User Tag List

First 45678 Last

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Are you Neurotic?

No, definitely not, well... maybe, shit, no, you know what... I am neurotic, wait, no, I'm not, but wait, maybe I only think I'm not neurotic and really am, but I think I know myself pretty well so... yeah, no, I am definitely not neurotic, no way, no how. Fuck, but then there are times when I tend to over-think things and isn't over-thinking a sign of neurosis? So wait, perhaps I am neurotic, okay, so wait, fuck, am I? I can't decide...
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    N358

Oh hell yes I am.

MBTI
    yupp

I don't know, am I? hmmm possibly. but is it true neuroticism if it doesn't bother me?
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

Default Listening and understanding

I've often wondered what neurosis is. I know it is not psychosis. And I know it is not healthy and happy. But what is it?

They say neurotics build castles in the air and psychotics live in them. And I think this distinguishes between neurosis and psychosis - where psychosis is being out of touch with reality while neurosis is mixing up reality and imagination.

The thoughts of psychotics can be out of touch with reality as in schizophrenia; or the emotions of psychotics can be out of touch with reality as in clinical depression. But what is most interesting is that most people are highly resistant to calling those with clinical depression - psychotic.

But it seems to me that many neurotics are responding to two realities at once. The reality immediately around them and something that happened in the past - and neurotics confuse the two. So to treat neurotics all you need to do is sort out the present from the past or reality from the imagination. However to treat psychotics is an entirely different kettle of fish.

It seems to me that neurotics are defending themselves against feelings that happened in the past but are now being projected onto the present.

However neurotics are unaware of what they are doing - they are unconscious of what they are doing. So all we need to do in make the unconscious, conscious simply by listening to the past feelings and bringing the past feelings into our present consciousness. So there is no need to keep unconsciously acting out the past feelings in a desperate attempt to get them heard. Finally they are heard and listened to and understood.

So the cure for neurosis is listening and understanding.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post

It seems to me that neurotics are defending themselves against feelings that happened in the past but are now being projected onto the present.

However neurotics are unaware of what they are doing - they are unconscious of what they are doing. So all we need to do in make the unconscious, conscious simply by listening to the past feelings and bringing the past feelings into our present consciousness. So there is no need to keep unconsciously acting out the past feelings in a desperate attempt to get them heard. Finally they are heard and listened to and understood.

So the cure for neurosis is listening and understanding.
    This makes a lot of sense. Does it really work? Can one cure oneself without a therapist?

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by raincrow007 View Post
    Perhaps I'm being neurotic, but I think if you posted a link you might get a few more responses.
    It's late in the day... but lol
    Madman's azure lie: a zen miasma ruled.

Realize us, Madman!

I razed a slum, Amen.

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Lol,

I'm half-Jewish and... am hence, half-neurotic. :P
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

Content. Content? DigitalMethod's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ

You scored 59 anxiety, 79 awkwardness, and 42 neuroticism!

You have all the makings of neuroticism without any of the amusing trappings--you are The Subtle Neurotic! Plagued by doubt, fears, and worries, you are much more likely to have a quiet existential crisis off on your own than to bite your fingernails. You worry a lot over social situations, but take heart--chances are, you're not nearly as awkward as you feel you are. The best advice I can give you? Confide your worries in someone--no matter how irrational they seem. You're far too likely to keep everything bottled up.

Your high anxiety score implies that you are unable to relax, worry about the future often, and probably are plagued by irrational fears and self-doubt.

Your high awkwardness score implies that you are socially nervous, probably have difficulty with conversation, and perhaps feel uncomfortable in large groups of people, such as at parties.

Your low neuroticism score implies that you don't exhibit subtle neurotic behaviors--your nails are probably an acceptable length, your pencils aren't covered with bite marks, and your bookcase isn't arranged alphabetically by genre. Congrats!
    "The life of the individual has meaning only insofar as it aids in making the life of every living thing nobler and more beautiful."
    - Albert Einstein

Content. Content? DigitalMethod's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by helen View Post
    This makes a lot of sense. Does it really work? Can one cure oneself without a therapist?
    I think so, unless they are completely lost.
    "The life of the individual has meaning only insofar as it aids in making the life of every living thing nobler and more beautiful."
    - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by helen View Post
    The problem is, Helen, that the unheard feelings are just that - they are unconscious.

So it is far easier for a disinterested professional to start listening. Because we betray these feelings in our behaviour - that is, we act out. And this can be much more easily seen by a disinterested third party.

Of course it is possible to start listening to one's unconscious feelings alone. But these are often unpleasant feelings that we have repressed. So it is not pleasant to bring them up and we usually need the emotional support of a healthy person.

However once you start listening to all your feelings, conscious and unconscious, with the help of a therapist, you will quite naturally continue on listening and understanding for the rest of your life.

And the big plus is that you will not be burdening your children with you own unconscious repressed feelings. You will be fully emotionally available to those you love.