User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    Any reason why you think this would be so?
    I've quit an otherwise excellent job over frustration with mindful repetition?

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Economica View Post
    I've quit an otherwise excellent job over frustration with mindful repetition?
    Heh heh, fair enough... but just saying - without a normal distributions it is very hard to say if a job is "of that type". If anything, STJs are under represented relative to corporate breakdowns while NTJs are over represented. (Although there is another reason for this, but anyway.)

But back to the main point. STPs as accountants? HELL NO.

MBTI
    INTJ

Heh heh, fair enough... but just saying - without a normal distributions it is very hard to say if a job is "of that type".
    Hey, I started out saying I'd die a little bit every day.

If anything, STJs are under represented relative to corporate breakdowns while NTJs are over represented. (Although there is another reason for this, but anyway.)
    It's my thread, please continue the derail.

But back to the main point. STPs as accountants? HELL NO.

MBTI
    ISTP

It's my thread, please continue the derail.
    IQ distribution... You really want that kind of a derail?

(I meant the statement No, but they're very relevant for degree of job satisfaction as an accountant. might not apply to all Ns, so it might not be correct to say entirely... or rather that the TJ traits dominate the N/S trait)

MBTI
    INTJ

IQ distribution... You really want that kind of a derail?
    Oh. No, never mind...

(I meant the statement No, but they're very relevant for degree of job satisfaction as an accountant. might not apply to all Ns, so it might not be correct to say entirely... or rather that the TJ traits dominate the N/S trait)
    ... But I would like to know if NTJs are more likely to become accountants than STJs when you control for corporate representation?

MBTI
    ISTP

... But I would like to know if NTJs are more likely to become accountants than STJs when you control for corporate representation?
    In short, yes. Long answer is - maybe. Extremely long answer is "I don't know for sure".

In short, the distribution of corporations is heavily based towards Ts already. At the middle manager (what I'm using as a proxy for accountant positions, since they don't fall under entry), INTJs already represent ~10% of the population in corporate cultures... ISTJs are roughly ~30%. Yet, accountants make up some 15-18% ISTJs and 10-13% INTJs. Course, taking the "entry" class of positions makes it worse - INTJs are only 3% of entry level positions, making their jump up is gigantic.

Its very fuzzy, but the numbers are hugely divergent. INTJs top out at about 16% (executive positions) and bottom out at 3% (entry)... ISTJs range from about 15% to 33%. When you place Accountants on each scale, INTJs are at the top end of their preference while ISTJs are at the bottom.

MBTI
    INTJ

Okay, I totally did not understand that.

I'll take that as my cue that I should log off for the night. Besides, the first episode of House (indirectly so glowingly recommended in the typing subforum) has just finished downloading. (And I don't want to miss out on that thread. )

Okay, I totally did not understand that.
    Me neither.

MBTI
    ISTP

Ok, I'm not sure I would of understood what I said either.

Here's a graph;

In short, INTJs prefer accounting roughly as much as they prefer any of the higher positions - that can be read in all sorts of ways. INTJs use accounting to get in, or the ones that are there couldn't move up or whatever, but there you go. INTJs chose accounting significantly.

However, ISTJs are at the bottom for their preference... that can also be read however one wants, but it comes down to a lot more of them finding jobs in the corporate environment that do not involve accounting (at least not by title).

The problem with the data is pretty large, of course, so don't take it as some form of proof.

Regardless, no matter how you slice it, INTJs represent far far more than they should.... more than ISTJs do, be it from a total population, corporate or corporate level POV.
    Last edited by ptgatsby; 01-21-2008 at 12:17 PM.

Did I miss something... Where is this data coming from?

It looks like maybe this is inferring that INTJ's prefer accounting as much as other positions because there are a disproportionate number of them in the field relative to the total number of them employed with a corporation. Just because they're in an accounting position doesn't mean they prefer it.

In short, INTJs prefer accounting roughly as much as they prefer any of the higher positions - that can be read in all sorts of ways. INTJs use accounting to get in, or the ones that are there couldn't move up or whatever, but there you go. INTJs chose accounting significantly.
    Regardless, no matter how you slice it, INTJs represent far far more than they should.... more than ISTJs do, be it from a total population, corporate or corporate level POV.