• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why Him? Why Her? (Helen Fisher Test)

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I got negotiator/builder. It suggests director/builder as a good match, which sounds like a fairly good description of my partner. I think we're both inclined toward building because of insecure childhoods.

Lightyear

Halla's Results...

DIRECTOR / Explorer

ABOUT YOUR PERSONALITY TYPE...
(THIS ENTIRE SECTION DESCRIBES ME SPOT ON...)
You seek challenges. You are a tough-minded, independent thinker who likes to explore ideas or problems thoroughly. You focus easily. And you are systematic and exacting in pursuing your interests and goals. You are also assertive. You have a lot of energy. You think quickly, make decisions faster than most, and take an analytical approach to people, issues and ideas.

You are not conventional in your attitudes or values. Autonomy is essential to you. You do not follow the rules unless the rules are logical and useful. Nor do you unreservedly respect authority. Instead, you tend to be skeptical, irreverent and pragmatic. And you are comfortable working or pursuing your hobbies alone.

Yet you have a wild side. You are daring; you like novel ideas and new adventures. You are not interested in maintaining routine social engagements either, and you can't tolerate "small talk." Instead, you make a few very close friends, particularly with individuals who share your interests.

IN LOVE and RELATIONSHIPS...
(All but strike outs apply...)
As a Director you seek someone who is self-sufficient and enjoys time alone. You also like a partner who is imaginative and intuitive and not competitive with you. And because you can be oblivious to rules and schedules, your partner must be flexible. For you, sex is woven with subtleties and symbolism and you like a mate who finds intimacy in this unspoken psychological journey. To balance your direct style and tendency to make up your mind quickly, you gravitate to a mate with good social skills--someone who weighs alternatives carefully, listens actively and handles conflict with nuanced grace. And because you tend to hide your emotions, you often seek someone who is emotionally expressive. You also like someone who is spontaneous, even mischievous, as well as a mate who can appreciate your rugged individualism and support of your drive to succeed.

RELATING TO OTHERS...
(Pretty damn accurate here too...)
You are direct and informed; and you gravitate to men and women who are intellectually exciting and like to discuss topics broadly and thoroughly. Because you are curious, creative, ambitious, hard working and unconventional in your attitudes and values, your friends admire you. In return you are fiercely loyal to those you love. You are susceptible to intense anger when you feel hurt, disappointed or frustrated. Your ambition can lead to workaholism.

THINGS TO BE AWARE OF...
You can lack self-reflection. (Ummmm, waste of time?!) :laugh:

SPARK FACTOR...
You tend to naturally gravitate to NEGOTIATOR/explorers.
(OK, If you say so!) :whistling:

A cool test, I like it! :woot:

I am not surprised by the result! :)

(And I had to step back about 3 metres to be able to read these supersized letters. :D)

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
taking it....it's just about dating stuff tho. does it get into personality stuff or what? it's annoying me. :/

decided

MBTI Type
INFJ
My result...
Negotiator/Explorer

You see the big picture. You easily take the broad, long view of almost any topic. You are comfortable juggling myriad facts. You tend to synthesize material easily and think in webs of factors, not straight lines. You are imaginative and enjoy ideas.

You are also socially savvy. You are good at both talking and listening. And you generally read people's faces, body postures and tone of voice accurately, so you often intuitively understand what people want and need.

You are also highly compassionate. You care deeply about others. So you are inclined to make personal sacrifices to be a supportive friend and colleague. And you are idealistic and altruistic; you like to work to improve the world.

And you have an adventurous side; you enjoy new ideas and novel experiences and you want to share these with an enthusiastic partner. But you are particularly fond of people who are direct, decisive, focused and tough-minded, people who complement your more flexible, agreeable and affable style.

Primary Traits
Sees the big picture
Imaginative
Intuitive
Verbal skills
Empathetic
Trusting
Introspective

Secondary Traits
Novelty seeking
Impulsive and spontaneous
Curious
Creative
Flexible
Open-minded
Energetic

Love and Relationships
As a Negotiator, you seek a spiritual, life long connection to a "true love". But you don't want someone who is emotionally dependent. You admire people who need a good deal of autonomy. Marriage is important to you; but the social pledge of matrimony is far less sacred than the personal commitment you privately make to your beloved. You avoid conflict and strive for harmony in your primary relationship. So you express your love regularly-with hugs, thoughtful presents, romantic weekends or by creating other special times together. And you want a mate who is daring, playful and adventurous, yet one who will balance you-someone who is calm, decisive, strong-willed, focused and supportive of your enthusiastic, caring and imaginative spirit.

