• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Do you have a racist bias?

Splittet

Wannabe genius
MBTI Type
INTJ
I wonder how much it was influenced by declaring myself "slightly conservative" and "White, non-Latino" at the beginning. . . :huh:

Didn't influence it at all. They gather that information for statistical purposes, it doesn't influence the test results. For example they would want to see if conservatives are more biased than liberals...

MBTI Type
INxJ
I'm equally cynical and suspicious of everyone. Not for race though. I'm just a good old fashioned misanthrope.

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
"Your data suggest little to no automatic preference between European American and African American."

I suppose that's easier to take this test when you live in a country with less biases towards people of african ancestry than the US.
My next-door neighbors are from Mali, and the whole building is very mixed up (europeans, arabs, indians, vietnameses, and africans).

I like metropolis crowds... :hug:

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
Fascinating...

Black vs White - No preference

Gay vs Straight - Slight straight preference

Young vs Old - Moderate young preference

But come on, how can you NOT associate "agony" with old age?

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
It's like this, you've got to be wise enough to live long enough to get there, nolla, and then you "get it!" ;)

And, live well I might add, or old age WILL produce agony.

When I hear people spouting words of ageism my secret satisfaction (rationalization, if you prefer) is knowing I've been there, done that.

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
More, cuz I'm workin' on hitting 100 posts today thus boosting my status hereabouts.)

I remind myself daily to create in mysef the person I want to be tomorrow cuz that's who I'm going to live with tomorrow! Make sense?

It's extremely valuable to start seeing one's elders as useful humans so that when/if you get there you aren't a victim of your own prejudices.

I'll go on:

Once upon a time people weren't so transient. I'll use our midwestern farmers as an example. A man and woman married and built a huge house upon their farm land. They raised many children as a necessity because farm work was hard manual labor.

Eventually their physical powers waned and the farm was deeded over to one of the oldest children, usually a male.

Then they often built a small house for themselves and lived on the land with their children. But they weren't useless. Grandma sat in her rocking chair and sewed quilts and tended the small children or, if she were able, cooked for the next generation's growing brood. She probably also served as the family historian, passing on information that helped provide the younger family members a sense of pride and identification.

Grandpa wandered about and made a general nuisance of himself telling the young men the "proper" way to farm. (See my sexist bias here?)

In that way, of financial necessity, the generations bonded and the elders' precious family values of dilligence and persistence were honored and passed to the next generation.

When Grandpa and grandma moved on, there was the small house for the grandchildren to bring their brides home to.

There was self-sufficiency and interdependency in that way of life which is rapidly disappearing.

Though I didn't belong to a farm family I have realized that there is a beautful simplicity in this way of life that promotes generational mutual respect. (With plenty of aggravation thrown in to spice things up, I suspect.) Well. And learning how to deal with aggravation in relationships, of necessity.

Do I sound like an old phart longing for days goneby yet? I'm in veritable agony! Hee.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
It's like this, you've got to be wise enough to live long enough to get there, nolla, and then you "get it!" ;)

:) Isn't it ageism to claim that it is not possible for me to understand old people if I'm not old myself.

In that way, of financial necessity, the generations bonded and the elders' precious family values of dilligence and persistence were honored and passed to the next generation.

I have realized that there is a beautful simplicity in this way of life that promotes generational mutual respect. (With plenty of aggravation thrown in to spice things up, I suspect.) Well. And learning how to deal with aggravation in relationships, of necessity.

Yes, I've thought about this. The old folks are devalued now and it leads to all kinds of trouble. Think about the advantage of grandmother taking care of the little ones. She has been a parent before, so she wont make so many mistakes anymore. The society is selling out life experience and buying retirement homes.

But, if we talk about the test, I think there should have been words like "wise" or "experienced" to balance out the "agony", "pain" and so on.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
This is what I got on several of the tests. Make of it what you will.

Your data suggest a moderate association of Male with Career and Female with Family compared to Female with Career and Male with Family.

Your data suggest little to no automatic preference between African American and European American.

Your data suggest a slight automatic preference for Old compared to Young.

Your data suggest little to no automatic preference between Judaism and Other Religions.

Your data suggest a strong automatic preference for Bill Clinton compared to George W. Bush.

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
:) Isn't it ageism to claim that it is not possible for me to understand old people if I'm not old myself.

Yup. :yes: Another advantage of getting old! You can act like you know everything.

Yes, I've thought about this. The old folks are devalued now and it leads to all kinds of trouble. Think about the advantage of grandmother taking care of the little ones. She has been a parent before, so she wont make so many mistakes anymore. The society is selling out life experience and buying retirement homes.

You sound like a wise young person. When elders feel useless they often lose their drive for life and just hang around waiting to die. (Then they're a real pain in the pocket.)

But, if we talk about the test, I think there should have been words like "wise" or "experienced" to balance out the "agony", "pain" and so on.

Ach. Where I'm at a disadvantage because I didn't see the test. But given what you say, perhaps the wording itself is ageist? Probably written by someone YOUNG. Heh.

A Finn? I'm a tad Saami.

Usehername

On a mission
I probably have a subconscious racist bias--99% of people that I interact with/see are white Canadian Euro descendants.

Oou, I have one: At my university, we have a disproportionate amount of Asians relative to the city's population. Asians study. A lot.

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
That's the thing about stereotypes. . .

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
Saami from Northern Finland. The Vikings, you know. . .

I'm still learning about them but it sounds like on your Finnish TV it might be equivalent to the "Beverly Hillbillies!"

I've seen old photos of them and they are very handsome people.

Thanks for the URL. I didn't take the test.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
Saami from Northern Finland. The Vikings, you know. . .

I'm still learning about them but it sounds like on your Finnish TV it might be equivalent to the "Beverly Hillbillies!"

I've seen old photos of them and they are very handsome people.

I think vikings were mostly Norwegian...

The Saami have been stereotyped as drunk folk who sit in their tents and sing weird traditional songs :) This comes from a popular comedy show in the early nineties.

Saami girls are beautiful :yes:

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
Yes, my peeps were Vikings. But I have found out that they did a little "shopping" in northern Finland. They did a little "shopping" most all over, I think. Funny thing since they usually brought their wives with them. (Somebody had to serve the lutefisk. . .)

We've noticed that many in our family have Asian eyes.

*Goin' off in her leather leggings with her bottle of aqavit to croon in the Coleman.*

Lateralus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
I wouldn't say I do [have a racist bias], but I definitely have a cultural bias. I try to stay away from unknown people who have their waistbands on their thighs and bigass caps on sideways.
Yep, my initial reaction to someone is governed far more by their dress than their skin color. I have a pretty strong cultural bias. It's annoying that some people, in their zeal to 'rid the world of racism', can't tell the difference.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
*sings* Everyone's a little bit racist...

Uytuun

MBTI Type
nnnn
Your data suggest a moderate automatic preference for African American compared to European American.

Uh, white people.

We don't have that many black people over here, though, so considering the lack of familiarity, it's slightly weird. Or maybe I'm yearning for something new.

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
It is difficult to learn about other cultural types without personal access to many. College will provide some experience but not the same type as living next door.