• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

InQ Thinking Styles Test-- Harrison and Bramson

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
56 SYNTHESIST

51 IDEALIST

60 PRAGMATIST

59 ANALYST

44 REALIST

Jaguar

Scores of 60 or higher on any category indicate a peak or preference for that thinking style. 59 does not. (Blame Harrison and Bramson. I didn't make the rules.)

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I was realist-pragmatist last time I took this, now I am pragmatist-synthesist

Synthesist- 54
Idealist- 47
Pragmatist- 64
Analyst- 53
Realist- 52

And looking at the way the answers supposedly match up to each category, it's not making much sense. Reading a book outside one's field for curiosity's sake is a realist approach? Really?

In my book, the key shows that that question/answer lines up with Analyst not Realist.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Scores of 60 or higher on any category indicate a peak or preference for that thinking style. 59 does not. (Blame Harrison and Bramson. I didn't make the rules.)

I blame them for a lot of things.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
A Realist in this system correlates well with the S. But just to help you make a more-informed decision, the Pragmatist-Synthesist is the most creative of the combinations. The Pragmatist-Realist is described as a super-realist.

So my first result indicates that I'm some sort of super-realist and my second indicates the most creative combination? That makes things slightly confusing. Also if super-realist correlates to super-S and I've never even been close on S/N, that's a bit of a problem :tongue:

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So my first result indicates that I'm some sort of super-realist and my second indicates the most creative combination? That makes things slightly confusing. Also if super-realist correlates to super-S and I've never even been close on S/N, that's a bit of a problem :tongue:

If I was an ENtP I would just go with creative. I wouldn't go so far as to say that super-realist means super-S. I think of Pragmatist more in terms of the P, based on its description, and Pragmast-Realist as some SP variant.

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Took it again, got these results:
59- Synthesist
44- Idealist
56- Pragmatist
53- Analyst
58- Realist

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
manipulating what?

The book doesn't say. But if the 59 score indicates a strong enough Pragmatist influence, then when combined with Analyst the book says there is a tendency to approach all life situations in a manner which often appears to others as calculating and manipulative. It then describes this approach as a "tactical opportunist."

Edit - the PersonalityPages page on ENFP relates:
An ENFP who has "gone wrong" may be quite manipulative - and very good it. The gift of gab which they are blessed with makes it naturally easy for them to get what they want. Most ENFPs will not abuse their abilities, because that would not jive with their value systems.

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
The book doesn't say. But if the 59 score indicates a strong enough Pragmatist influence, then when combined with Analyst the book says there is a tendency to approach all life situations in a manner which often appears to others as calculating and manipulative. It then describes this approach as a "tactical opportunist."

Edit - the PersonalityPages page on ENFP relates:
An ENFP who has "gone wrong" may be quite manipulative - and very good it. The gift of gab which they are blessed with makes it naturally easy for them to get what they want. Most ENFPs will not abuse their abilities, because that would not jive with their value systems.

Well, I don't think that I am especially good at manipulating people. Maybe I have the capability but I haven't really seen it. I have always had a really good grasp on systems, policies, rules, and how to bend them or find loopholes. That is not to say that I DO, I simply recognize it faster than most people. Whatever that means. I've heard ENTP's can do the same.

guesswho

MBTI Type
ENTP
I got almost equal in everything, and then the test told me that I have duplicate answers...in all of my questions :laugh: too bad I didn't read the instructions :laugh:

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well, I don't think that I am especially good at manipulating people. Maybe I have the capability but I haven't really seen it. I have always had a really good grasp on systems, policies, rules, and how to bend them or find loopholes. That is not to say that I DO, I simply recognize it faster than most people. Whatever that means. I've heard ENTP's can do the same.

Then you haven't "gone wrong," and that is reflected by your <60 score on the Pragmatist scale. Not that a Pragmatist is "wrong," but that style by itself doesn't work with a strong value system.

Jaguar

I was realist-pragmatist last time I took this, now I am pragmatist-synthesist

Synthesist- 54
Idealist- 47
Pragmatist- 64
Analyst- 53
Realist- 52

Only scores 60 and above indicate a preference for a thinking style. Using your current scores, it's a single style - pragmatist.

Jaguar

So I'm a realist. Looks like I've got a slew of options to fall back on too. Is that how it works?

Realist Thinkers

According to Bramson, “Realist thinkers are fast moving doers who know that reality is what their senses – sight, sound, taste, smell, and touch – tell them it is, and not that dry stuff that one finds in accounting ledgers, or the insipid pages of manual of operations.”

To connect with Realists, Bramson suggests, “If you communicate with Realist bosses as if they were Analysts, you will never get their attention. Rather than gobs of computer-printouts and other detailed information, Realists want a three-paragraph “Executive Summary” which tells briefly what is wrong and how you propose to fix it. For rather complicated reasons, they will often take you at your word if they see you as a qualified expert. You become an expert in their eyes when they know that you’ve assembled a store of facts in which they are interested, and you have proposed a set of actions that they already believe are the best things to do.”

I'm laughing since that describes, in part, how I think. Give me a summary. Cut to the chase! Don't give me 80 pages of crap. Rock and roll. ;)

stalemate

Post-Humorously
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Synthesist 63
Pragmatist 60
Analyst 59
Realist 49
Idealist 39

EDIT: After reading the descriptions it seems to fit. I do the synthesis thing with an eye toward practical application. I was taking this from the perspective of my work as software developer / systems integrator. I do have a strong analyst preference and am always on a quest for the "best way" to solve something. The only thing that doesn't seem to fit well for me is the pragmatist description says the solution doesn't have to be the most elegant. To me, that's what I am always looking for... the best way is the elegant way and in the long run it is the most practical because I don't want to have to solve this problem again, ever.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
57 Synthesist
47 Idealist
61 Pragmatist
54 Analyst
51 Realist

I dunno what any of this means, if it needs fixing, I fix it, other than that I dont try and think to much :)

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
51 Synthesist
55 Idealist
60 Pragmatist
51 Analyst
52 Realist

I read the descriptions and it sounds about right. Alhough I would expect my scores for Analyst and Synthesist to be lower than they are.