• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What is your IQ score?

What is your IQ score?

• Total voters

jcloudz

Yup
MBTI Type
Istj
i say we go by the circumference of head. the bigger the head, the more brains and more intelligent someone will be. my circumference is 26.5"

i have nothing on oprah.

while we are at it, lets share cock size!! 7x5.5

ygolo

My termites win
85 - 114 - Average (68% of test takers) is my IQ so ya people I'm so special ... though my IQ is 114 so I am "almost" above average but not quite!

RaptorWizard, I just realized what sort of magic you specialize in...necormancy. We should officially dub you Thread Necromancer.

In response, I will quote myself from earlier.

What if I estimate my IQ to be 3? There was no option for that. I was smart enough to figure that much out. Yay me!

OK. So I will make my standard comments when it comes to IQ.

Why are people so worried about peoples IQs? Because they believe it to be a determinant of how far you will go in life? Hardly. IQ is a good predictor to be sure, but that is because very few actually do what it takes to achieve excellence. Most people are just average at the things they do with slight variations due to IQ.

Examples of people practicing and improving IQ abound. Even those Raven's Progressive Matrices (the most g loaded) can be practiced. Though, I don't really see the benefit of increasing your IQ scores directly. IQ can increase for various other reasons that represent real progress...overcoming a learning disability, changing a predominantly negative mindset when it comes to cognitively difficult tasks, improved nutrition, better sleep hygiene, etc.

I still maintain that continued deliberate practice is what leads to human excellence. IQ may be a good measure on average. But those that aspire to be excellent at something should look into the research of Anders Ericsson, on what makes good practice vs. bad.

For instance in chess, past a certain point, the hours of study of positions is the best predictor of chess rating...while hours playing social and blitz chess is virtually meaningless as a predictor (and can even be detrimental).

For those specifically interested in excellence in science (and to some extent technology), art, and leadership, the research of Dean Keith Simonton is good.

One of his key findings:
Although at least a moderately high IQ is important for the achievement of eminence, statistical analyses demonstrate that intelligence accounts for only about 4-5 percent of the variance in measures of cultural eminence. Developmental, motivational and personality factors seem to matter a great deal more. Thus, very intelligent people do not necessarily accomplish great things (Simonton, 1999a; Simonton, personal communication, July 5, 2003)

http://projects.ict.usc.edu/itw/gel/EricssonDeliberatePracticePR93.pdf
Human Intelligence: Dean Keith Simonton

Also, I wasn't able to find the list of professions and IQ ranges again. But an average IQ is no barrier to entry in most fields (notable exceptions being Doctors and Lawyers)...and with an IQ of about 120 or above, you don't need to worry about any profession.

Get over your IQ obsession people. There are other things more important (and more changeable) that determine success.

I wasn't sure which IQ test people were taking here but the "High IQ Society" IQ test linked for free was a timed, 8 question Raven's Progressive matrices test.

IQresultpopup.png

For those of you have trouble with Raven's Progressive Matrices, there are some tricks to it. It is all pattern recognition, but the patterns tend to also follow patterns.

Tricks:
  1. Look for virtual "movement". If you were to play the three squares in a row, what sort of short movie would it create? Does the same sort of thing happen in the other rows? (You can test columns too)
  2. Look for an "operation". That is where one square operated on the next square in the row will result in the third square.
    Common Operations include:
    1. The addition of the colored regions
    2. The Symmetric Difference of two squares (If you never knew what this was, your "IQ" may have just improved by learning about it)
    3. One shape being embedded in another
  3. Don't satisfice. Look to see if there are multiple answers you believe meet the criteria you expect. If there are, look at the matrix again to see if you can see more details to determine the which choice is best.
See if your "IQ" improves at all with those tricks.

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
i say we go by the circumference of head. the bigger the head, the more brains and more intelligent someone will be.

Lol, at birth my head was so big that they had to use a cesarian cut which wasn't as frequent back then as it is now. :D

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
Threads like this crack me up. Just about everyone has an above average score. It reminds me of when a friend of mine did a private IQ exam for all the folks on a forum that claimed to have high IQs. After all was said and done, most had average IQs (of course), and only 4 or 5 people had elevated IQ scores.

But then, forums are like bars in that you can never believe the things you're hearing.

This is not meant to be offensive - because I'm sure there are non-professional IQ tests that will produce a favorable score for various reasons - it's just an observation. I think it boils down to people like myself are generally annoyed by average people claiming to be above average.

Only 21% of people in the world have internet access, which doesn't really make sense because clearly 100% of people on this thread have it at some point. :p

I kid.

In seriousness though, I've actually thought about this before. I attribute it to two things - either the projected normal distribution is incorrect e.g. it claims that 100 is mean expectation but the real world average is actually a different value, or, those who are average or below are somehow less likely to participate in the thread.

Tyrinth

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Like people misrepresenting their IQ score? Nah.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Threads like this crack me up. Just about everyone has an above average score. It reminds me of when a friend of mine did a private IQ exam for all the folks on a forum that claimed to have high IQs. After all was said and done, most had average IQs (of course), and only 4 or 5 people had elevated IQ scores.

But then, forums are like bars in that you can never believe the things you're hearing.

This is not meant to be offensive - because I'm sure there are non-professional IQ tests that will produce a favorable score for various reasons - it's just an observation. I think it boils down to people like myself are generally annoyed by average people claiming to be above average.

