• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Spark's satirical MBTI ripoff

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
I've quit an otherwise excellent job over frustration with mindful repetition? :)

Heh heh, fair enough... but just saying - without a normal distributions it is very hard to say if a job is "of that type". If anything, STJs are under represented relative to corporate breakdowns while NTJs are over represented. (Although there is another reason for this, but anyway.)

But back to the main point. STPs as accountants? HELL NO.

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ
Heh heh, fair enough... but just saying - without a normal distributions it is very hard to say if a job is "of that type".

Hey, I started out saying I'd die a little bit every day. :yes:

If anything, STJs are under represented relative to corporate breakdowns while NTJs are over represented. (Although there is another reason for this, but anyway.)

It's my thread, please continue the derail. :D

But back to the main point. STPs as accountants? HELL NO.

;)

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
It's my thread, please continue the derail. :D

IQ distribution... You really want that kind of a derail? :D

(I meant the statement No, but they're very relevant for degree of job satisfaction as an accountant. might not apply to all Ns, so it might not be correct to say entirely... or rather that the TJ traits dominate the N/S trait)

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ
IQ distribution... You really want that kind of a derail? :D

Oh. :doh: No, never mind...

(I meant the statement No, but they're very relevant for degree of job satisfaction as an accountant. might not apply to all Ns, so it might not be correct to say entirely... or rather that the TJ traits dominate the N/S trait)

... But I would like to know if NTJs are more likely to become accountants than STJs when you control for corporate representation?

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
... But I would like to know if NTJs are more likely to become accountants than STJs when you control for corporate representation?

In short, yes. Long answer is - maybe. Extremely long answer is "I don't know for sure".

In short, the distribution of corporations is heavily based towards Ts already. At the middle manager (what I'm using as a proxy for accountant positions, since they don't fall under entry), INTJs already represent ~10% of the population in corporate cultures... ISTJs are roughly ~30%. Yet, accountants make up some 15-18% ISTJs and 10-13% INTJs. Course, taking the "entry" class of positions makes it worse - INTJs are only 3% of entry level positions, making their jump up is gigantic.

Its very fuzzy, but the numbers are hugely divergent. INTJs top out at about 16% (executive positions) and bottom out at 3% (entry)... ISTJs range from about 15% to 33%. When you place Accountants on each scale, INTJs are at the top end of their preference while ISTJs are at the bottom.

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ
Okay, I totally did not understand that. :cry:

I'll take that as my cue that I should log off for the night. Besides, the first episode of House (indirectly so glowingly recommended in the typing subforum) has just finished downloading. (And I don't want to miss out on that thread. :whistling:)

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
Ok, I'm not sure I would of understood what I said either.

Here's a graph;

attachment.php

In short, INTJs prefer accounting roughly as much as they prefer any of the higher positions - that can be read in all sorts of ways. INTJs use accounting to get in, or the ones that are there couldn't move up or whatever, but there you go. INTJs chose accounting significantly.

However, ISTJs are at the bottom for their preference... that can also be read however one wants, but it comes down to a lot more of them finding jobs in the corporate environment that do not involve accounting (at least not by title).

The problem with the data is pretty large, of course, so don't take it as some form of proof.

Regardless, no matter how you slice it, INTJs represent far far more than they should.... more than ISTJs do, be it from a total population, corporate or corporate level POV.

Last edited:

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
Did I miss something... Where is this data coming from?

It looks like maybe this is inferring that INTJ's prefer accounting as much as other positions because there are a disproportionate number of them in the field relative to the total number of them employed with a corporation. Just because they're in an accounting position doesn't mean they prefer it. :)

In short, INTJs prefer accounting roughly as much as they prefer any of the higher positions - that can be read in all sorts of ways. INTJs use accounting to get in, or the ones that are there couldn't move up or whatever, but there you go. INTJs chose accounting significantly.
Regardless, no matter how you slice it, INTJs represent far far more than they should.... more than ISTJs do, be it from a total population, corporate or corporate level POV.

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
Did I miss something... Where is this data coming from?

Type Talk at Work + American Accounting Association

It looks like maybe this is inferring that INTJ's prefer accounting as much as other positions because there are a disproportionate number of them in the field relative to the total number of them employed with a corporation. Just because they're in an accounting position doesn't mean they prefer it. :)

Yes - however this is more in response to it being an "ISTJ" job rather than an INTJ job. It's not nearly that clear.

(Although I think there is an argument that when one type gets over represented in a group, they tend to have the characteristics that make them good and/or like it... However, I am not making that argument here... There are other factors that change the population distribution. )

The only thing I will say is that accounting is largely a TJ job (each individually dramatically push out their opposing traits), while it isn't as clear on I/E and N/S (although I is preferred, just not as clearly).

Falcarius

The Unwieldy Clawed One
MBTI Type
COOL
That's a hefty percentage for Dominant, Falcarius - you sure you're a P? :D

Not really.

I don't think online tests are good at testing someones "P" or "J". Half the time I come out as a "P" and the other half obviously a "J".

