Permabanned Array
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Cautious Thinker.

I really liked how they separated the Openness trait from the Imaginative/Earthy trait, because very simply, a lack of openness is often because of imagination.

~*taaa raaa raaa boom*~ Array targobelle's Avatar
    MBTI
    enfp
    ~t ...in need of hugs please...
    Jung Test Results
    Extroverted (E) 63.16% Intuitive (N) 60.53% Feeling (F) 84.38% Perceiving (P) 87.1% ~Your type is: ENFP

Plumage and Moult Array proteanmix's Avatar
    Enneagram
    1w2

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    I really liked how they separated the Openness trait from the Imaginative/Earthy trait, because very simply, a lack of openness is often because of imagination.
    I also wondered what the difference between Openness and Imaginative/Earthy was. I like that they're separated also. Maybe openness is Se and Earthy/Imaginative is N?

Openness: Your degree of openness to new experiences.

Imaginative/Earthy: Your preference for concrete or abstract things. Low means you prefer abstract, theoretical things. High means you prefer detail-oriented, practical things.
    Do you mean that lack of openness is because of someone relying on their own imagination?

I try to swing towards the middle of questions that I can recognize as S/N.

Dynamic Analyst

The analysis is fairly accurate.
    "Man is not made for defeat. A man can be destroyed but not defeated."
    - Ernest Hemingway

Permabanned Array
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    I also wondered what the difference between Openness and Imaginative/Earthy was. I like that they're separated also. Maybe openness is Se and Earthy/Imaginative is N?

Do you mean that lack of openness is because of someone relying on their own imagination?

I try to swing towards the middle of questions that I can recognize as S/N.

Well, I think Openness is Se or Ne, Earthy is Se or Si, and Imaginative is Ne or Ni.

And yes, I think a lack of openness could be, but not necessarily, because of a vivid imagination if you're ruled by an Ni function, but it could also be because of Si, simply because those two functions are cautious for their own reasons.

Ni can shy away from new experiences because they may have a picture in their minds of either what could go right or what could go wrong -- if you're more skeptical in your thinking, then Ni will be less open to experience. Specifically, this could intensify with Ni and Te preference, since Thinking is often more skeptical.

But a desire for habit is beneficial for both Ni and Si. For example, my need to have things a certain way helps me drift into creative thought.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    Playing around with the test, I think that;

Open = openness to new ideas and experiences (ie: the food questions)
    Creative = imaginative and abstract thinking (ie: the abstract questions)

Neither should apply to Ne over Ni or Se over Si - most of that is held in Spontaneity and authoritarianism.

Most notable about the test is that they are testing sub-traits that are normally correlated together, it won't fit into MBTI - or any model that it wasn't derived from for that matter. Makes it pretty interesting overall.

MBTI
    INFJ

Considerate visionary.

Permabanned Array
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Um, imaginative and abstract thinking seems to directly correlate to N.

Openness and spontaneity are obviously P.

Upon further common sense investigation, these two traits are ultimately nothing alike.

I like this PersonalDNA test's arrangement better.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    Um, imaginative and abstract thinking seems to directly correlate to N.

Openness and spontaneity are obviously P.
    Based upon...?

If you are talking about how this test was derived, openness, imaginative and abstract all come from the "FFM" equivalent grouping of "Openness", verbatim. MBTI doesn't measure openness directly - at least, not as a sub-factor... but the correlation is to N long before P (~.65 to .30 give or take a bit depending on the study).

Permabanned Array
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    Based upon...?

If you are talking about how this test was derived, openness, imaginative and abstract all come from the "FFM" equivalent grouping of "Openness", verbatim. MBTI doesn't measure openness directly - at least, not as a sub-factor... but the correlation is to N long before P (~.65 to .30 give or take a bit depending on the study).
    Sorry if I sounded like a smart ass back there -- wasn't my intention.

I thought that Openness is more related to willingness to learn about abstract ideas.

My openness is more of an intellectual sort. My interests are definitely more abstract than practical.

But when trying new foods and physical things like that, I'm more cautious. It's not that I don't want to try the food, but it's the possibility that I may not like it, especially if I'm the one paying for it. On the other hand, if it's at an all-you-can-eat buffet, I'm extremely open.

And another thing, where do you draw the line between the arts and entertainment? I'm extremely interested in movies, and I really don't see them as any less of an art form than painting. And I also do thorough research in films and watch them for intellectual and creative inspiration, while the entertainment is usually secondary.

I suppose I'm thinking that Openness in FFM refers more to intellectual openness rather than experiential openness. Because the way I see it, it seems that SPs are also open to new experiences.

Page 3 of 37 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast