• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Lumosity IQ - Cognitive processes

Splittet

Wannabe genius
MBTI Type
INTJ
These are heavily inflated scores... and easy to game. I could probably break 160 "IQ" if I spent another hour working out strategies. (Although I don't think I could get much higher than that... although I might be able to if I drop my resolution and don't use a widescreen... the first game is much harder than the others right now - over 30 points different.)

I am not so sure they are heavily inflated. But that's why I would like to compare the scores with the normal IQ scores of people here, I am curious how they compare. What is your IQ for example?

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
I am not so sure they are heavily inflated. But that's why I would like to compare the scores with the normal IQ scores of people here, I am curious how they compare.

I meant heavily inflated for mine. These are aptitude tests, I highly doubt they have any significant relationship to general intelligence.

Splittet

Wannabe genius
MBTI Type
INTJ
I meant heavily inflated for mine. These are aptitude tests, I highly doubt they have any significant relationship to general intelligence.

Well, I am sure the correlation will be big enough, maybe something like 0,5, with IQ that is.

Nadir

Enigma
MBTI Type
INxJ
Enneagram
ptgatsby: Although I haven't tried to optimize my test-taking, the main limiting factor where the processing speed test was concerned seemed to be the mouse. It sucked to click that much, became tiring. If the test would have let me do it with the keyboard, well... things could have gotten interesting.

I have no doubt that practice would make better where this entire test-game is concerned.

Splittet: I'm dubious about most internet IQ tests. I generally score between the 130-140 range - the last one I took, a visual one at IQtest.dk, I got 135. I feel certain that I would score lower in an "official", paper test. (My parents got me tested when I was young [apparently I was really interested in reading strings of numbers] but I don't remember my score, nor do they. And I feel dumber as I grow older, so it's entirely possible that my IQ has decreased over the years.)

Splittet

Wannabe genius
MBTI Type
INTJ
I think if you take enough Internet tests you will get a pretty good picture of your IQ. Some tests are obviously quite a lot better than other though. I think IQtest.dk is good. I got 128 on it once upon a time. Actually it is 4-5 years ago.

I think this test might be pretty good in the +-2SD area, but rather awful at scores more extreme than that. High scores seem too easy to achieve indeed.

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
Well, I am sure the correlation will be big enough, maybe something like 0,5, with IQ that is.

Hmmm, I hope so. I seem to be hitting about 160 :D

ptgatsby: Although I haven't tried to optimize my test-taking, the main limiting factor where the processing speed test was concerned seemed to be the mouse. It sucked to click that much, became tiring. If the test would have let me do it with the keyboard, well... things could have gotten interesting.

You can use the numpad btw :D

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I couldn't tell what these tests were trying to judge, but yes, my IQ usually falls in the 140-150 range (once I got a 160... but... yeah... I am figuring THAT test was whacked... :dry:).

I don't know. After some point, all the extra IQ seems to be wasted. It certainly has not made me a happier person. I become more happy when I exercise my freedom to choose and empower myself.

Splittet

Wannabe genius
MBTI Type
INTJ
I couldn't tell what these tests were trying to judge, but yes, my IQ usually falls in the 140-150 range (once I got a 160... but... yeah... I am figuring THAT test was whacked... :dry:).

I don't know. After some point, all the extra IQ seems to be wasted. It certainly has not made me a happier person. I become more happy when I exercise my freedom to choose and empower myself.

That makes you a powerful argument high scores are actually NOT too easy to achieve. I think the test seems amazingly accurete taking into account how short it is.

Nadir

Enigma
MBTI Type
INxJ
Enneagram

Well, darn.

Ah, well. No use taking the whole thing for the second time - the average would change 4-5 points at the most. And I've already made my ambivalence clear. :)

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

:doh:

Oh well, I guess a 157 is still respectable! (My mouse hand just could not keep up with the rainfall, or I might have gone longer.)

white

~dangerous curves ahead~
MBTI Type
ENTP
*rofl* At least it is a fun test, no? :yes:

I went mad on the raindrops one. Btw, the numpad is easier to use for that one.