Just put it this way, I am good at orgarnising things I care about like my CD or book collections, I even go as far as rearranging them for fun. But I am completely unable to turn up to appointments on time. For example, the other day I thought I was about 35 minutes late for an appointment, so I was rushing to get there on time. When I did finally get there I was plaeased, as I thought I got my lateness down to 17 minutes, only to find I was not 17 minutes late but 10 days and 17 minutes late.:blush:

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
This article on the unusually high percentage of STJs in Australian accounting is interesting.

We find over a five-year period using the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) a consistently high STJ preference of 35-46% exists which is much greater than the US national average of 19%. We need a better mix of personality NOW.

Reference:
Critical Perspectives on Accounting, Volume 18, Issue 5, July 2007, Pages 511-537

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
This article on the unusually high percentage of STJs in Australian accounting is interesting.

Reference:
Critical Perspectives on Accounting, Volume 18, Issue 5, July 2007, Pages 511-537

Far as I know, the average in the us for STJ is roughly 32-40% - split roughly down the middle from ISTJ and ESTJ... so I'm not sure what to make of the claim that 19% in America are - perhaps the definition being used is off? Far as I know, the 30-40% range is normal here (CAs and up). I couldn't find the full article, actually, but I haven't checked the business library yet. And all of the other ones I want aren't available either <_< Figures.

In any case, it wouldn't matter much - it would just emphasise the NTJs are overly dominant (it would become an "NTJ" profession) in America (ie: ISTJs would now be lower than INTJs in accounting, except that there are twice as many ISTJs out in the world.) Using the 45% = STJs jumps accountants from 18 to 22% - so even at the highest range, the difference isn't that significant (although cutting it from 18% to 9%, as per the American 'average', is huge).

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
You are a Dreamer!
(Submissive Introverted Abstract Feeler)

You are a DREAMER (SIAF)— reserved and imaginative. You are basically the shy, silent type. You don't have much interest in facts and figures or most of what's going on around you, but the internal worlds you build for yourself are rich and complex. Luckily, your creativity and strong heart mean you have a deep personality evident to anyone who gets to know you. It's just that not many people do. Talk to yourself less, other people more.

Dreamer, maybe
but: Introverted :wtf:

Mycroft

The elder Holmes
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I have to wonder how many of these "INTJ" accountants are actually ISTJs who found the substantially more flattering iNtuitive descriptions more appealing.

I realize I'm pulling a total argumentation faux pas here (read: anecdotal and using myself as a mighty demographic of one), but I can't fathom anyone whose mind is structured similarly to my own deriving any sort of pleasure from or desiring to become a bean counter.

(If nothing else, thanks to this post I had a chance to use italics for what they're actually intended for once.)

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
You are a Mastermind!
(Submissive Introverted Abstract Thinker)

You are a MASTERMIND (SIAT). You can be silent and withdrawn, but behind your reserved exterior lies an active mind that allows you to analyze situations and come up with creative, unexpected solutions. Normal people call this scheming.

Anyway, your sense of style and originality are your strengths, and people will respect your judgment once they get to know you. If you learn to be a little more personable, you could be a great leader -- you've definitely got the vision thing down. Just make sure all the plotting you do behind those eyes of yours is healthy.

Famous masterminds in television: Dr. Claw, The Scarecrow and Mrs. King, Montgomery Burns.
Compared to 15,061,051 other test takers...
43% are more Submissive than you.

36% are more Dominant than you.
21% are just as Submissive as you.
8% are more Introverted than you.

81% are more Extroverted than you.
10% are just as Introverted as you.
33% are more Abstract than you.

45% are more Concrete than you.
22% are just as Abstract as you.
2% are more Thinking than you.

96% are more Feeling than you.

Is that INTJ? They're usually called the "Mastermind" type. It didn't give me a high score on Feeling, but that's only because it seemed like none of the questions had anything to do with Feeling... :shock:

Well, I hope I'm not an INT, because very few people like them. Come to think of it, I usually like them, but... I still prefer to think of myself as a type that's more generally well-liked.

Dansker

MBTI Type
INTP
You are a Mastermind!
(Submissive Introverted Abstract Thinker)

You are a MASTERMIND (SIAT). You can be silent and withdrawn, but behind your reserved exterior lies an active mind that allows you to analyze situations and come up with creative, unexpected solutions. Normal people call this scheming.

Anyway, your sense of style and originality are your strengths, and people will respect your judgment once they get to know you. If you learn to be a little more personable, you could be a great leader— you've definitely got the vision thing down. Just make sure all the plotting you do behind those eyes of yours is healthy.

Famous masterminds in television: Dr. Claw, The Scarecrow and Mrs. King, Montgomery Burns.

Mycroft

The elder Holmes
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
It sounds like they swapped the INTP and INTJ descriptions...

lecky

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
"Your are a HELPER WHO FINDS MISSING CHILDREN OVER THE INTERNET (SICF). You are very tentative in the world and introverted with people— which means you are the shy and silent type (hence the Internet.) But behind your reserved exterior lies a dedicated person with a passion for the concrete truth who wants to, in his heart of hearts, help find missing children. God bless you."

oookay?