• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

High IQ Society

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I once had a couple of lectures on eduactional psychology. IQ seems to acount for about 25-30% of school achievement, though the lecturer didn't put footnotes in there to state where exactly she got the information from. I think they're taken from this book.

Another interesting question is exactly how someone has extrapolated that figure. In other words, how can one properly weigh out the factors regarding what contributes to a person's success in school and to what degree. I am not saying that this is impossible to accomplish, but rather that how it can be isn't obvious.

For instance, a coach of the swimming team may say that 50% of their success was talent and the other 50% was perserverance. This judgment is almost purely intuitive and lacks rigor. Generally when most people make such judgments, they rely on rather imprecise reasoning techniques. Hopefully whoever made that claim about IQ and school performance employed a far more rigorous method of statistical reasoning.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
Yeah... made it.

YOUR IQ SCORE IS:

Your score places you in the top five percent of the population. This qualifies you for membership in the International High IQ Society.

Mad Hatter

Head Pigeon
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
-1w
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Another interesting question is exactly how someone has extrapolated that figure. In other words, how can one properly weigh out the factors regarding what contributes to a person's success in school and to what degree. I am not saying that this is impossible to accomplish, but rather that how it can be isn't obvious.

For instance, a coach of the swimming team may say that 50% of their success was talent and the other 50% was perserverance. This judgment is almost purely intuitive and lacks rigor. Generally when most people make such judgments, they rely on rather imprecise reasoning techniques. Hopefully whoever made that claim about IQ and school performance employed a far more rigorous method of statistical reasoning.

You're quite right. I have to admit that it's absolutely not my field of expertise and the presentation we were given had to be simplified accordingly. It was more geared towards teaching methods in general and more or less wanted to raise awareness of the issue. (If you know German, I could send you a PDF though). I do believe however that the results presented there had methodical rigor.

A whole lot other things have to be factored in as determinants of school achievement such as perception of one's own abilities and motivation, which is probably the one factor which can be influenced the most. Since it isn't exactly what I'm studying, I didn't pursue the matter further.

aeon

Potoumchka
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
132. Whatever.

I was administered the Stanford-Binet when I was 10 years old. My (high) score started a roller-coaster ride of events that overall, I did not enjoy. I was treated as something other than a person.

I've felt embarrassed about it since so I don't share the number. I don't want to be judged/made fun of/excluded/talked about/treated differently.

cheers,
Ian

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
132. Whatever.

I was administered the Stanford-Binet when I was 10 years old. My (high) score started a roller-coaster ride of events that overall, I did not enjoy. I was treated as something other than a person.

I've felt embarrassed about it since so I don't share the number. I don't want to be judged/made fun of/excluded/talked about/treated differently.

cheers,
Ian

Haha that sucks. They put me in retar... class for special people for 5 years until they found out I am shitting them. But god damnit never had it that easy in school again :D

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
Haha that sucks. They put me in retar... class for special people for 5 years until they found out I am shitting them. But god damnit never had it that easy in school again :D

I usually have a hard time figuring out if you are serious or kidding.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
You're quite right. I have to admit that it's absolutely not my field of expertise and the presentation we were given had to be simplified accordingly. It was more geared towards teaching methods in general and more or less wanted to raise awareness of the issue. (If you know German, I could send you a PDF though). I do believe however that the results presented there had methodical rigor.

A whole lot other things have to be factored in as determinants of school achievement such as perception of one's own abilities and motivation, which is probably the one factor which can be influenced the most. Since it isn't exactly what I'm studying, I didn't pursue the matter further.

Unfortunately I do not know German, as I would be interested in reading the article directly. Lets suppose that the method was statistically refined rather than a mere crude intuitive judgment that the aforementioned coach of the swimming team made.

The next question that should be asked is exactly what did the mean when they used the word 'IQ' in that statement? Presumably they meant that a person's ability to score highly on an official IQ test contributes to 25-30% of his success as using any other method than IQ testing to appraise a person's IQ would be presumptuous, if not arbitrary.

Obviously, nothing but certain qualities that a person can be said to contribute 25-30% of his success. Thus, the fact alone that a person attained a certain score on the IQ test cannot be regarded as a contributive factor. Only the implication thereof can. What the author of the quote you've cited regards as this implication is crucial. Does he believe that IQ tests reflect pure intelligence? If so, the claim he is making is tantamount to the suggestion that intelligence contributes to 25-30% of academic success.

If this is the assumption that he has been working under then it does not at all rescue the IQ tests from the charge of inability to accurately gauge intelligence. That is so because the proposition that IQ tests accurately assess a person's intelligence has been assumed rather than arrived at by plausible reasoning grounded on uncontroversial premises.

Even if, as you say, the author had methodological rigor, he or she has only established that intelligence contributes to 25-30% of academic success. Such a claim is altogether irrelevant to the question of how accurately IQ tests reflect a person's intelligence.

Jonny

null
MBTI Type
FREE
Although there is a positive correlation between a high IQ and success at work and school, one can plausibly argue that it is still not indicative of the fundamental qualities of a person's character.

I'm not sure if anyone has ever argued that IQ is indicative of the fundamental qualities of a person's character; I certainly was not.

Critics of the Bell Curve have raised the objection that the IQ test is manipulable and far too simple to be indicative of a person's true intelligence or other requisite merit for high performance as a student and an employee.

"Charles R. Tittle, Thomas Rotolo found that the more that written, IQ-like examinations are used as screening devices for occupational access, the stronger the relationship between IQ and income. Thus, rather than higher IQ leading to status attainment because it indicates skills needed in a modern society, IQ may reflect the same test-taking abilities used in artificial screening devices by which status groups protect their domains." (The Bell Curve - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

In other words, because of the inadequacy of the IQ tests, it is possible for people to attain high IQ tests by becoming good test takers rather than by displaying intelligence. Similarly to how people can attain degrees from universities by becoming 'good students' rather than displaying an aptitude for learning.

I do not necessarily disagree with this. Someone made a claim that IQ was not really indicative of anything, and I simply put forth the idea that it is possibly indicative of something. At the very least, it's indicative of a good test taker, perhaps.

I do believe that you are correct to claim that there is a distinct positive correlation between having a high IQ and success in various aspects of life, however the view of the poster you disagreed with has merit. It could be argued that a person's blood type would be as highly correlated with success as IQ is today under certain social conditions. That is, if universities accepted applicants only with one particular blood type. This runs a parallel today to how many only accept students who are able to score highly on the GRE or ACT. Generally, a person's score on the GRE or ACT correlates highly to his IQ and so are the grades. Thus, if a person manages to succeed in one of those activities, he is far more likely to succeed in others than someone who hasn't managed to do so.

I don't believe I made any such claim, I simply referenced a wikipedia article about possible positive correlations with IQ. Arguing about what would or could be is irrelevant when talking about what is; if you seek to change the environment, that is a different matter. In order to predict anything, one must have an understanding of the environment in which the thing to be predicted exists(In this case I consider the laws of the universe and our social laws as kinds of environments). In the case of the United States, evidence seems to suggest that IQ does in fact correlate with certain other circumstances, thus lending the knowledge of someone's IQ some predictive value, regardless of the reasons why.

To exemplify this point, consider the fact of the multitude of dull, yet industrious and ambitious students who manage to attain BAs and often MAs. Since they managed to pass many tests that are by far more intellectually demanding than any IQ test, its difficult to imagine that with sufficient dedication and perseverance, they won't be able to attain a high IQ test result. It is a striking fact about our educational system that a person's grades correlate highly to his ACT or GRE scores which also correlate highly to a person's IQ. However, since we do not have the temerity to assert that a person's grades accurately reflect his level of intelligence, we are not in the position to maintain that standardized IQ testing also does.

Are school tests always more intellectually demanding, in terms of density? Perhaps four years spent taking IQ test after IQ test, each one different and new, would be much more intense. Besides, IQ is somewhat fluid, and practice could increase someone's IQ. So what if Bob spends his life performing exercises to increase his score on some IQ test. Wouldn't he be better off for it? In any event, level of education is also indicative of success, so comparing the two is futile if one wishes to discount the predictive nature of IQ.

In recapitulation, we ought to consider the question regarding the cause of a person's success on IQ tests, academic standardized tests and grades. Since the correlation between the three is high, we have a compelling reason to believe that the three are connected and stem from the same root. Is the foundation of the person's success his intelligence, or is it an ability to successfully learn by route? In some cases, it is the former, in others the latter and in some a combination of both ensues. Clearly a clever person would have an easier time performing well in all three activities than one of average intelligence, yet this does not mean that the latter shall be incapable of success under any circumstances. The apparent simplicity of the IQ test leads me to suspect that one can indeed procure a high score by route learning.

Could it be that the root of all three is intelligence, in some form at least? Wouldn't being able to successfully learn by route be a form of intelligence?

I'm beginning to think you were just using what I said as a springboard.

Jonny

null
MBTI Type
FREE
I use modifiers often to cover my own ass. I expect posters like you to question me. Consider it a pre-emptive counterattack. It's undeniable that there is some correlation between IQ and reality, I simply haven't bothered looking into it enough to draw a solid conclusion.

As for blood type, I could argue blood type is neat to know insofar as that my body will reject certain blood types if I ever need a transfusion.

I wasn't arguing that blood type wasn't neat to know, only that comparing it to IQ is probably not a great comparison.

sleepy

Oh, look at that :smile: I goggled a few of the text questions, I think they where really stupid and irrelevant-at the same time!, and I had no idea. Like who won a football game 16 times in a row?? Jesus Christ. And since I could not see any rule against goggle before starting I decided to use it on a few of the questions I was totally blank. Is this bad? Anyone else do this? It is the score that counts, right?

Now my head hurts! But not as bad as it could have been!!!!

4329185168_ecb78ce8a4_o.jpg

nomadic

mountain surfing
MBTI Type
enfp
95% of the population can not join the society, though this 'IQ test' was bullshit.

Check out the complete list of High IQ Societies:
High-IQ Societies and the Tests They Accept for Admission Purposes (1)

They say that the Prometheus Society deals with the most exciting topics and has the best public spirit from all the high IQ clubs.

Actually, there's nothing better for developing the grey matter than raw fish :D

LOL

I qualified for the triple nine society, but didn't want to pay dues and fees. lol

what is everyone gonna do anyways? i don't think they make a significant impact on society.

Jonny

null
MBTI Type
FREE
LOL

I qualified for the triple nine society, but didn't want to pay dues and fees. lol

what is everyone gonna do anyways? i don't think they make a significant impact on society.

Perhaps they enjoy conversing with similarly gifted people; the purpose could simply be to have fun. In any event you should be happy that you scored at least 150 on a legitimate IQ test; I'll definitely be watching your posts more closely.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I'm not sure if anyone has ever argued that IQ is indicative of the fundamental qualities of a person's character; I certainly was not..

I should have ascribed a more specific definition ot the fundamental quality in question. That is innate intelligence which in turn represents a person's natural aptitude for solving abstract problems. For the sake of establishing a crude example, the higher the person's natural intelligence the more potential he has to become an exceptional mathematician, scientist, philosopher or attain competence with any activity that highly emphasizes abstract reasoning.

As astounding as it sounds, eminent scholars have indeed argued that a person's IQ test results are indicative of their level of intelligence as defined above. In the beginning of the 20th century, Robert Goddard administered IQ tests to the literally fresh off the boat immigrants and reported their scores to the government. People whose results were below a certain standard were sent back to their home nation. Stephen Jay Gould documented these events in the first half of the mismeasure of man.

Throughout the middle of the 20th century, people who scored in a certain ranged on an IQ test were labelled as morons, sterilized accordingly and denied marriage license. One may say that the absurd argument that the result of an IQ test is indicative of a person's fundamental quality or their level of intelligence is a thing of the past. Not so, one of the main implications of the Bell Curve (1996) was that G is largely innate and can be measured by an IQ test which is not manipulable. Although this opinion does not represent the consensus of experts on intelligence or even that of professional psychologists in general, it is common enough to merit our attention.

I do not necessarily disagree with this. Someone made a claim that IQ was not really indicative of anything, and I simply put forth the idea that it is possibly indicative of something. At the very least, it's indicative of a good test taker, perhaps...

