
MBTI Type
iNtJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Detailed LumosIQ Results

Attention (Birdwatching): 111

Memory (Monster Garden): 149

Processing Speed (Raindrops): 127

Total Score: 129

So thing that is contributing to my IQ is merely my ability to recall information? :steam:

;) Oh well.

I might take the test again later. The attention game was not entertaining - I kept on forgetting that I was supposed to look for the bird. :doh:

*Update (Took the test while listening to music, it helps redirect my focus.)

Attention (Birdwatching): 140

Memory (Monster Garden): 159

Processing Speed (Raindrops): 135

Total Score: 144

I do not have an IQ of 144, but the last two games were enjoyable the second time around.

On boosting up my birdwatching score - my main concentration was on the letters and I used the ends of my eye to scan the background for the birds.

I want to take the raindrops one for the third time, but I don't think I'll get any higher than that. I'm pretty much stuck with the mouse since my number keys aren't functioning properly.

Reaction Time

First Try: Sluggish Snail; 3 seconds :party2:
(I'm obviously not getting the game. :D)

Second Try: Sluggish Snail; 0.8338 seconds

Third Try: Rocketing Rabbit; 0.1948 seconds

==========

I've been practicing, and I seem to be improving on everything but memory. I recently got 141 on Attention, and 127 on Processing Speed. (Those two have actually been kind of fun recently.) I'm staying between 90-100 on memory... that must be my real deficit for some reason. Hmm... what could be causing that?
Most likely the storage and recall of patterns - I would hazard a guess that chess players are likely to be better at this.

In theory, we can only remember less than 10 things - it's very very rare to even be able to do that (as mentioned earlier, it's about 7, this is pretty hard wired). The trick is to escalate the way we group things. For example, on this memory test, once they pop up more than 7 things (I think this is on level 6+ if you haven't missed one yet), you start losing some or all of what you were storing. The trick is to create new "patterns" out of the things, which is what I was doing with the mouse trick. By reducing 1-3 items you can raise your IQ on it from about level 7-8 to level 9-10 (about 130 to 145, it seems). Likewise, you can start remembering them in "groups", such as "in a row" and so forth rather than individually.

Exactly. There would have been no way I could have scored that high without memorizing them in groups - the blues with the blues, red with the reds and the yellow with the yellows. And figuring out the patterns or creating your own helps. ;)

Mempy

Mamma said knock you out
Yes, and it helped me to imagine when some areas were completely closed off by the monsters, though that didn't help when the monsters were just floating around in the middle of the board. It did help greatly to go about it like Simon says. PT recommended going over the monsters each time a new one came up, I think? That helped a lot!

As for the birdwatching one, all I can say for that one is practice! If you play it enough times, you start to remember the names of birds they've already given you, and you rack up a few more points that way.

For the damn raindrop test, I can't seem to equal the score I got on the third try, which was 144 or something. My problem, I think, is not that I can't do the problems fast enough, but that I haven't found the fastest way to type the numbers in. Granted, I haven't really tried the numb lock way, because I think I'd have to look down at the keyboard to know which keys I was pressing, which would slow me down. What I do is click the keypad they provide with one hand while I hit the enter key with the other.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Yes, and it helped me to imagine when some areas were completely closed off by the monsters, though that didn't help when the monsters were just floating around in the middle of the board. It did help greatly to go about it like Simon says. PT recommended going over the monsters each time a new one came up, I think? That helped a lot!

That's good... although I can't even get past the first four levels, and often I forget the color even when I remember the location. I get through the first ones because I can quickly think of a route where the monsters aren't in order to reach the goal, but I can't recall where they were specifically. Past the fourth level or so, I can't even do this. So my brain is literally struggling with much more than 3 items, and the test starts at that.
As for the birdwatching one, all I can say for that one is practice! If you play it enough times, you start to remember the names of birds they've already given you, and you rack up a few more points that way.

I've been getting much better at that one. All you have to do is focus on everything at once, expand the amount of information you absorb and try to delay processing it. It's a weird mental trick, but I seem to be able to do it.
For the damn raindrop test, I can't seem to equal the score I got on the third try, which was 144 or something. My problem, I think, is not that I can't do the problems fast enough, but that I haven't found the fastest way to type the numbers in. Granted, I haven't really tried the numb lock way, because I think I'd have to look down at the keyboard to know which keys I was pressing, which would slow me down. What I do is click the keypad they provide with one hand while I hit the enter key with the other.

I have to admit, I've had so much trouble with some of the multiplication/division problems that I had to pull out a calculator and enter them into it, and then enter the answer into the computer. I actually got a few of them this way, but it didn't help much in the long run. I'm fine at addition and subtraction for the most part, except I took a while with a few combinations of the larger sums on the suns. I think the key to this one is memorizing my multiplication tables again and practicing addition/subtraction.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
In order to even get the site to show up properly on my computer, I had to allow cookies. The fact that I figured out how to do this fills me with greater satisfaction than getting a high score. I feel so competent.

Now I'll take the test.

Attention Birdwatching 101
Memory Monster Garden 150
Processing Speed 157

I did too get SO CLOSE for the bird watching. If this were an PS3 game I would've gotten the points...

These games are fun!

Reaction time:

1st try: .7878 Sluggish Snail (Yes, I got a penalty for throwing a dart at a defenseless innocent sheep)
2nd try: .2118 Bobbing Bobcat
Many attempts after that: ...stupid game razzin' frazzin'

Last edited:

white

~dangerous curves ahead~
MBTI Type
ENTP
In order to even get the site to show up properly on my computer, I had to allow cookies. The fact that I figured out how to do this fills me with greater satisfaction than getting a high score. I feel so competent.

Now I'll take the test.

rofl. Cze, you have to do it in one sitting too. The timing of reaction counts. Have fun. I wonder how many sheep mempy has murdered now.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I think you too should take the whole test again. Make sure you know what the tasks are about. It doesn't seem like you get the attention task. Read the "How to play".

I did read the "How to Play" which was why I got confused in the first place.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
so third time I took it and did not read the directions, because I'm convinced that's what screwed me the first time. I got 103 not the best but beats my depressing scores of yesterday so I'm happy.

in attention I got 106
memory-90
proccessing speed-114

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
Took the test again when I woke up this morning... averaged out to 160, so I seem able to do it better when tired than when waking up! Worst part is that both my mistakes on the damn mazing thing were right at the end (the "was it left or down that had it?" after tracing 10 steps... meh). I hate that.

Last edited: