• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Introvert/Extrovert Face Preference Quiz

Charmed Justice

Nickle Iron Silicone
MBTI Type
INFJ
Another quiz! BBC - Science & Nature - Human Body and Mind - Mind - Face Perception 1

Results

The aim of this experiment is to test people’s preferences for faces with two different personality traits: introversion and extroversion.

* Introverts are reserved, quiet and happy to be left on their own.
* Extroverts are sociable, talkative and enjoy group activities.

Your choices:

We asked you to rate yourself on a five point scale for extraversion.

You rated yourself as an Extrovert

When rating male faces

40% Introvert 60% Extrovert

You seem to have a preference for extrovert faces. This means you might also prefer partners who have this personality type.

Thought this was interesting
:
We expected you to choose faces with the personality qualities that match your own.

* If you are extroverted we expect you to have picked mainly extrovert partners.
* If you are introverted we expect you to have picked mainly introvert partners.

To see if your results tally with the hypothesis, check whether you described yourself as an introvert or an extrovert at the beginning of this experiment. Then compare this against your partner preferences to see if they match.

Extroverts, who are at ease with strangers, may be more likely to smile and appear relaxed. Introverts, who are by definition more reserved, may show less expression in their face when interacting with new people.

This has important implications for how we choose our partners. Professor Robert Zajonc of Stanford University has found that long-term partners tend to have similar personalities. It may be that they grow more similar through shared experiences. But it is also possible that people seek out partners with a similar outlook on life. And that people treat personality as an indicator of genetic similarity.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
While I am an introvert, I definitely prefer people with faces than without them.

For the record, I preferred extravert faces 60% of the time.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You rated yourself as an Extrovert.

When rating male faces
70%
30%

Introverted Extraverted

You seem to have a preference for introvert faces. This means you might also prefer partners who have this personality type

BerberElla

12 and a half weeks
MBTI Type
infp
Your choices:

You rated yourself as having equal proportions of introvert and extravert traits.

You seem to have a preference for extrovert faces. This means you might also prefer partners who have this personality type.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Your choices:

You rated yourself as an Introvert.

When rating female faces

60% Introverted
40% Extraverted

You seem to have a preference for introvert faces. This means you might also prefer partners who have this personality type.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
While I am an introvert, I definitely prefer people with faces than without them.

For the record, I preferred extravert faces 60% of the time.

I know man I totally tried to date someone with no face once. The kissing and conversation sucked. I try not to judge, but, ya know.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Interesting test - thanks for posting.

It wasn't just about expression for me though...some of them has weird foreheads or chubby faces :D (what does that have to do with introversion/extraversion?).

When rating male faces:

40% Introverted
60% Extraverted

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
I know man I totally tried to date someone with no face once. The kissing and conversation sucked. I try not to judge, but, ya know.

I understand, have to draw the line somewhere. Could be worse though...

sp_0510_05_v6.jpg

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Some of those people were absolutely scary.

Your choices:

You rated yourself as an Extrovert.

When rating male faces
40%
60%

Introverted Extraverted

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6

It wasn't just about expression for me though...some of them has weird foreheads or chubby faces :D (what does that have to do with introversion/extraversion?).

Yeah, I agree, I think I could see what they were going for but the people SCARED me.

Charmed Justice

Nickle Iron Silicone
MBTI Type
INFJ

I know right!
Here's some background:

Perfect profile

His technique of digitally manipulating faces first attracted attention four years ago, when he showed that women prefer more masculine faces during the fertile period of their menstrual cycle. Faces were made more masculine by strengthening the jawline and brows and more feminine by widening the face and raising the eyebrows.

Now Professor Perrett is using the same techniques to investigate the connections between facial features and personality. Perrett is using the most widely accepted model of human personality: the five-factor model. This consists of:

Openness to experience - creative, original, independent
Conscientiousness - careful, hard-working, conscientious
Extraversion - affectionate, talkative, sociable
Agreeableness - forgiving, sympathetic, warm
Neuroticism - nervous, worrying, highly strung
Altered images

For the time being, Perrett has decided to focus his attention on the best understood of the 'big five' personality factors: extraversion and its opposite state, introversion. Extraverts are talkative, fun-loving and sociable, while introverts tend to be reserved, quiet and retiring.

In previous experiments, Perrett and Little have found that digitally altering the masculinity and femininity of a face affects how people perceive aspects of their personality.

"As we manipulate female faces to make them more feminine, people see them as more extravert," says Perrett.

But masculinity and femininity is only part of the story. Pinning down the essence of an introvert or extravert face is more complicated.

Perrett and Little found that there was little data on what constituted an extravert or an introvert face. However, Perrett and his team came up with an ingenious solution.

After showing a group of volunteers 15 carefully chosen faces, the team asked them to complete a 20-item questionnaire. The questionnaire asked the volunteers to say which faces best represented certain character traits.

The team then carried out a statistical technique known as factor analysis on the results. This allowed them to draw out the features in a face that people regard as extravert and introvert.

Volunteers rate face composites in a university computer laboratory.
With this information, they created average extravert and average introvert faces from the same 15 images by using computer software to amplify some features and suppress others. These composite images were then used to transform other faces, making them either more introvert or more extravert.

"A lot of the things that we're seeing in extravert and introvert faces are transient things like how likely you are to smile," says Dr Tony Little, of the Perception Lab at St Andrews. Indeed, while the withdrawn look of introvert faces is instantly recognisable, extravert faces seem to be fixed in the earliest stages of a grin.
Mmmm hmmm...:thinking:

P

Phantonym

When rating male faces:

60% Introverted
40% Extraverted

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
"A lot of the things that we're seeing in extravert and introvert faces are transient things like how likely you are to smile," says Dr Tony Little, of the Perception Lab at St Andrews. Indeed, while the withdrawn look of introvert faces is instantly recognisable, extravert faces seem to be fixed in the earliest stages of a grin.
I noticed that this year. It's actually how I am alll the time. I only relax my face right before falling asleep. It's how I can tell I'm about to go lights out. When I relax my face in the mirror conciously I don't think it lowers my looks. Maybe I'll get up the balls to post it and see if it's just introverted vs. extroverted preference. (I usually prefer introverted men - I'm not sure what male looks I actually prefer)

BerberElla

12 and a half weeks
MBTI Type
infp
Some of those people were absolutely scary.

So it wasn't just me thinking that? Oh thank god for that lol I kept thinking what's my choice here, mass murderer or pedo, choices choices. :laugh:

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
They aren't very good at equally positive descriptions

Careless,
Lazy,
Negligent

vs.

Careful,
Hardworking,
Conscientious

--

Vengeful,
Callous,
Cold

vs.

Forgiving,
Sympathetic,
Warm

---

Uncreative,
Conventional,
Conforming

vs.

Creative,
Original,
Independent

--

At ease,
Calm,
Relaxed

vs.

Nervous,
Worrying,
Highly Strung

Charmed Justice

Nickle Iron Silicone
MBTI Type
INFJ
So it wasn't just me thinking that? Oh thank god for that lol I kept thinking what's my choice here, mass murderer or pedo, choices choices. :laugh:
Ha, I was thinking the same thing. It's amazing what we can look beyond when we really put our minds to it!

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Yeah. Some of those questions were basically: Are you dumb, dull, unoriginal and generally worthless or super awesome, badass, creative, and god's gift to the world?

How do you think people are going to answer?

branflakes

MBTI Type
INFP

When rating female faces

20% 80%
Introverted Extraverted