Relating to Others
You dislike conflict. You seek "win-win" solutions. You are good at sharing power and ideas. And you are a master at the art of intimacy-building deep and exciting relationships with others. Nevertheless, you often enjoy solitude or intense interactions with just one individual or a few close friends. And you particularly enjoy people who like to play with abstract theories and ideas, provide insights, search for symbolic meanings in life and relationships and have a broad interest in the world.

Things to be aware of
Because you can see so many angles to an issue or decision, you can be indecisive.
Your need to please can turn to placating and your trusting nature can make you gullible.
When you feel betrayed you can be unforgiving and hold a grudge too long.

Spark Factor
You tend to naturally gravitate to DIRECTOR/explorers.​

Edit: I made my husband do the test. He got DIRECTOR/negotiator.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Took it again, because some people were getting Director/explorer who I don't really think I'm all that similar to...but I got it again. Guess I could be Director/negotiator but the more feely aspects to the questions are turning me off.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
NEGOTIATOR/explorer

About Your Personality Type
You see the big picture. You easily take the broad, long view of almost any topic. You are comfortable juggling myriad facts. You tend to synthesize material easily and think in webs of factors, not straight lines. You are imaginative and enjoy ideas.

You are also socially savvy. You are good at both talking and listening. And you generally read people's faces, body postures and tone of voice accurately, so you often intuitively understand what people want and need.

You are also highly compassionate. You care deeply about others. So you are inclined to make personal sacrifices to be a supportive friend and colleague. And you are idealistic and altruistic; you like to work to improve the world.

And you have an adventurous side; you enjoy new ideas and novel experiences and you want to share these with an enthusiastic partner. But you are particularly fond of people who are direct, decisive, focused and tough-minded, people who complement your more flexible, agreeable and affable style.
Negotiator primary traits

* Sees the big picture
* Imaginative
* Intuitive
* Verbal skills
* Empathetic
* Trusting
* Introspective

Explorer secondary traits

* Novelty seeking
* Impulsive and spontaneous
* Curious
* Creative
* Flexible
* Open-minded
* Energetic

In Love and Relationships
As a Negotiator, you seek a spiritual, life long connection to a "true love". But you don't want someone who is emotionally dependent. You admire people who need a good deal of autonomy. Marriage is important to you; but the social pledge of matrimony is far less sacred than the personal commitment you privately make to your beloved. You avoid conflict and strive for harmony in your primary relationship. So you express your love regularly-with hugs, thoughtful presents, romantic weekends or by creating other special times together. And you want a mate who is daring, playful and adventurous, yet one who will balance you-someone who is calm, decisive, strong-willed, focused and supportive of your enthusiastic, caring and imaginative spirit.
Relating to others
You dislike conflict. You seek "win-win" solutions. You are good at sharing power and ideas. And you are a master at the art of intimacy-building deep and exciting relationships with others. Nevertheless, you often enjoy solitude or intense interactions with just one individual or a few close friends. And you particularly enjoy people who like to play with abstract theories and ideas, provide insights, search for symbolic meanings in life and relationships and have a broad interest in the world.
Things to be aware of

* Because you can see so many angles to an issue or decision, you can be indecisive.
* Your need to please can turn to placating and your trusting nature can make you gullible.
* When you feel betrayed you can be unforgiving and hold a grudge too long.

Spark Factor
You tend to naturally gravitate to DIRECTOR/explorers.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
some of the builder traits seem really off for me, but some are also very true. it's kind of 50/50. i at least agree that i am predominately a negotiator type, for sure.
Bit of Forer effect going on here, I'd suggest.
i wonder what the visual/spatial tests measured? i was good at them.
Testosterone. Same as length of finger.
Quite a lot of assumptions being made behind the scenes for this test, it seems.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
As I said on another thread, I made a profile with match.com or somewhere and took her test, just to see what it was all about. I thought it was hokey and a copy of MBTI with a Keirsyan flavor, in fact her colors and look even mimic keirsey's site and descriptions. I know she only has 12 versus 16 types, but she still has 4 categories. I don't see any new thought behind the idea or the test, personally. If anything, I think she is taking others' ideas, changing them just enough, and passing them off as her own to exploit the current interest in personality typing, with all the lack of integrity that implies.

phthalocyanine

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx
Bit of Forer effect going on here, I'd suggest.
Testosterone. Same as length of finger.
Quite a lot of assumptions being made behind the scenes for this test, it seems.

yeah, i think it's kinda hokey. i'll give anything a shot first before i conclude my judgments, though.

if "builder" is loosely an SJ model, then they've definitely got me wrong...

so testosterone is supposed to help, or hinder spatial reasoning? i seem to be good at making measurements (like in this test) and remembering visual details for instance ('what is missing' etc), but not so good at mechanical reasoning or complex mental image rotation.

if this test had included more varied kinds if spatial reasoning tests, it would've been a bit more well-rounded...

there are a lot of other holes, but i'm kind of over it! i mean, i'm not looking for a mate on that site, anyway, so what do i care? :doh:

Unkindloving

Lungs & Lips Locked
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
4w5
NEGOTIATOR/explorer

About Your Personality Type

* Sees the big picture
* Imaginative
* Intuitive
* Verbal skills
* Empathetic
* Trusting
* Introspective

Explorer secondary traits
* Novelty seeking
* Impulsive and spontaneous
* Curious
* Creative
* Flexible
* Open-minded
* Energetic

Relating to others

Things to be aware of
* Because you can see so many angles to an issue or decision, you can be indecisive.
* Your need to please can turn to placating and your trusting nature can make you gullible.

Spark Factor
You tend to naturally gravitate to DIRECTOR/explorers.

MBTI Type
INFJ
I read her book, and..... I agree that there is not much new to her theory, but it's more limiting than Keirsey or MBTI.....
I always tested as NEGOTIOATOR/explorer like other INFJs here.....

MBTI Type
INFJ
Took it again, because some people were getting Director/explorer who I don't really think I'm all that similar to...but I got it again. Guess I could be Director/negotiator but the more feely aspects to the questions are turning me off.

Don't worry, my intp bf always test director/explorer, too, and I can see him as more similar to you than to other people here....

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Don't worry, my intp bf always test director/explorer, too, and I can see him as more similar to you than to other people here....

Only thing is that I don't really relate to the more "extraverted" assertiveness, but more of an internal assertiveness. I think that's where I was having trouble. Also, it can take me a bit to get to a decision, but once the decision is made my external behavior reflects that decision usually instantaneously.

The system doesn't really seem to make a distinction between introversion and extraversion so maybe there's wiggle room. I dunno :D

MBTI Type
INFJ
Only thing is that I don't really relate to the more "extraverted" assertiveness, but more of an internal assertiveness. I think that's where I was having trouble. Also, it can take me a bit to get to a decision, but once the decision is made my external behavior reflects that decision usually instantaneously.

The system doesn't really seem to make a distinction between introversion and extraversion so maybe there's wiggle room. I dunno :D

I can totally see that for my bf as well.... and I think that Fisher mentions somewhere that she neglects the E/I dimension because she believes it doesn't matter in the process of choosing a mate...... there is a footnote somewhere in her book where she refers to in how far her system matches the MBTI, but I find the connections she draws rather flawed. I think she associates the director with the T-variable, but definitely mentions the director's abstract thinking processes which does not seem to relate to T only but rather NT (the general description of the director echoed NT rather than only T).... if she relates T to director, what happens to the STPs? explorer or director, then, or both? aaah, don't know..... sorry for rambling...

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
I can totally see that for my bf as well.... and I think that Fisher mentions somewhere that she neglects the E/I dimension because she believes it doesn't matter in the process of choosing a mate...... there is a footnote somewhere in her book where she refers to in how far her system matches the MBTI, but I find the connections she draws rather flawed. I think she associates the director with the T-variable, but definitely mentions the director's abstract thinking processes which does not seem to relate to T only but rather NT (the general description of the director echoed NT rather than only T).... if she relates T to director, what happens to the STPs? explorer or director, then, or both? aaah, don't know..... sorry for rambling...

Yeah, it's tough for STPs since the questions for director are very similar to questions in MBTI tests that are looking for Ti, and the decisive, tough-minded, impact oriented style of an STP will find similarity in the Director description, like Halla for example.

Definitely not perfect matches when paired with MBTI, but at least she uses different terminology, unlike Keirsey. Might have to get this book and check it out.

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Found the Okcupid Why You? Why Me? Test

Puts the descriptions together and got

NEGOTIATOR/explorer.

E – 22%
N – 41%
B – 19%
D – 16%

You are a NEGOTIATOR/explorer
You are a big thinker. You easily take the large, long view of almost any topic. You are comfortable juggling myriad facts. You tend to synthesize material easily and to think in webs of factors, not straight lines. You are imaginative and enjoy theorizing.

You are also socially savvy. You are good at both talking and listening. And you generally read people's faces, body postures and tone of voice accurately, so you tend to intuitively understand what people want and need.

You are also highly compassionate. You care deeply about others. So you sometimes make personal sacrifices to be a supportive friend or colleague. And you like to work to improve the world.

