User Tag List

First 56789 Last

Results 61 to 70 of 86

  1. #61
    Senior Member Moiety's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ISFJ
    Posts
    6,020

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    Alot of great points have been made in this thread.

    I think it funny to directly compare the concept of an "alpha" male/female in humans to other species, namely wolves.

    Needless aggression/violence has been frowned upon by civilized people for many generations, thank God. What is not so admonished is the concept of assertiveness, or the ability of an individual to make predetermined social outcomes a reality. Those traits are necessary for anyone to live a full life, in my opinion.

    There are plenty of times in everyone's life where another individual will try to exert their will on us. Most often this is in a voluntary environment, such as the workplace. The boss tells someone to do something, and they do it. That is not needless aggression, the boss is in charge, they are the alpha, and they are not necessarily the biggest and baddest person in the room.

    There are times in life when someone has to be in charge. It is not always bad for thier to be a leader. Not everyone wants to be one, so we should be thankful when good ones do assert themselves and gain prominence in whatever pack they are running with.

    You needn't be an alpha to be a leader though.

  2. #62
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    I got:



    You scare the living daylights of out Alphas. You are by all definition, a GOD.

    ...Pretty accurate
    So does that mean, in terms of the standards of this test, that you're just ESPECIALLY rude and overbearing?

  3. #63
    Artisan Conquerer Halla74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE
    Posts
    6,927

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post
    You needn't be an alpha to be a leader though.
    Hey Sytpg! Yes, I understand that.

    If intact leadership is acceptable then why usurp it, right?

    Part of the benefit of not being in the top dog spot is that you don't have to worry about the crap that the top dog needs to worry about all the time.

    I'm fine functioning as a team player if the team has good players. However, I'll not be a follower of clueless people.

    In real life it is not possible, or necessary, to be in the alpha spot all the time. All I know is that my default disposition is to assume command of whatever I get into, it's just how I'm wired.

  4. #64
    Senior Member Grayscale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    MBTI
    istp
    Posts
    1,962

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    Hey Sytpg! Yes, I understand that.

    If intact leadership is acceptable then why usurp it, right?

    Part of the benefit of not being in the top dog spot is that you don't have to worry about the crap that the top dog needs to worry about all the time.

    I'm fine functioning as a team player if the team has good players. However, I'll not be a follower of clueless people.

    In real life it is not possible, or necessary, to be in the alpha spot all the time. All I know is that my default disposition is to assume command of whatever I get into, it's just how I'm wired.
    ^Aye! And if there is is any legitimacy behind this alpha/omega thing, it's that alphas assert their authority (most dictators) while omegas earn it (obama?) unfortunately for the alphas that is why their leadership can be shallow and short lived, who stays in charge is a matter of unspoken agreement by the group and if it becomes apparent that the alpha doesnt have the group's best interest in mind then staying in charge becomes a power struggle that he cant win. omegas can seem like betas because they are not worried about the overt struggle for power. of course, this only applies to civilized humans, animals arent that perceptive and generally just follow the strongest member of the pack. that is not to say omegas are not assertive... a good leader needs such a quality so as to not give up when the going gets tough, but this trait should not be used against those within the "pack" (who might also be competing for leadership) unless necessary for the greater good (such as putting an alpha in his place to protect the group's interests)

  5. #65
    Artisan Conquerer Halla74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE
    Posts
    6,927

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grayscale View Post
    ^Aye! And if there is is any legitimacy behind this alpha/omega thing, it's that alphas assert their authority (most dictators) while omegas earn it (obama?) unfortunately for the alphas that is why their leadership can be shallow and short lived, who stays in charge is a matter of unspoken agreement by the group and if it becomes apparent that the alpha doesnt have the group's best interest in mind then staying in charge becomes a power struggle that he cant win. omegas can seem like betas because they are not worried about the overt struggle for power. of course, this only applies to civilized humans, animals arent that perceptive and generally just follow the strongest member of the pack. that is not to say omegas are not assertive... a good leader needs such a quality so as to not give up when the going gets tough, but this trait should not be used against those within the "pack" (who might also be competing for leadership) unless necessary for the greater good (such as putting an alpha in his place to protect the group's interests)
    It appears that there are many perspectives which to view this particular concept of life. Ultimately we must all be at peace with our own on the matter so that when we reap what we've sown we have no regrets.

    BTW, Who says that alphas don't have the best interest of the pack at heart? I'm more prtoective of my wife, kids, and loved ones than anybody I know. I've put my own well being at risk to help those in need several times. I consciously choose to use my strengths, both physical and intellectual, for the greater good, in addition to the pursuit of my own happiness and that of my family. But yet I refuse to sit back and let someone else take the reigns of my life because I am quite content with the direction I am going. I don't bully anyone in any way; I never have, and I'll be damned if I let anyone bully me. Why does it appear that there is so much latent resentment toward those with dominant personalities, regardless of MBTI type?

    At any rate, It's interesting to me to hear so many different perspectives.

  6. #66
    Senior Member Synapse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4
    Socionics
    INFp
    Posts
    3,403

    Default

    Well chuffed I'm Omega

    Jason Bourne style I'm sure.

  7. #67
    Senior Member Grayscale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    MBTI
    istp
    Posts
    1,962

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    I'm more prtoective of my wife, kids, and loved ones than anybody I know. I've put my own well being at risk to help those in need several times. I consciously choose to use my strengths, both physical and intellectual, for the greater good, in addition to the pursuit of my own happiness and that of my family. But yet I refuse to sit back and let someone else take the reigns of my life because I am quite content with the direction I am going. I don't bully anyone in any way; I never have, and I'll be damned if I let anyone bully me.
    When I say 'overt power struggle' I mean leadership of people who are not your direct responsibility. I believe you would fit the omega profile more so than alpha, others are your primary concern and not a #1 status. that is why it is called 'alpha', the first, and if you are always the first by definition then you simply cant always put the best interest of others before your own. this is why omega outranks alpha in terms of clout, those who must always be first have a need to be first, usually at the cost of others' wellbeing. this is the telltale sign of their weakness--those who put others first not only have the most to give but quality of character to do so, this is what leads others to trust and elect them as the leader. doesnt have anything to do with being a pushover!

    in mountain climbing, the most experienced climber goes last in a rope chain when glacier crossing. that is because that position has the greatest responsibility for the safety of the group. the person in front gets to hold the compass but if they make a mistake and fall in a crevice they have the entire group to catch them. consequently they are not a "fearless leader", they are in the position of greatest safety.

  8. #68
    Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    xNFP
    Posts
    6,885

    Default

    Beta female
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

  9. #69
    meh Salomé's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    10,540

    Default

    LOL @ the people taking a "Hello Quizzy" test so seriously...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

  10. #70
    Seriously Delirious Udog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None
    Posts
    5,295

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bluemonday View Post
    LOL @ the people taking a "Hello Quizzy" test so seriously...
    There you go being all alpha again.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 133
    Last Post: 01-05-2015, 05:29 PM
  2. [MBTItm] Why the INFP male is the ideal match from an ENTJ female perspective
    By Harlow_Jem in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 96
    Last Post: 10-29-2010, 07:50 PM
  3. Are alpha males and females necessary anymore?
    By proteanmix in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 03-23-2010, 02:49 PM
  4. I found the 5th dichotomy : Male/Female (offensive)
    By machintruc in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 02-21-2008, 08:30 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO