First 56789 Last

~*taaa raaa raaa boom*~ targobelle's Avatar
    MBTI
    enfp

I shared merely for the coffee comment!

Attached Images Attached Images
    ~t ...in need of hugs please...
    Jung Test Results
    Extroverted (E) 63.16% Intuitive (N) 60.53% Feeling (F) 84.38% Perceiving (P) 87.1% ~Your type is: ENFP

I get through the first ones because I can quickly think of a route where the monsters aren't in order to reach the goal, but I can't recall where they were specifically.
    I have the same problem. I think the monster garden is the hardest one to get better at by practice alone.

I've been getting much better at that one. All you have to do is focus on everything at once, expand the amount of information you absorb and try to delay processing it. It's a weird mental trick, but I seem to be able to do it.
    I’ve also figured out that I tend to hit the bird more accurately when I aim a little higher than my first instinct. In other words, for some reason, when I see these birds out of the corner of my eye, I see them a little lower than they really are. Also, the sweet spot on the birds seems to be higher on their body, where their wing meets their body – even more than when you hit them right in the middle. I’ll test this more though.

I think the key to this one is memorizing my multiplication tables again and practicing addition/subtraction.
    Absolutely. The only reason I’m pretty good at this is because in grade school they drilled these simple multiplication and divide problems into my head. We literally spent most of third and fourth grade memorizing times tables, haha.

I wonder how many poor sheep mempy has murdered by now.
    Lmao, a lot. But hey, I'm only tranquilizing them.

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/e...ism/damnit.jpg

Damn it, if only I could get under .1 second!

MBTI
    GONE

Birdwatching 141
    Monster Garden 159
    Raindrops 158

Which pushed my overall score up 16 points from 136 to 152. Improving on the birdwatching really helped. The other two games my score is pretty static.

Ha! Maybe my brain works better an hour or two after I wake up as opposed to an hour before I go to bed...

Damn you, CzeCze and PT. Do I really have to get higher scores than you, for pride purposes? Couldn't you have spared me the work and scored lower than me?

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Mempy View Post
    I have the same problem. I expect that if you practice, you may get better.
    I think some will have difficulties because they are preferring one strategy over the other (I would suspect that those with strong 'preferences' towards certain traits might find particular things harder as a result, but that's just speculation).

Early on, the goal is to remember no more than 3 things - this is the easiest and allows you to also remember the color. Lemme see if I can explain this.

Here's an example of one of the charts. I've added how to compress a 4 pattern into a 2-pattern, so to speak (this is a bad example, but it's easy to explain from the small ones).

I use blocks of "4" like tetris because I'm used to it. In this case, I knew that the bottom couldn't contain the path (bottom right popped up first), so the pattern I used was the L shape, and just remember L - middle).

It's not always that easy, but here's how I generally do it as it gets more complex (again, from early, but this applies to the big grid even more).

The blue is the pattern that I remember to be safe, while the red is the line that I knew was not safe. When put together, I don't need to remember anything else (the logical conclusion is that the "z" puts one up, while the rest is safe).

Practise has got my score rise from the 120s to the 150s, so the tricks are important. It's impossible beyond roughly 2400 points (about 130, I think) without starting to use the tricks because humans will need to remember things in clumps, visual clumps, at the 25+ square points.

Also, memory is very good at remembering visuals, which is why the patterns are better than remembering "red here"... also remember that you don't need the color, so just memorise patterns together, if you can (ie: the "line = yellow"). If you do this enough, you should be able to split the colors up even more. That's really hard though... I just try to think of the patterns as colors since that will still only occupy one memory spot. Even if it's not perfect, you can guess within the pattern and often get it right.

I’ve also figured out that I tend to hit the bird more accurately when I aim a little higher than my first instinct. In other words, for some reason, when I see these birds out of the corner of my eye, I see them a little lower than they really are. Also, the sweet spot on the birds seems to be higher on their body, where their wing meets their body – even more than when you hit them right in the middle. I’ll test this more though.
    The test isn't balanced. Set your resolution to 800x600 and try it... Do that and use a smaller monitor - I broke 160 doing that. I can only hit 140 using my 22" wide screen.

Absolutely. The only reason I’m pretty good at this is because in grade school they drilled these simple multiplication and divide problems into my head. We literally spent most of third and fourth grade memorizing times tables, haha.
    If the basic math is causing problems, you'll probably be limit bound under 10,000 points. At about 3000 points it starts changing the level of math, so you need to be able to deal with higher numbers pretty fast. That'll get you to 10,000. To get to 15,000, you'll need to do them fast - faster than one a second. If you are able to do the suns reasonably well, you should be able to 'push' this score to about 18,000 (about 155 I think). Above 20,000, you need to be able to do all of the above and the xx+xx suns in under 0.75 seconds - typing speed is the hard part here. To push 25,000+ you need to start optimizing the answers (answer those that are 0-10 as soon as you see them). To get to 30,000, you have to be able to store the answer to the suns and enter it as a "reset" every 5 seconds or so... so no pause from answering. After that, marginal improvements will probably get you to 35,000 (I've only hit about 34,000 I think, or whatever 187 is equal to) and it's all about how well you can chain the suns under pressure. And of course, your accuracy should be in the 99% somewhere. Not because it punishes you, but because you can't afford the time to be wrong!

Err... anyway, there is a lot of tiering in this one and it doesn't measure processing speed as much as rote. Once you can recall all the math, you'll jump up a huge amount. Once you are able to do the suns without error (or very little error), you'll jump a huge amount. And to push the limits of the game, you have to be a near-accountant in terms of speed.

(And for the record, I LOVE these games, yes, and I'm doing them to relax while I'm working on my math assignments )
    Last edited by ptgatsby; 06-08-2009 at 09:58 PM.

MBTI
    istp

I got .26 bobbing bobcat. :sad:

Attention - 98
    Memory - 153
    Processing - 146

Total 132

http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/4467/86258640cp7.gif

I think I could do better... I'm in a post-lunch daze right now. :zzz:

I'll try it again at night when I'm much more alert.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    I think some will have difficulties because they are preferring one strategy over the other (I would suspect that those with strong 'preferences' towards certain traits might find particular things harder as a result, but that's just speculation).

Early on, the goal is to remember no more than 3 things - this is the easiest and allows you to also remember the color. Lemme see if I can explain this.

Here's an example of one of the charts. I've added how to compress a 4 pattern into a 2-pattern, so to speak (this is a bad example, but it's easy to explain from the small ones).

I use blocks of "4" like tetris because I'm used to it. In this case, I knew that the bottom couldn't contain the path (bottom right popped up first), so the pattern I used was the L shape, and just remember L - middle).

It's not always that easy, but here's how I generally do it as it gets more complex (again, from early, but this applies to the big grid even more).

The blue is the pattern that I remember to be safe, while the red is the line that I knew was not safe. When put together, I don't need to remember anything else (the logical conclusion is that the "z" puts one up, while the rest is safe).

Practise has got my score rise from the 120s to the 150s, so the tricks are important. It's impossible beyond roughly 2400 points (about 130, I think) without starting to use the tricks because humans will need to remember things in clumps, visual clumps, at the 25+ square points.

Also, memory is very good at remembering visuals, which is why the patterns are better than remembering "red here"... also remember that you don't need the color, so just memorise patterns together, if you can (ie: the "line = yellow"). If you do this enough, you should be able to split the colors up even more. That's really hard though... I just try to think of the patterns as colors since that will still only occupy one memory spot. Even if it's not perfect, you can guess within the pattern and often get it right.
    Actually, I did something similar... I remembered a safe path because I couldn't remember the exact locations. The only difference was that I'm very bad at it compared to you... I'm not good at processing space. I think it could be my weak S giving me grief here.

I love these games too!

I do remember the monsters by envisioning tetris blocks. That's what helps the most. I thought that it was because I was memorizing in clumps too. Though, sometimes the monsters appear in a pattern that doesn't resemble anything, especially when I'm playing with more blocks, so those are hard to remember.

Actually, on the birdwatching, I've got up above 160, I think. I may have hit 8000 in points, which I thought was kickass.

At this point, what's slowing me down is the math. If it gets that much more complicated after 3000, I don't know if I stand much hope.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    Actually, I did something similar... I remembered a safe path because I couldn't remember the exact locations. The only difference was that I'm very bad at it compared to you... I'm not good at processing space. I think it could be my weak S giving me grief here.
    It really is just practise. I'm not really that good at it - I had to do this particular one about 20 times to get into the tricks mindset... and even now, sometimes I find a pattern I haven't seen before and I'm screwed.

It's always said to work on one's inferior functions, and while I don't think this has as much to do with functions, it can only help. The same technique can be used from everything from studying to playing chess. And different tricks can be used to memorise incredible amounts of information (the common example being memorising the order of an entire deck of cards). It's all just practise! (But if you haven't used it much in your life, it may take a while of repeated practise. Same goes for the math - repetition is all it takes.)