• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What American accent do you have?

MBTI Type
INTJ
I have a Midland accent, which is accurate. :yes:

It's really hard for me to imagine cot/caught and merry/Mary/marry sounding differently. :shock:

Wow, I can't imagine any of those being confused for any of the others. We are a big ass country :)

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
Would you say you are more southern twang, or southern drawl?
I would say Domino has a slight twang, but my perception might be off since I think I have a twang and maybe even a slight drawl. :unsure:

(And I did have to look up the difference between twang and drawl. :laugh:)

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
This is not a great test. Agree with whomever said they haven't got the distinction between midland and west right yet in the test.

(And having spent 3 weeks in Australia, y'all do sound Northestern-ish, if you don't have the strong twang.)

Sparrow

Instinctual Variant
so/sx
West Siiiiiide! Its weird that people say we have no accent, how is that?!

Sparrow

Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Pretty much everyone, they say we have no accent but why :)?

Sparrow

Instinctual Variant
so/sx
No I dont :) Why do you ask? Im confused now lol.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Your Result: The Northeast

lol i'm actually born and raised in the south... by northeasterner parents :]

i think i speak kinda southern (drawl not twang) around most southerners but i really just can't handle pin and pen sounding the same

ps i propose southern drawl is more east coast and twang is more inland/mountain
well and probably a bit to do with SES too but don't want to offend anyone :devil:

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Boston apparently! I guy I met asked me if I were from Boston. He was.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
What American accent do you have?
Your Result: The Midland
"You have a Midland accent" is just another way of saying "you don't have an accent." You probably are from the Midland (Pennsylvania, southern Ohio, southern Indiana, southern Illinois, and Missouri) but then for all we know you could be from Florida or Charleston or one of those big southern cities like Atlanta or Dallas. You have a good voice for TV and radio.
Result Breakdown:
83% The Midland
73% North Central
63% The West
62% The Inland North
48% Boston
36% Philadelphia
34% The South
30% The Northeast
Quiz Created on GoTo Quiz

Actually, I'm from Minnesota. And there is no such thing as a Minnesota accent in spite of what others think.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
Your Result: The Inland North

You may think you speak "Standard English straight out of the dictionary" but when you step away from the Great Lakes you get asked annoying questions like "Are you from Wisconsin?" or "Are you from Chicago?" Chances are you call carbonated drinks "pop."

Interesting. Now I would only need to know how that sounds like... :huh:

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
There is totally a Minnesotan accent. I went to Germany, was in a hostel-like place with an American couple and nailed down the state in two sentences (eavesdropping over breakfast).

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
You may think you speak "Standard English straight out of the dictionary" but when you step away from the Great Lakes you get asked annoying questions like "Are you from Wisconsin?" or "Are you from Chicago?" Chances are you call carbonated drinks "pop."
Result Breakdown:
85% The Inland North
80% The Midland
64% The Northeast
60% Philadelphia
54% The South
49% The West
31% Boston
29% North Central

Sounds about right.

And carbonated drinks are MOST DEFINITELY called "pop." :laugh:

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

And carbonated drinks are MOST DEFINITELY called "pop." :laugh:

I kind of use pop and soda interchangeably but what really floors me is those people down south who refer to any carbonated beverage as "coke".

"So what kind of coke would you like?"

How about Pepsi?

Or

"What's your favorite kind of coke?"

Mountain Dew.

La de Longe

MBTI Type
infj
I grew up saying pop, but then switched to soda when someone from Philadelphia called me ignorant. Hah!

That test said I was from the west, and it was right.

Another regional question. Does anyone ever say "boughten" as in "I don't remember what I've boughten"? I find that slipping out sometimes, and people have called me out on it, but I know I'm not the only one who does it.