• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Programming Language Inventor or Serial Killer?

paperoceans

Une Femme est une femme
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
8w7
Probably isn't the literal meaning of 'personality test'. But you're judging others! It counts :D
Quiz here.

Can you tell a coder from a cannibal? Try to work out which of the following spent their time hacking computers, and which preferred hacking away at corpses instead.

5/10
Not bad, but it might be best to avoid a career in either law enforcement or I.T. recruitment.

P

Phantonym

This was fun.

10/10

Apparently, I'd spot Hannibal Lecter in seconds at an Open Source conference. And yeah, my liver is safe. :D

LostInNerSpace

MBTI Type
INTP
Looks like I'll have to answer my own question. It was a loaded question. I intentionally asked how HARD it would be to invent a programming language. It might have seemed different if I had asked how EASY it would be.

It is conceptually not that hard. There are two main issues. Designing the language and implementing it. Machine code is extremely verbose and not at all intuitive, but conceptually quite simple. High level languages just translate high level human readable constructs into machine code. Modern languages can be extremely complex but have been in development for many years. If you want to create a new language today there are many tools to aid you. Even if you were to implement from scratch your own compiler, optimizer and linker, it's just a matter of starting simple and continually building on those foundations. You would be amazed at what you are capable of. Same applies to anything. It's just a matter of getting over the initial perception hurdle.

LostInNerSpace

MBTI Type
INTP
No but that might not be far from the truth. I've been watching a lot of war documentaries lately. They are a reminder of what people can be capable of.

Jaguar

That screaming chain-saw shit was hilarious. :D I got 9/10.

G

Ginkgo

Haha, 6/10.

I think the moral of the exercise was that there was no arbitrary way to distinguish a serial killer from a programming language inventor.