User Tag List

12311 Last

MBTI
    intp

Default Right- and lef-brainedness (test)

I found this on another forum.

Look at the following woman before you proceed to the questions:

Do you see her turning clockwise or counterclockwise?
    Can you see both directions?

If you see her turning clockwise, your right brain dominates.
    If you see her turning counterclockwise, your left brain dominates.
    If you can see her turning both ways, you are likely to have a high IQ.

Let's see how different types of people respond to this test.

I saw her turning clockwise and I could see the other direction when I really tried to see it, but not immediately.
    Last edited by Vasilisa; 06-02-2014 at 11:51 PM. Reason: merged

I think it's a con; watch the foot of 'her' supporting leg. The graphic just switches from clockwise to anti-clockwise halfway through
    January has April's showers
    And 2 and 2 always makes a 5

MBTI
    yupp

I see counter clockwise. I don't see it going the other way no matter how hard I look. It just looks like her supporting foot --I'm assuming the one she's "standing/twirling" on-- is going all the way around. It looks unnatural, and painful if she wasn't a silhouette.

MBTI
    INFP

For the first minute or so I could only see clockwise, but I zoned out (about to daydream) and then realised she seemed to now be going counter clockwise.

So does that mean that when I am zoned out I am using my left side of the brain, and when I am alert and paying attention I use the right?
    "No one can be free of the chains that surround them"

MBTI
    intp

Looks like Langrenus is very intelligent and prplchknz is left-brained.

Prplchknz, if you still want to try seeing the other direction, try looking away from the image (so that you see it from the corner of your eye) and picture a mental image of it turning clockwise. Then turn your gaze to the actual image and see if it has changed its direction. I noticed that this is the easiest way to do it (at least for me). You can also help the change of direction with your finger: at first turn your finger counterclockwise with the woman, and then change the direction of your finger and try seeing the woman differently, if that helps.

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by Kaveri View Post
    Looks like Langrenus is very intelligent and prplchknz is left-brained.

Prplchknz, if you still want to try seeing the other direction, try looking away from the image (so that you see it from the corner of your eye) and picture a mental image of it turning clockwise. Then turn your gaze to the actual image and see if it has changed its direction. I noticed that this is the easiest way to do it (at least for me). You can also help the change of direction with your finger: at first turn your finger counterclockwise with the woman, and then change the direction of your finger and try seeing the woman differently, if that helps.
    Still see her going counter-clockwise. It's like my mind is too stubborn to see things any other way.

MBTI
    intp

Quote Originally Posted by Sahara View Post
    For the first minute or so I could only see clockwise, but I zoned out (about to daydream) and then realised she seemed to now be going counter clockwise.

So does that mean that when I am zoned out I am using my left side of the brain, and when I am alert and paying attention I use the right?
    A similar thing happened to me: I saw the image only clockwise at first, and when I tried hard to see it counterclockwise, I narrowed my eyes and tried to look at the image as objectively as I could-- the way I look at things when I want to draw them. During/after this narrowing of eyes process I suddenly saw it the other way around. That made me think of the possibility that I use my left brain when I observe things that I intend to draw... but I don't know. Right brain is supposed to be the visual side-- isn't it??-- so it doesn't really make sense.

Also, as far as I'm concerned, daydreaming is generally a right-brain thing.

Maybe this just indicates that you are more right-brained (because that was your first impression) but that it's relatively easy for you to use both hemispheres?

That's very cool, but as Langrenus said, it's a trick. When I first opened the link I saw her turn clockwise. After a few seconds I was able to see the figure turn the other direction. I've been starring at it for awhile, and now I'm capable of alternating her "direction" at will. Pretty interesting.
    "The mathematician's patterns, like the painter's or the poet's must be beautiful; the ideas like the colours or the words, must fit together in a harmonious way. Beauty is the first test: there is no permanent place in the world for ugly mathematics..." - G.H. Hardy

"Another roof, another proof." - Paul Erdős

INTJ (I = 100, N = 100, T = 88, J = 43)
    Solitary/Idiosyncratic, 5w6 sp/sx
    RL(x)EI (RlxE|I|)- Inquisitive Dominant
    Reserved Idealist
    ILI-Ni/INTp

Quote Originally Posted by Merkw View Post
    That's very cool, but as Langrenus said, it's a trick. When I first opened the link I saw her turn clockwise. After a few seconds I was able to see the figure turn the other direction. I've been starring at it for awhile, and now I'm capable of alternating her "direction" at will. Pretty interesting.
    That's interesting; try as I might, I can't consciously 'choose' which direction I think the figure is moving in. When I said it was a con I meant it literally - it feels to me like the image is scripted to actually rotate in a different direction at random intervals.

Edit - just spent some more time on it, using Kaveri's 'narrow the eyes' approach. On reflection, it's definitely not scripted; it seem (and I could be wrong) that the most important time here is the point at which the legs cross (i.e when the model is closest to vertical) - because of the shadow effect, the brain can easily 'switch' the direction the model is moving in at this point.

Just try watching the gif and blinking very, very, very fast if you can't see the switch...eventually you'll 'hook' onto the correct frame (possibly)
    January has April's showers
    And 2 and 2 always makes a 5

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Langrenus View Post
    it feels to me like the image is scripted to actually rotate in a different direction at random intervals.
    Yet prplchknz says he can only see it one way? if it was scripted like you said, wouldn't he/she have seen it?
    "No one can be free of the chains that surround them"