User Tag List

View Poll Results: What is your IQ score?

Voters
113. You may not vote on this poll
  • 40 - 54

14 12.39%
  • 55 - 69

2 1.77%
  • 70 - 84

2 1.77%
  • 85 - 114

7 6.19%
  • 115 - 129

17 15.04%
  • 130 - 144

54 47.79%
  • 145 - 159

15 13.27%
  • 160 - 175

2 1.77%
First 789101119 Last

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Nottin gainst Nickelback !!

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95bX7-hWWts"]xD[/YOUTUBE]
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Gavroche View Post
    I don't see the usefulness of a high I.Q a all. From 135-140 or more, a higher I.Q don't mean anything more.
    I agree, and I would say that IQ is often a weaker correlation to actual intelligence, but this intelligence is condensed to that of an IQ test, and little more. I sometimes get 160+, sometimes I get near 140. I don't consider it important to anything in my life, and ragingkatsuki's post sounds really ignorant, and so the young person is.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

^ I re-edited this post four times to try and think of a witty comeback. I couldn't. The guy's obviously just too much of a genius and certainly knows me very well too. It's guys like these that we should all take as role models. I wouldn't find it ignorant at all to assume one is ignorant by one post he has made.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragingkatsuki View Post
    I believe knowledge breeds intelligence. The more knowledge you have of things the more logical one can make his decisions. Or am I wrong?
    1. No, I don't think so. There are many knowledgeable and stupid people out there. There is no correlation between knowledge you've gathered and the cognitive processes (quick thinking), and there's very small correlation between knowledge and...

- the ability to create a coherent and unique world view
    - the ability to quickly find a solution to a problem
    - ability to solve problems
    - languages, skills etc.

The definition of intelligence is somewhat debatable, but I don't think that a) you're intelligent if you know the capital of Namibia and b) you'll become more intelligent if you know the capital of Namibia.

2. I think you're confusing IQ and intelligence. You can't say "I want to improve my intelligence to a point where it is equivalent to that of a person with 160 IQ", you can say "I want to become more intelligent" or that "I want to have an IQ of 160".

There are multiple concepts on the matter. Some say (I strongly disagree with this view), that "intelligence = high IQ", therefore "intelligent person = person with high IQ".
    If you agree with this, developing your "intelligence" to 160 equals developing your IQ to 160, which is clearly BS (and impossible, as I've already stated).

Others say that intelligence is subjective (you can call a man "intelligent" if he behaves fine like a diplomat, if he knows how to fix a chair etc.) and IQ is an objective scale, and the connection between these two is disputable the very least (see my example above). If this is true, "transfering" a number from a scale to a subjective category doesn't seem to be logical. There may be a connection to some, and there may not be a connection to others.

Obtaining a high IQ score on an IQ test means that you have a high IQ. Nothing more, nothing less. If you score 10 points more than your friend, that means that your IQ is higher by 10, but you're not "more intelligent by 10".

tl;dr: You can develop your IQ and develop your intelligence, but the former is not possible at your age (5 points MAX), and the latter can't be measured.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

You guys do know that >=145 IQ is about 1 out of 750 people...

And whoever said they were over 160 is claiming they are like 1/30000. I call bullshit.

I got 137 on a psychologist proctored 10 hour test. Which is about 1/150. For multiple people in this thread to be significantly higher than that is, well, most likely a bunch of shit.

Yes, I'm egotistical.

Also, even on well-proctored tests, the further from the mean you are, the more variance in your scores over time. The less degree of accuracy your scores have. Up past 130, the confidence interval is probably quite low.

Plus, IQ does not, at all, mean intelligence. It is one specific type of intelligence -- but there's no way it's only testing for ability. It also tests for knowledge. I remember leaving one blank on the math part because I didn't know derivitaves yet. But it's not like I didn't have the ability to understand them. Anyways, test-taking like this means very little.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by Litvyak View Post
    2. I think you're confusing IQ and intelligence. You can't say "I want to improve my intelligence to a point where it is equivalent to that of a person with 160 IQ", you can say "I want to become more intelligent" or that "I want to have an IQ of 160".
    I see... I'm taking your word for it.
    If this is the case then I would say that I just want to become more intelligent. I do believe that intelligence can be improved upon. As I said before, I am not interested in IQ but intelligence itself.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

1. No, I don't think so. There are many knowledgeable and stupid people out there. There is no correlation between knowledge you've gathered and the cognitive processes (quick thinking), and there's very small correlation between knowledge and...

- the ability to create a coherent and unique world view
    - the ability to quickly find a solution to a problem
    - ability to solve problems
    - languages, skills etc.

The definition of intelligence is somewhat debatable, but I don't think that a) you're intelligent if you know the capital of Namibia and b) you'll become more intelligent if you know the capital of Namibia.
    Whoa whoa...I think you're way off base here. Gaining knowledge and practicing induction, etc. makes a person way more intelligent.

I mean, think about language. If we didn't learn the raw data of language, we'd all be much less intelligent. There's certainly a knowledge aspect to ability to process information.

The more you learn, the easier it is to learn new things, because you develop strategies for abstracting from data, and you can draw all sorts of analogies. Human learning is largely metaphorical, and without knowledge, metaphors are impossible.

There are multiple concepts on the matter. Some say (I strongly disagree with this view), that "intelligence = high IQ", therefore "intelligent person = person with high IQ".
    If you agree with this, developing your "intelligence" to 160 equals developing your IQ to 160, which is clearly BS (and impossible, as I've already stated).

Others say that intelligence is subjective (you can call a man "intelligent" if he behaves fine like a diplomat, if he knows how to fix a chair etc.) and IQ is an objective scale, and the connection between these two is disputable the very least (see my example above). If this is true, "transfering" a number from a scale to a subjective category doesn't seem to be logical. There may be a connection to some, and there may not be a connection to others.

Obtaining a high IQ score on an IQ test means that you have a high IQ. Nothing more, nothing less. If you score 10 points more than your friend, that means that your IQ is higher by 10, but you're not "more intelligent by 10".

tl;dr: You can develop your IQ and develop your intelligence, but the former is not possible at your age (5 points MAX), and the latter can't be measured.
    I do think it's possible to raise your IQ by practicing certain kinds of tasks. And I do think this would correlate to some extent to a greater capacity to process information.

The problem with any test is that it can't test for ability, only for application of knowledge. They can teach you new things on the test and see how you react, but they can't control for whether or not you've learned similar things in the past.

Like I said in my last post, when I was taking the math section of my IQ test, there was a derivative problem (the only one I didn't get right) and I couldn't solve it because I hadn't learned about derivatives. If I had more knowledge, I would've scored even higher, not because of a difference of ability or anything...

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    Nottin gainst Nickelback !!

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95bX7-hWWts"]xD[/YOUTUBE]
    oh man. Turn it off!! Quick!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    I got 137 on a psychologist proctored 10 hour test. Which is about 1/150. For multiple people in this thread to be significantly higher than that is, well, most likely a bunch of shit.
    1/200.
    That's not egoistical, simply stupid - without backup data. Perhaps everybody except you has an IQ of 160 in this thread. Statistically, it's possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    I do think it's possible to raise your IQ by practicing certain kinds of tasks.
    Yes it is - with a maximum of 5 points (after the age of 20 or so). This is not a rule set in stone, perhaps it's 3, perhaps it's 7. But 20 did sound kinda weird.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

1/200.
    That's not egoistical, simply stupid - without backup data. Perhaps everybody except you has an IQ of 160 in this thread. Statistically, it's possible.
    It is technically possible, but it seem to me much more likely that most people took internet tests that are designed to give subjects higher scores than they actually should have so that they'll pay money to read the "full report" or whatever.

I would believe the average IQ on this forum is significantly higher than the average population, but not 3 SDs higher...that's just ludicrous.

Yes it is - with a maximum of 5 points (after the age of 20 or so). This is not a rule set in stone, perhaps it's 3, perhaps it's 7. But 20 did sound kinda weird.
    Maybe...I think 20 is possible if the conditions of the two tests are drastically different. But if the first test was at all accurate, I agree with you -- it'd be quite hard to change by 20 points. More likely than everyone having 160 IQs on this thread though

P.S. Isn't 137 almost exactly 1/147? I was assuming mean 100 and SD 15.