User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    I wonder how much it was influenced by declaring myself "slightly conservative" and "White, non-Latino" at the beginning. . .
    Didn't influence it at all. They gather that information for statistical purposes, it doesn't influence the test results. For example they would want to see if conservatives are more biased than liberals...
    "Neither a lofty degree of intelligence nor imagination nor both together go to the making of genius. Love, love, love, that is the soul of genius." - Wolfgang Amadé Mozart

MBTI
    INxJ

I'm equally cynical and suspicious of everyone. Not for race though. I'm just a good old fashioned misanthrope.

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

"Your data suggest little to no automatic preference between European American and African American."

I suppose that's easier to take this test when you live in a country with less biases towards people of african ancestry than the US.
    My next-door neighbors are from Mali, and the whole building is very mixed up (europeans, arabs, indians, vietnameses, and africans).

I like metropolis crowds...
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Fascinating...

Black vs White - No preference

Gay vs Straight - Slight straight preference

Young vs Old - Moderate young preference
    But come on, how can you NOT associate "agony" with old age?

MBTI
    INFP

It's like this, you've got to be wise enough to live long enough to get there, nolla, and then you "get it!"

And, live well I might add, or old age WILL produce agony.

When I hear people spouting words of ageism my secret satisfaction (rationalization, if you prefer) is knowing I've been there, done that.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    INFP

More, cuz I'm workin' on hitting 100 posts today thus boosting my status hereabouts.)

I remind myself daily to create in mysef the person I want to be tomorrow cuz that's who I'm going to live with tomorrow! Make sense?

It's extremely valuable to start seeing one's elders as useful humans so that when/if you get there you aren't a victim of your own prejudices.

I'll go on:

Once upon a time people weren't so transient. I'll use our midwestern farmers as an example. A man and woman married and built a huge house upon their farm land. They raised many children as a necessity because farm work was hard manual labor.

Eventually their physical powers waned and the farm was deeded over to one of the oldest children, usually a male.

Then they often built a small house for themselves and lived on the land with their children. But they weren't useless. Grandma sat in her rocking chair and sewed quilts and tended the small children or, if she were able, cooked for the next generation's growing brood. She probably also served as the family historian, passing on information that helped provide the younger family members a sense of pride and identification.

Grandpa wandered about and made a general nuisance of himself telling the young men the "proper" way to farm. (See my sexist bias here?)

In that way, of financial necessity, the generations bonded and the elders' precious family values of dilligence and persistence were honored and passed to the next generation.

When Grandpa and grandma moved on, there was the small house for the grandchildren to bring their brides home to.

There was self-sufficiency and interdependency in that way of life which is rapidly disappearing.

Though I didn't belong to a farm family I have realized that there is a beautful simplicity in this way of life that promotes generational mutual respect. (With plenty of aggravation thrown in to spice things up, I suspect.) Well. And learning how to deal with aggravation in relationships, of necessity.

Do I sound like an old phart longing for days goneby yet? I'm in veritable agony! Hee.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Anja View Post
    It's like this, you've got to be wise enough to live long enough to get there, nolla, and then you "get it!"
    Isn't it ageism to claim that it is not possible for me to understand old people if I'm not old myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Anja View Post
    In that way, of financial necessity, the generations bonded and the elders' precious family values of dilligence and persistence were honored and passed to the next generation.

I have realized that there is a beautful simplicity in this way of life that promotes generational mutual respect. (With plenty of aggravation thrown in to spice things up, I suspect.) Well. And learning how to deal with aggravation in relationships, of necessity.
    Yes, I've thought about this. The old folks are devalued now and it leads to all kinds of trouble. Think about the advantage of grandmother taking care of the little ones. She has been a parent before, so she wont make so many mistakes anymore. The society is selling out life experience and buying retirement homes.

But, if we talk about the test, I think there should have been words like "wise" or "experienced" to balance out the "agony", "pain" and so on.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LIE

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    We all have racist biases. (C)ould you see a black person or a white person in a alley way in the middle of the night?
    Fixed.
    I N V I C T U S

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

This is what I got on several of the tests. Make of it what you will.

Your data suggest a moderate association of Male with Career and Female with Family compared to Female with Career and Male with Family.

Your data suggest little to no automatic preference between African American and European American.

Your data suggest a slight automatic preference for Old compared to Young.

Your data suggest little to no automatic preference between Judaism and Other Religions.

Your data suggest a strong automatic preference for Bill Clinton compared to George W. Bush.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    Isn't it ageism to claim that it is not possible for me to understand old people if I'm not old myself.

Yup. Another advantage of getting old! You can act like you know everything.

Yes, I've thought about this. The old folks are devalued now and it leads to all kinds of trouble. Think about the advantage of grandmother taking care of the little ones. She has been a parent before, so she wont make so many mistakes anymore. The society is selling out life experience and buying retirement homes.

You sound like a wise young person. When elders feel useless they often lose their drive for life and just hang around waiting to die. (Then they're a real pain in the pocket.)

But, if we talk about the test, I think there should have been words like "wise" or "experienced" to balance out the "agony", "pain" and so on.
    Ach. Where I'm at a disadvantage because I didn't see the test. But given what you say, perhaps the wording itself is ageist? Probably written by someone YOUNG. Heh.

A Finn? I'm a tad Saami.