My intention was not to refute your claim but merely to show that at least in some respect, there is merit to the thesis that a person's IQ test results are as indicative about their character as knowledge of their blood type. This does not mean that I agree with them, but only that it is possible for one to understand how their view could have seemed true. In other words, a person who notices how uninformative an individual's IQ test results are with respect to their fundamental qualities may be frustratedly tempted to exaggerate the point by claiming that it is as uninformative as blood type in that respect.

I don't believe I made any such claim, I simply referenced a wikipedia article about possible positive correlations with IQ. ...

I don't think you did either.

Arguing about what would or could be is irrelevant when talking about what is; if you seek to change the environment, that is a different matter....

Yes, it is. Though, it is not my intention to change the environment.

In order to predict anything, one must have an understanding of the environment in which the thing to be predicted exists(In this case I consider the laws of the universe and our social laws as kinds of environments). In the case of the United States, evidence seems to suggest that IQ does in fact correlate with certain other circumstances, thus lending the knowledge of someone's IQ some predictive value, regardless of the reasons why.....

It is true that in the United States a person's IQ is correlated with their professional success. That matter is only a little interesting, the more important question is whether or not the system is just. I've argued that it isn't as as person's assessment result does not show how competent he or she is to perform tasks that require a high intelligence.

Are school tests always more intellectually demanding, in terms of density?.....
No, not always and my argument does not require them to be.

Perhaps four years spent taking IQ test after IQ test, each one different and new, would be much more intense.?.....

Likely true. However, one can guarantee that most people who have attained a BA or an MA have encountered at least several tasks that are more intellectualy demanding than an IQ test. If they managed to succeed on those occassions, there is no reason why they shouldn't also be able to prevail on the IQ test.

Besides, IQ is somewhat fluid, and practice could increase someone's IQ. So what if Bob spends his life performing exercises to increase his score on some IQ test..? Wouldn't he be better off for it?.?.....

He would be better off as his puzzle-solving skills would improve dramatically. However, that is irrelevant to my point which was that a person's IQ test results are not indicative of his intelligence.

What is relevant is as follows. Bob may have improved his puzzle-solving skills enough to get a much higher IQ score than the one he received on his initial attempt, yet its doubtful that he has cultivated that skill enough to raise his general intelligence. He'd much sooner become a merely good test-taker than a good puzzle solver in general. Bob, who represents an average test-taker would simply figure out how to solve the kind of puzzles that are common on IQ tests and would stop as soon as he'd receive the satisfactory score. However, its quite unlikely that he would have a far higher aptitude for solving or learning to solve social puzzles, mathematical problems or those of the sciences or the liberal arts. In other words, yes Bob would be better off as a result of the time he spent solving IQ puzzles, yet its doubtful that he'd be far more intelligent as a result.

In any event, level of education is also indicative of success, so comparing the two is futile if one wishes to discount the predictive nature of IQ.

I think you misunderstood my argument. My point was that one can attain a very high level of education without being intelligent and having a high IQ test result correlates strongly with having a high level of education. If people who of average intelligence can attain the former, they probably can also attain the latter.

Could it be that the root of all three is intelligence, in some form at least? .

Yes, in many cases it is. Certainly a highly intelligent person will have an easier time doing well on an IQ and GRE tests as well as obtaining prestigious academic credentials.

Wouldn't being able to successfully learn by route be a form of intelligence? .

In some respect it can be regarded as intelligence, however, that is not how I have defined the term. That kind of an ability isn't relevant to my reasoning chain.

I'm beginning to think you were just using what I said as a springboard.

Your suspicion is correct, however, I did that to the end of exploring a very important idea that was tangentially relevant to your message.

Litvyak

No Cigar
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Congratulations, that means you're 149+, that's a pretty high score.
But I agree, these groups are pretty useless in their current form. If your goal is to "make a significant impact on society", that is.

nomadic

mountain surfing
MBTI Type
enfp
Perhaps they enjoy conversing with similarly gifted people; the purpose could simply be to have fun. In any event you should be happy that you scored at least 150 on a legitimate IQ test; I'll definitely be watching your posts more closely.

hehe... if u miss my posts, don't worry. you're not missing much! ;)