@bold - I tend to believe this is why some people may test higher on these online tests. I'm not sure how many took certified tests in school, etc. I only went by the score ranges from previous certified IQ tests taken in HS/college.. Whenever I take these internet IQ tests, they place me a lot higher than I know I am.. but most online quizzes are just-for-fun-ego-boosting-bs tests, to begin with. What [insert tv/movie character name here] Are YOU?!

I assume even those ''based'' on certified tests will have some systematic flaw, intentionally or otherwise.. think rigged carnival games that draw you in at little to no cost, then manipulate you into spending more money. Even the tests one might take in school, or in a psychologist's office, are sort of flawed, imo. IQ tests only measure a few dimensions of aptitude, and a lot of it is merely rote memorization. Considering there's still so much we don't understand neurologically about how we even think, feel, or learn, I think it's safe to say that IQ ain't nuthin but a number..

I don't see the point in getting annoyed by those who exaggerate or believe in the accuracy of their scores, though. People will always try to accept positive feedback about themselves, on some level, and want to share it with others, for various reasons. I figure ultimately, it doesn't matter. It's all just words, in the end. :shrug:

On the same token, one was to wonder what motivations were behind creating/participating in the poll, to begin with. If it's to collect new information about groups of people, what new insights have been gained? If it's just another piss-contest, I do find that tiring, but- again- we can't really stop people from doing such things.. seems like a waste of energy to get annoyed over it..

---sidenote- when my grandmother was offered to join MENSA, my grandfather freaked out/didn't allow her, believing it was some kind of cult. Probably the right move, all things considered. :laugh:

jixmixfix

Permabanned
Because it's an easy way to manipulate perception.

Seriously here in Canada we hardly talk about "IQ". Its a fucking test, a test that has it's own standards and merits like any test. It's a test where if you did it enough times you would probably be better at it thus get a higher score. There is nothing special or telling about an IQ test.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
I don't see the point in getting annoyed by those who exaggerate or believe in the accuracy of their scores, though. People will always try to accept positive feedback about themselves, on some level, and want to share it with others, for various reasons. I figure ultimately, it doesn't matter. It's all just words, in the end. :shrug:

Lexicon is so warm and encouraging. :yes:

To explain the annoyance - I think it vexes people when they think others are putting on airs for something they haven't earned. Similar to men complaining about "women who aren't that hot acting like they are". :alttongue:

The thing is, it's hard to verify one way or the other with polls like this and even with 'professionally administered IQ tests' there are different tests with different scales for scoring (Stanford-Binet, Weschler, etc.) so it comes down to percentages not points. That's also why MENSA allows other standardized tests like the SAT, LSAT, etc. scores in lieu of a 'professionally administered IQ test'. And the free online tests don't share statistics so you don't know where on the curve you actually fall. So even when people are sharing their scores, it's not really apple to apples. And those apples might actually be pears. So knowing all that, let it rip! :alttongue:

At the end of the day though polls like these make our forum look mighty intelligent. And that's what's important. :cheese:

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
At the end of the day though polls like these make our forum look mighty intelligent. And that's what's important. :cheese:

:laugh:

W

WALMART

The military and most online tests put me at the ninety-third percentile, which would be about 125.

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
I think intelligence tests should be more interactive, like this game http://www.kongregate.com/games/wanderlands/impasse

It's not super hard, but it doesn't tell you the rules, and it throws new curve balls at you forcing you to evaluate things mid session. It gives clues some times in the level title which could be an interpretive advantage, but it isn't a major one for creative thinkers.

There's a few unexpected behaviors that aren't initially apparent, the kind that make rigid people go "what? this isn't even possible" but the answer is right there if you're willing to break convention some times. Again it isn't necessarily hard but can be a challenge for those not willing to deduce or experiment without explicit prompting.

I think this is better than those spatial tests and such because you're not just sitting there looking at a picture trying to figure out the rules, you have many ways to figure it out and can do it real time, coming to conclusions in different ways.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[YOUTUBE="fJIjoE27F-Q"]this future.. and this test.. keep coming to mind.[/YOUTUBE]

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
[YOUTUBE="fJIjoE27F-Q"]this future.. and this test.. keep coming to mind.[/YOUTUBE]

Yes, that's going to happen when nobody wants to accept an arbitrary quantifier or definition for intelligence.

His incredulous response cracks me up, though.

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Anyone wanna guess my IQ level?

:einstein2::evilgenius::sartre:

Also, IQ tests are definitely bullshit if Speed Gavroche somehow manages to aquire a score of 115-129. The idea of him having a high IQ is laughable.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Anyone wanna guess my IQ level?

:einstein2::evilgenius::sartre:

Also, IQ tests are definitely bullshit if Speed Gavroche somehow manages to aquire a score of 115-129. The idea of him having a high IQ is laughable.

Who said that a high IQ prevents you from being a laughingstock ? :)
I'd say you have a high IQ, getting all that chicks with that mysticism idea is pretty genius. :D

Besides that I think pretty much everyone who hung around on this forum for some time has either a good IQ or is specialized in a certain way of knowledge. Cause an openess to self-reflection or dealing with oneselves good side and bad side and that in open reflection with others requires courage and an open mind.

Even Speed Gavroche is special. If you'ld know the french better, you'ld know that most of them wouldnt even speak english with you and are very very traditionalist. France is a strong SJ culture with deeply rooted traditions, not exactly what you'ld call open-minded. In comparison Speed Gavroche is way ahead of his nation.