You enjoy new ideas and novel experiences. You are flexible, affable and open to adventure. And you admire impulsive, spontaneous people, despite your tendency to plan ahead.

You dislike conflict. You seek "win-win" solutions. And with your skill as a negotiator, you adeptly bring peace to the chaotic world around you. You are a warm, insightful and often exciting companion.

The Negotiator
Negotiators have specific personality traits that have been linked with estrogen. Although estrogen is known as a female sex hormone, men have it, too, and there are plenty of male Negotiators. As the names suggests, this type is superb at handling people. Negotiators instinctively know what others are thinking and feeling. They artfully read facial expressions, postures, gestures, and tone of voice. Their interest in identity extends not only to others but to themselves. So they are introspective and self-analytical – men and women who take pleasure in journeying into their thoughts and motives. As a result, when they form a partnership, they like to delve deeply into the strengths and weaknesses of the relationship.

Not only do Negotiators connect psychologically, they also have the ability to remain mentally flexible. When they make decisions, they weigh many variables and consider various ways to proceed; they see things contextually, rather than linearly – I call it web thinking. As a result, they tend to be comfortable with ambiguity. Negotiators can be highly intuitive and creative. And they like to theorize. Perhaps their most distinctive characteristic is verbal fluency, the facility for finding the right words rapidly. With this skill – alongside an agreeable and accommodating nature, compassion, social savvy, and patience – the Negotiator can be very friendly, diplomatic, and authentic.

But as with all qualities, these traits can warp. Negotiators sometimes become such placators they appear wishy-washy to the point of spinelessness. Because they’re not willing to confront, they can turn to backstabbing. With their need to examine all the possibilities, they can get bogged down in rumination as opposed to action. And in a relationship, their desire to connect and dissect all the subtle meanings between the two of you can become cloying and invasive.
-
Negotiators seek the ideal partner: someone with whom they can make an intensely intimate, deeply meaningful, inspiring and spiritual connection. They are popular with all types because they are flexible, appreciative, affectionate, good at reading other's thoughts and feelings, empathetic and superb at expressing their own ideas and emotions. Prefer to go out with one person at a time, and to avoid social events when getting to know someone. Can be deeply hurt by rejection. They are the most romantic of the four types. They are more complex than they often seem. Their ring fingers are usually shorter than their index fingers! Sex is an essential part of a partnership but must be mixed with romance, communication and emotional intimacy: sex and love are intertwined. They have a rich fantasy life, which can be tarnished if become disillusioned with their partner's imperfections. Negotiators trust their intuition.

The Explorer
Explorers have a very active dopamine system, a brain chemical associated with the tendency to seek novelty, among other qualities. An explorer might look up from the newspaper on Sunday and say, ‘Want to go to Warsaw?’ – and by Wednesday you’re in Poland. Champions of ‘never a dull moment,’ these adventurers live to discover new people, places, things, or ideas, often on the spur of the moment. Friends, family, and colleagues frequently regard them as highly independent and autonomous.

Explorers have more energy than most people; they tend to be restless, sometimes fast-paced. And they are highly curious – ‘For always roaming with a hungry heart,’ as Tennyson put it. Constantly generating new ideas or creative insights, they easily shift their attention from one thing to another. Although the classic Explorer is a race-car driver, South Pole trekker, or bad-boy rocker who lives hard, taking drugs and having risky sex, I know many who exercise their passion for adventure by reading several hours a day; collecting stamps, coins, or antiques; or walking through the byways of a city.

People quickly like most Explorers. Generous and sunny, they tend to be playful, sensual, sometimes hedonistic, often unpredictable, and regularly amusing. But they can be difficult to take – especially in a marriage. They do not tolerate boredom well. So they are mercenarily no interested in routine social or business events. In fact, Explorer try to avoid routine of almost any kind, and can trample on anther person’s cherished beliefs and habits – not to mention be impatient.
-
Explorers tend to regard courting as entertainment. They are highly sensitive to the world around them and like the pleasures of the senses. They want someone to go adventuring with them--a playmate. It is easy for them to laugh at themselves. They entertain, even perform. They like music that is intense and complicated. Most have a good deal of experience at dating. They are good at listening and talking. They find self-disclosure difficult. Their attitude toward sex is relaxed. Explorers trust their impulses.

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
Director / explorer

You seek challenges. You are a tough-minded, independent thinker who likes to explore ideas or problems thoroughly. You focus easily. And you are systematic and exacting in pursuing your interests and goals. You are also assertive. You have a lot of energy. You think quickly, make decisions faster than most, and take an analytical approach to people, issues and ideas.