Splittet, I think the correlation with IQ comes about because:

1) "Birdwatching" tests attention and linguistics + educated guesswork. The closer you click to the bird, the higher the points you get.

2) "Monsters" tests memory, spatial, attention to detail on colours, end object etc. An average person is able to remember a sequence of 7 things. Bonus points comes in if you can correctly identify the monsters' colours too.

3) "raindrops" : numerical ability - if you go for the big raindrops you get a clear screen btw. I wonder if you get bonus points for going for the big one in a screen full of raindrops. Also tests ability under pressure.

- I believe the above are all components in an overall intelligence, so the correlation could exist. But this was not meant as an IQ test - just a measure of the above cognitive processes. The more you do it, the better your score, till it reaches a plateau and dies away. I can't do this test more than twice, at which point I'm so wired up I'm flying off my seat and squwaking at random raindrops.

- It gets skewed when smart test-takers like pt come around to try beat the system *rofl*.

- Athenian, it is just a test, and as you've seen from pt, there're many ways to beat the system, I wouldn't use it as a measure of intelligence IRL - there's too many components of intelligence for one test to measure fully methinks.

Edit: How'd everyone do tranquilising sheep? Can anyone get the cheetah?

Splittet

Wannabe genius
MBTI Type
INTJ
Well, isn't it supposed to be an IQ test? To me the test seems pretty g-loaded. Results seems to be +-10 points of what people normally test on IQ tests, and that's not much worse than the difference between actual IQ tests.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
really? really? my scores suck, my actual IQ is not that low. not even by 10 points.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
wow- I suck! :laugh:

overall IQ 107
attention-72
memory- 128
processing speed- 121

and I'm an ambling armadillo! :(

in my defense I'm using a lap top for this! :laugh: and I guess I'm bad at paying attention! :blush:

my real IQ is higher than that! :cry:

Splittet

Wannabe genius
MBTI Type
INTJ
wow- I suck! :laugh:

overall IQ 107
attention-72
memory- 128
processing speed- 121

and I'm an ambling armadillo! :(

in my defense I'm using a lap top for this! :laugh: and I guess I'm bad at paying attention! :blush:

my real IQ is higher than that! :cry:

Nah, you don't suck. It's just the attention part that needs to be done twice, because many, me and you included, didn't totally get it the first time.

really? really? my scores suck, my actual IQ is not that low. not even by 10 points.

I think you too should take the whole test again. Make sure you know what the tasks are about. It doesn't seem like you get the attention task. Read the "How to play".

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Nah, you don't suck. It's just the attention part that needs to be done twice, because many, me and you included, didn't totally get it the first time.

yeah- I took it only once! :laugh: and I'm also dyslexic, so I really sucked at some of the stuff! :D

:hug: for everyone who didn't try to beat the system straight off! :laugh:

white

~dangerous curves ahead~
MBTI Type
ENTP
I'm not sure taking it again really helps?

I hit 151 the first time, then 154. But it went downhill from there. I think I lose focus once the raindrops go mad. Then my brain short-circuits and I'm unable to think.

Splittet

Wannabe genius
MBTI Type
INTJ
I'm not sure taking it again really helps?

I hit 151 the first time, then 154. But it went downhill from there. I think I lose focus once the raindrops go mad. Then my brain short-circuits and I'm unable to think.

It helps taking it again if you didn't get it the first time. I didn't know what the attention part was about the first time and scored 86. Then I figured out what I was supposed to do, and got 122. If you know what the task is about however, there isn't much to gain.

white

~dangerous curves ahead~
MBTI Type
ENTP
Eh folks. It's just meant for fun, please don't take it so seriously. I could come up with dumb IQ/personality tests too. :D

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I've been practicing, and I seem to be improving on everything but memory. I recently got 141 on Attention, and 127 on Processing Speed. (Those two have actually been kind of fun recently.) I'm staying between 90-100 on memory... that must be my real deficit for some reason. Hmm... what could be causing that?