• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What American accent do you have?

JFrombaugh

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Does this count as a personality quiz? If not, sorry, but I just thought it was cool.

This quiz will identify which style of accent in America you most have. Up until just recently, I wasn't even fully aware that Americans had so many diverse accents by region! (I'd heard of Southern and Northeastern accents, but that's about it)

Plus, I don't know about everyone else here, but I have a very complex family background. My father was born in Texas, but yet my grandmother on his side is Cuban, and my grandfather's parents were actually from Ohio. On my mother's side, my grandmother is a Choctaw Indian descendant from Oklahoma, and my grandfather is Californian.

This means that I have two VERY different family backgrounds! :shock:

So I stumbled upon the quiz and took it, here's what I got...

Your Result: The West

Your accent is the lowest common denominator of American speech. Unless you're a SoCal surfer, no one thinks you have an accent. And really, you may not even be from the West at all, you could easily be from Florida or one of those big Southern cities like Dallas or Atlanta.

This makes sense, I was born in Riverside CA (even though we moved back to Houston before I was 1), and I lived in Lake Tahoe during my elementary school years, which was a big developmental time for speech. I currently live in Texas, but I've never really felt that I really identify with "Texans" very much (and neither do my parents), Texas & SoCal were just the two major crossroads where my family met.

heart

heart on fire
"You have a Midland accent" is just another way of saying "you don't have an accent." You probably are from the Midland (Pennsylvania, southern Ohio, southern Indiana, southern Illinois, and Missouri) but then for all we know you could be from Florida or Charleston or one of those big southern cities like Atlanta or Dallas. You have a good voice for TV and radio.

neptunesnet

man-made
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5&4
Instinctual Variant
sx
The Midland

Boring... I mean, without any distinct accent - according to the test I have a good "radio or TV voice."

@OP : I have a friend from Riverside :)

Mole

Permabanned
American - Accented by God and Money

The USA has been the largest economy in the world for more than one hundred years. And is the second largest economy in the world today.

So when we hear the American accent we think of money and God.

And you constantly remind us, for you have written on the Reserve Currency of the World, the US Dollar, the words, "In God We Trust".

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
I got Midland. But I think I have an upstate New York accent.... it's like a NYC/Long Island accent but 100x less obnoxious.

The USA has been the largest economy in the world for more than one hundred years. And remains the largest economy in the world today.

Actually, the European Union is the largest economy in the world. They just surpassed the US.

69077272.jpg

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/rankorder/2001rank.html

heart

heart on fire
The USA has been the largest economy in the world for more than one hundred years. And remains the largest economy in the world today.

So when we hear the American accent we think of money and God.

And you constantly remind us, for you have written on the Reserve Currency of the World, the US Dollar, the words, "In God We Trust".

Thank you Victor, for making yet another thread about you verses the USA.

Mole

Permabanned
Actually, the European Union is the largest economy in the world. They just surpassed the US.

You've caught me out again, Ajblaise. This could become a career.

So I'd like you to read every word I write, and let me know immediately the moment I make a mistake.

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm not American but.

"Judging by how you talk you are probably from north Jersey, New York City, Connecticut or Rhode Island. Chances are, if you are from New York City (and not those other places) people would probably be able to tell if they actually heard you speak."

Is this the average American TV accent? I learned my English from watching American cartoons.

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
Your Result: The Midland

"You have a Midland accent" is just another way of saying "you don't have an accent." You probably are from the Midland (Pennsylvania, southern Ohio, southern Indiana, southern Illinois, and Missouri) but then for all we know you could be from Florida or Charleston or one of those big southern cities like Atlanta or Dallas.

You have a good voice for TV and radio.

phthalocyanine

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx
i have more of an inland accent, but the test said midland.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Your Result: Philadelphia

Your accent is as Philadelphian as a cheesesteak! If you're not from Philadelphia, then you're from someplace near there like south Jersey, Baltimore, or Wilmington. if you've ever journeyed to some far off place where people don't know that Philly has an accent, someone may have thought you talked a little weird even though they didn't have a clue what accent it was they heard.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If I test honestly, then "feel" and "fill" sound almost the same when I say them. Same for "pin" and "pen". However, I hear a difference & feel like I am saying them differently....they just come out very close. :D

The West
Your accent is the lowest common denominator of American speech. Unless you're a SoCal surfer, no one thinks you have an accent. And really, you may not even be from the West at all, you could easily be from Florida or one of those big Southern cities like Dallas or Atlanta.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The West...
... which is true! So the test is accurate for me! :)

Fluxkom

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
The Inland North

I'm from Germany however :)

MBTI Type
INTJ
Couldn't be more accurate!

Your Result: Philadelphia

Your accent is as Philadelphian as a cheesesteak! If you're not from Philadelphia, then you're from someplace near there like south Jersey, Baltimore, or Wilmington. if you've ever journeyed to some far off place where people don't know that Philly has an accent, someone may have thought you talked a little weird even though they didn't have a clue what accent it was they heard.

Result Breakdown:
93% Philadelphia
80% The Midland
76% The Northeast
65% The South
63% The Inland North
44% Boston
25% The West
8% North Central

Decon

MBTI Type
INFj
Enneagram
9w1
I got Northeast. But I'm from Colorado.

Himself

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
It put me in "The West," with a very high Midland rating. Makes sense, as I've more or less split my life between Northern California and Chicago. (People very occasionally tell me that I have a little bit of a Chicago accent, especially when I say "Chi-CAH-go," but it's not very pronounced at all.)