You are not conventional in your attitudes or values. Autonomy is essential to you. You do not follow the rules unless the rules are logical and useful. Nor do you unreservedly respect authority. Instead, you tend to be skeptical, irreverent and pragmatic. And you are comfortable working or pursuing your hobbies alone.

Yet you have a wild side. You are daring; you like novel ideas and new adventures. You are not interested in maintaining routine social engagements either, and you can't tolerate "small talk." Instead, you make a few very close friends, particularly with individuals who share your interests.

Seems interesting, but again relies on self-reportage, so it's difficult to ascertain how accurate this test really is.

P

Phantonym

Who writes these descriptions? I come out so awesome. :banana: Can't say that I complain. :coffee:

NEGOTIATOR/Builder

You are interested in the big picture. You like to examine large, ambiguous issues and ideas. You carefully weigh all of the variables involved, connect disparate facts in novel ways and regularly come up with imaginative solutions to complex problems. You see holistically and can be visionary.

You are friendly and humane. You have a big heart; you tend to trust people and sympathize with them easily. You intuitively know what they are thinking and feeling. And because you are agreeable and mentally flexible, you go out of your way to make others comfortable and happy. You seek to make intimate, meaningful friendships.

Your empathy and altruism spill over into a desire to make the world a better place. And with your resilience and imagination, your ability to do many things at the same time, your people skills and your command of language, you can be remarkably effective at improving the lives of others.

You are also traditional. You have clear moral values and tend to stick to your point of view. Yet you almost always seek consensus and harmony, and are willing to give up some of your pleasures to build an orderly, harmonious home and family life.

* Sees the big picture
* Imaginative
* Intuitive
* Verbal skills
* Empathetic
* Trusting
* Introspective

Builder secondary traits

* Traditional
* Social
* Loyal
* Dependable
* Patient
* Community oriented
* Orderly

You are a die-hard romantic, and you must have depth and meaning in your relationships. You like heart-to-heart exchanges that explore personal philosophies, goals, ethical dilemmas, and the meanings behind art, music, poetry or some other abstract topic. You are emotionally expressive and want your partner to share his or her genuine self with you. You also admire people who make plans and schedules. And you are attracted to a mate with a fixed moral compass. Moreover, for you, love must be embedded in a stable long-term relationship beginning with a march down the aisle. Most important, to balance your imaginative and supple spirit, you gravitate to people who know their own mind, make decisions quickly, focus on one thing at a time and can provide a stable home. And you can be very sensitive to your mate, communicating your emotions clearly and tenderly.

Relating to others
You tend to be well-adjusted, trusting, compassionate, intuitive and interested in people. And you work to keep your networks intact. You also look in as well as out; you are introspective. And you like probing the meanings of life. So you avoid casual chit-chat. You can be so agreeable that some people may overlook your complex personality.

Things to be aware of

* Your need to please can make you placating and your trusting nature can make you gullible.

Spark Factor
You tend to naturally gravitate to the DIRECTOR/builders.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

From what i can tell, Director seems to reflect a more MBTI xST(J?) mindset, while Negotiator reflects a more xNF(P?). I connect far more with the N(P?) aspects of the Negotiator than the F aspects, and more with the T aspects of Director than the S(J?) aspects.

So it's not really the same sort of archetypical breakdown of Kiersey or MBTI, per se.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

If so, I think that's a major failing, since that's the dimension with the most scientific backing. Also, pretty important in relationships.
so testosterone is supposed to help, or hinder spatial reasoning? i seem to be good at making measurements (like in this test) and remembering visual details for instance ('what is missing' etc), but not so good at mechanical reasoning or complex mental image rotation.
Help with most pure spatial reasoning tasks, hinder in the "what is missing" (i.e. memory/object relationship) type tasks. This assumption is based on the difference between what men are usually better at and what women are usually better at.
BBC - Science & Nature - Sex ID - Spatial Abilities

It's also thought that the male sex hormone testosterone plays a role in spatial ability. One finding that supports this theory is that women with above average levels of testosterone in their body perform better at mental rotation tasks than women with average levels of testosterone.
I find this correlation suspect, since the fact that men produce 20 times more testosterone than women should mean that they always outperform on these tasks. And they don't. However, pre-natal influence of testosterone on the developing brain may play a part.

From what i can tell, Director seems to reflect a more MBTI xST(J?) mindset, while Negotiator reflects a more xNF(P?). I connect far more with the N(P?) aspects of the Negotiator than the F aspects, and more with the T aspects of Director than the S(J?) aspects.

So it's not really the same sort of archetypical breakdown of Kiersey or MBTI, per se.
I agree Director seems TJ. I don't think the clustering of attributes is as helpful as Keirsey /MBTI. Still interesting though.