First 34567 Last

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    The USA has been the largest economy in the world for more than one hundred years. And is the second largest economy in the world today.

So when we hear the American accent we think of money and God.

And you constantly remind us, for you have written on the Reserve Currency of the World, the US Dollar, the words, "In God We Trust".
    If you don't like it, then don't spend it!
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Lauren Ashley View Post
    Ha, I was just thinking "I don't have a Boston accent." Even though I was born and raised in Boston. My accent seems nonexistent compared to other Bostonians; I thought I'd gotten rid of it... maybe not.
    same! and it knew!
    "Develop interest in life as you see it...the world is so rich, simply throbbing with rich treasures, beautiful souls and interesting people. Forget yourself." -- H. Miller
    -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
    Johari the good..
    Nohari.. the bad, and the ugly

I'm a FiNe SiTe to see!

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

What American accent do you have?
    Your Result: The Northeast
    Judging by how you talk you are probably from north Jersey, New York City, Connecticut or Rhode Island. Chances are, if you are from New York City (and not those other places) people would probably be able to tell if they actually heard you speak.
    Result Breakdown:
    88% The Northeast
    81% The Inland North
    73% Philadelphia
    50% The South
    40% The Midland
    31% Boston
    15% North Central
    6% The West

:yim_rolling_on_the_

*recovers breath somewhat*

Ok, I think it's official. The test criteria fail for non-Americans. Obviously I don't have an American accent, but I would have thought it would have come up with the one that sounds closest to the way I actually DO speak. If anything does, I don't think it's this one. I find that North-Eastern, Ny-ish accent quite entertaining, but the mutual incomprehension is considerable, even allowing for transatlantic differences. Sometimes my American ex's NY-bred parents and I could barely understand a word the other was saying, especially on their side (I suppose we're more used to hearing Americans speak than the converse).
    Look into my avatar. Look deep into my avatar...

MBTI
    INxJ
    Enneagram

Your Result: The Inland North
    You may think you speak "Standard English straight out of the dictionary" but when you step away from the Great Lakes you get asked annoying questions like "Are you from Wisconsin?" or "Are you from Chicago?" Chances are you call carbonated drinks "pop."
    Result Breakdown:
    89% The Inland North
    73% Philadelphia
    73% The Northeast
    62% The South
    50% The Midland
    22% North Central
    14% The West
    13% Boston

Uh.. I think I speak more British than American anyway, but interesting to see...
    INxJ
    Enneagram 5
    RLOEI, Inquisitive

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

I don't think anyone else has gotten this result yet...I am Canadian though, not mistaken for one. I had no idea this was the 'Minnesota accent' in the states.

Your Result: North Central
    "North Central" is what professional linguists call the Minnesota accent. If you saw "Fargo" you probably didn't think the characters sounded very out of the ordinary. Outsiders probably mistake you for a Canadian a lot.
    Result Breakdown:
    100% North Central
    69% The West
    55% The Midland
    50% Boston
    30% The Inland North
    8% The South
    0% Philadelphia
    0% The Northeast
    Quiz Created on GoTo Quiz

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    873 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

Your Result: The Midland

"You have a Midland accent" is just another way of saying "you don't have an accent." You probably are from the Midland (Pennsylvania, southern Ohio, southern Indiana, southern Illinois, and Missouri) but then for all we know you could be from Florida or Charleston or one of those big southern cities like Atlanta or Dallas. You have a good voice for TV and radio.

MBTI
    ESFJ

There is no such thing as "you don't have an accent." Even the accent in the general Omaha, NE area (which was the most common for broadcast journalism) has certain aspects that are unique. The Inland accent has some quirks about it (like the Mary-marry-merry merger). And, of course, having a less obvious accent doesn't mean you "have a good voice for TV and radio." That is just silly.

It's quite funny for me with these quizzes. I ALWAYS get Philadelphia accent, and I am a native Philadelphian, but almost no one in Los Angeles can guess where I grew up. If you know how Philadelphians pronounce certain words (like frog and dog NOT rhyming), you might be able to decipher it, but no one notices with me. My Philadelphian friends think I have no accent at all, but I do. We all do. I have actually had a few people in L.A. say that I have a slight British twinge to my accent, which is very interesting. I've spent a grand total of ten days in the United Kingdom in my life.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post

Whenever I hear anyone say "pop", I feel like I'm in the 1950s in the corner soda fountain. It just feels so anachronistic. But apparently it's the word used in a good part of the country.
    In some parts of the South, they use "coke" for all sodas. Like,

Q: "Would you like a coke?"

A: "Yes, a ginger ale, please."
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sp
    Socionics
    ILE

Your Result: The Midland
    "You have a Midland accent" is just another way of saying "you don't have an accent." You probably are from the Midland (Pennsylvania, southern Ohio, southern Indiana, southern Illinois, and Missouri) but then for all we know you could be from Florida or Charleston or one of those big southern cities like Atlanta or Dallas. You have a good voice for TV and radio.

Hmm... I am not from any of those places. I have lived in California my whole life, so I suppose that could be considered a neutral accent too. But I do slip into a valley girl-ish accent sometimes (even though I am not from the valley) that might roughly give away where I am from.

The Unwieldy Clawed One Falcarius's Avatar
    MBTI
    COOL
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    Dino None

Apparently (but Falcarius would not know the difference between any American accent as he is not American);

Your Result: The Inland North

You may think you speak "Standard English straight out of the dictionary" but when you step away from the Great Lakes you get asked annoying questions like "Are you from Wisconsin?" or "Are you from Chicago?" Chances are you call carbonated drinks "pop."
    Quote Originally Posted by Thalassa View Post
    Oh our 3rd person reference to ourselves denotes nothing more than we realize we are epic characters on the forum.

Narcissism, plain and simple.