User Tag List

First 7891011 Last

Results 81 to 90 of 111

  1. #81
    Occasional Member Evan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1
    Posts
    4,223

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wonkavision View Post
    So a Utilitarian is likely to say things like "Honesty is a standard which everyone should accept" or "Life is sacred"?

    LOL---Seems unlikely to me, but OK.
    Well, I did miss a few. The "life is sacred" thing wasn't the reasoning I gave, and neither was the honesty thing.

    You probably felt the same way as I did on those.

    Still, you could defend them from a socially utilitarian perspective in these ways:

    Life is sacred -- if people just kill themselves when it's hard, there's all sorts of social disruption and grief, not to mention a loss to the labor pool.

    Honesty is a standard which should be accepted -- it's inefficient for people to provide false information, if people base their decisions on something other than the truth, they will bump up against harsh reality at some point and face the consequences anyway. May as well tell them up-front.


    I don't necessarily agree with these rationalizations, but I can see the argument for them.

  2. #82
    Retired Member Wonkavision's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    IEE
    Posts
    1,155

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    Well, I did miss a few. The "life is sacred" thing wasn't the reasoning I gave, and neither was the honesty thing.

    You probably felt the same way as I did on those.

    Still, you could defend them from a socially utilitarian perspective in these ways:

    Life is sacred -- if people just kill themselves when it's hard, there's all sorts of social disruption and grief, not to mention a loss to the labor pool.

    Honesty is a standard which should be accepted -- it's inefficient for people to provide false information, if people base their decisions on something other than the truth, they will bump up against harsh reality at some point and face the consequences anyway. May as well tell them up-front.


    I don't necessarily agree with these rationalizations, but I can see the argument for them.
    LOL.

    I think I'm gonna start calling you "Stretch", because you do it constantly---and with real pinache, I might add.

    And if I ever murder somebody in the style of O.J. Simpson, I will definitely request your services as a lawyer!
    __________________


    I'M OUTTA HERE.

    IT'S BEEN FUN.

    TAKE CARE.

    PEACE OUT!!!


  3. #83
    Occasional Member Evan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1
    Posts
    4,223

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wonkavision View Post
    LOL.

    I think I'm gonna start calling you "Stretch", because you do it constantly---and with real pinache, I might add.

    And if I ever murder somebody in the style of O.J. Simpson, I will definitely request your services as a lawyer!
    And you say I don't have Ne!!!

  4. #84
    Retired Member Wonkavision's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    IEE
    Posts
    1,155

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    And you say I don't have Ne!!!
    Well, once again, you do not understand Ne.

    Ne, when supported by an Introverted Judging function, is oriented toward ACTION, in the REAL WORLD.

    It does not generate random silly ideas which serve no purpose--or rationalizations which are too stupid for even the person generating them to agree with.

    It generates ideas involving how things can be used in new ways, or combined in new ways and re-purposed---The KEY word being PURPOSE.

    It's not generally used for navel-gazing and bullshit artistry--though you have cleverly re-purposed it as such, demonstrating that you are, in fact, an Ne-user, and clearly only in the Auxilliary sense! (aka--you haven't really developed it much)
    __________________


    I'M OUTTA HERE.

    IT'S BEEN FUN.

    TAKE CARE.

    PEACE OUT!!!


  5. #85
    Occasional Member Evan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1
    Posts
    4,223

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wonkavision View Post
    Well, once again, you do not understand Ne.

    Ne, when supported by an Introverted Judging function, is oriented toward ACTION, in the REAL WORLD.

    It does not generate random silly ideas which serve no purpose--or rationalizations which are too stupid for even the person generating them to agree with.

    It generates ideas involving how things can be used in new ways, or combined in new ways and re-purposed---The KEY word being PURPOSE.

    It's not generally used for navel-gazing and bullshit artistry--though you have cleverly re-purposed it as such, demonstrating that you are, in fact, an Ne-user, and clearly only in the Auxilliary sense! (aka--you haven't really developed it much)
    It's pretty hard for me not to respond to this in a condescending way.

    Anyway, not sure I even prefer Ne to Ni... your reasoning is totally off, though.

  6. #86
    Retired Member Wonkavision's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    IEE
    Posts
    1,155

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    It's pretty hard for me not to respond to this in a condescending way.

    Anyway, not sure I even prefer Ne to Ni... your reasoning is totally off, though.
    Well, I was being charitable (and intentionally facetious).

    Your "use" of Ne is so poor it would not surprise me if it was your Inferior function.
    __________________


    I'M OUTTA HERE.

    IT'S BEEN FUN.

    TAKE CARE.

    PEACE OUT!!!


  7. #87
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wonkavision View Post
    Well, I was being charitable (and intentionally facetious).

    Your "use" of Ne is so poor it would not surprise me if it was your Inferior function.
    Are you two the new Sim and Jag?

    Would you please just make out already?

  8. #88
    i love skylights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne
    Posts
    7,835

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wonkavision View Post
    It does not generate random silly ideas which serve no purpose
    who are you kidding?



    anyway yeah i'm not sure about utilitarianism. my general beliefs run more kantian than millsian and i still scored high.

    maybe i'll just write my answers/rankings. analyze if you please:

    1. Think about a time when you have promised something to a friend. How important is it for people to keep promises, if they can, to their friends?
    - Important; Your friend might need what you promised them.
    -- people change their behaviors based on promises. to renege on a promise could mean potentially screwing over your friend's plans, and thus should be avoided if not precluded by something of great importance.

    2. What about keeping a promise to any person? How important is it for people to keep promises, if they can, even to someone they hardly know?
    - Important; If everyone kept their word, there would be more openness and harmony.
    - if no one kept their word, things would be a pain in the ass. the government would suck (even more) ass.

    3. How about keeping a promise to a child? How important is it for parents to keep promises, if they can, to their children?
    - Very Important; Children look up to parents and learn from them.
    - this answer comes entirely from my class on child development. kids learn via imitation. shitty behavior in adult -> shitty behavior in child. not to mention kids rely on parents for security, and breaking promises totally destroys that. that can mess them up for life. if you don't keep promises to anyone else, i don't really care, but keep them to your kids.

    4. How important is it, in general, for people to tell the truth to others?
    - Important; It's important for society.
    - same as keeping promises to most people. if everyone lied all the time, things would be a pain in the ass.

    5. Think about when you have helped your own mother or father. How important is it for children to help parents?
    - Important; Helping your parents promotes harmony and will strengthen your relationship with them.
    - shows love and appreciation, promotes tight family ties, encourages kids to find value in doing tasks well, etc.

    6. A friend of yours needs help and may even die. You are the only one who can save that person. How important is it for someone (without losing his or her own life) to save the life of a friend?
    - Important; You should help out of respect and because you should care about your fellow human beings.
    - all these answers suck. it's your friend. i assume you want them around.

    7. What about saving the life of anyone? How important is it for a person (without losing his or her own life) to save the life of a complete stranger?
    - Important; People must help each other for the sake of society.

    8. How important is it for a person to live even if they don't want to?
    - Important; Under severe circumstances, individuals should be able to choose to die with dignity.
    - it's important to keep living long enough to make sure it's not because of depression or something changeable like that. beyond that, i see no reason to hold people here against their will.

    9. How important is it for people not to take things which belong to others?
    - Important; Respecting the right to property is an obligation that goes along with the privileges of living in a society.

    10. How important is it for people to obey the law?
    - Important; Laws make order possible in society.

    11. How important is it for the courts to send people who break the law to prison?
    - Important; In the long run, society must find better solutions than prison.

    40/44.

    i wish they would reveal what the "right" answers are. higher scorers, you should share

  9. #89
    Retired Member Wonkavision's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    IEE
    Posts
    1,155

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post

    i wish they would reveal what the "right" answers are. higher scorers, you should share
    Well, it seemed to me as I was taking the test that if you consistently picked answers which were the most altruistic, you would score the highest.

    But I didn't actually test that out, so I'm not sure.

    There is a bias though, I'm sure of that.

    Which makes the test kind of shitty, in my opinion.
    __________________


    I'M OUTTA HERE.

    IT'S BEEN FUN.

    TAKE CARE.

    PEACE OUT!!!


  10. #90
    Retired Member Wonkavision's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    IEE
    Posts
    1,155

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    Are you two the new Sim and Jag?

    Would you please just make out already?
    If Evan's down with it, so am I.

    The patent irrationality of Ti turns me on!
    __________________


    I'M OUTTA HERE.

    IT'S BEEN FUN.

    TAKE CARE.

    PEACE OUT!!!


Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-26-2015, 09:04 AM
  2. Individual responsibilty and social responsibility
    By Survive & Stay Free in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-04-2013, 11:10 PM
  3. Crisis in social responsibility?
    By Survive & Stay Free in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-03-2013, 10:58 AM
  4. Personal responsibility vs. Social responsibility
    By Survive & Stay Free in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-28-2012, 04:55 PM
  5. Limit's Questionnaire- CF's Responses
    By CuriousFeeling in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-13-2011, 03:56 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO