• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Musical skill tests online

Splittet

Wannabe genius
MBTI Type
INTJ
Are you saying that somehow, all of these people that have taken this had musical training or something of some sort, and my results aren't that weird? If that's the case, I feel better. And what's an SD?

Well, that's not what I was trying to say there, but I have mentioned that earlier in the thread. It's just like with online IQ tests. People who take them and seek them out are quite a lot smarter than the average person. The average IQ for people taking online tests is something like 115 (84th percentile), while it is 100 in the general population. The thing is, I think these musical tests will attract people very interested in music and musicians to a larger degree than the average human, which makes the sample biased. Just how much better the sample is than the average population, I cannot now, but if it is along the lines of online IQ tests, it's about 1SD.

Wikipedia on standard deviation (it's a statistical term): Standard deviation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Standard deviation kind of has to do with a standardized measure of deviation in statistical data. A small table on the meaning of it (hopefully you will get a sense of what it means then):

-3SD: 0,1st percentile
-2,5SD: 0,6th percentile
-2SD: 2nd percentile
-1,5SD: 6th percentile
-1SD: 16th percentile
-0,5SD: 31st percentile
0SD: 50th percentile
0,5SD: 69th percentile
+1SD: 84th percentile
+1,5SD: 93rd percentile
+2SD: 98th percentile (Mensa membership requirement)
+2,5SD: 99,4th percentile
+3SD: 99,9th percentile

(Notice the symmetry.)

You should also see this graph: Image:Standard deviation diagram.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Truly, having some understanding have this has enhanced my quality of life!

zhandao

MBTI Type
xxxx
Pitch: 4.2Hz
The rest: At first, I said "Fuck it" to because I could never remember the first phrase.

But okay I did them, so:
Rhythm: 84%
Tone: 83.3% <- Wow, this one was surprising. Half of them I chuckled to myself thinking the phrase was too retardedly hard to remember. I think I may have done better when I stopped trying to consciously record the music, instead waiting to see if my unconscious (intuition?) picked up a difference. I might retake the test to check later but I'm too lazy now.

It seems my pitch score is kinda low (high?) for my other scores, compared to the other results in this thread. I do tend to have a harder time than most (or so I believe) understanding verbal speech. Lyrics are especially troubling, and most especially lyrics in rap music. I instead am drawn to the overall melody and harmony and whatever musical interplay. If the test asked me about the overall "themes" (for the lack of a better word) in the music I think I could answer better.

I played piano for 13 years (until I graduated high school) and played competitively (got one or two state championships in middle school until I got too lazy to practice in high school). Haven't touched a piano since two years ago, and although I just picked up the guitar it's not the same because I am hardly serious with it.

Edit: Though, I wonder if my crappy onboard sound system affects the pitch test? 2.1Hz on two subsequent retests, btw... after I realized there was a replay button.

bluebell

MBTI Type
INTP
Pitch ~1.5Hz

Tone deaf 70% (the irony being I have close to perfect pitch - but I can't hear notes if the pitch is too low or too weird/electronic)

The rhythym one wouldn't load but I know I kinda suck at rhythym, so I'll assume a low score.

nothappy

First link:
88.9 % correct

Second link:
80.0 %

Third link
10.8 Hz - EW

so I just suck at pitch perception?
... weird.

LOL nevermind.
1.95 Hz 2nd time taking it.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
I'm a fucking drummer and I only got 76% on the rhythm... I'm ashamed...

Turbinado

MBTI Type
INTP
Rhythm 88.0
Tonedeaf 86.1
Adaptive pitch: I got 24 Hz the first time and 2.1 Hz the second time. Nothing weird happened so I have no idea why my score changed from the 0th to the 42nd percentile.
Musical-visual: 85%. Weird but fun!

Zelath

MBTI Type
INfP
Tone: 69.4% Correct
Rhythm: 80.0% Correct
Pitch: 5.4 Hz

Leysing

MBTI Type
FiSi
Tonedeaf: 100.0 % :shock: :happy0065:
Rhythm: 80.0 %
Pitch: 1.425 Hz

ssrprotege

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Tonedeaf: 86.1%
Rhythm: 80.0%
Pitch: 1.5 Hz
Musical-Visual one: 95.0%

dyspraxion

MBTI Type
INtP
Enneagram
4w5
I think I did pretty well, considering how tired I am.

tone-77.8%
rhythm-68.0%
pitch-1.5 Hz

StoryOfMyLife

MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Tone: 83.3% [mind you I was interrupted by a lot of background noise, i.e. dogs barking, kittens screaming, and the roomie talking..I should take this over later..]

Rhythm: 72%

Pitch: 2.4 Hz

quietmusician

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Tone Score: 80.6% Correct
Rhythm: 72.0% Correct
Pitch: 3.9 Hz

Charmed Justice

Nickle Iron Silicone
MBTI Type
INFJ
Tone: 91.7%
Rhythm: 92 or 97th% percentile
Pitch: 3.6 Hz

That was neat!

One Day

MBTI Type
INfP
Enneagram
5w4
Tone: 88.9%
Pitch: 0.6 Hz
Rhythm: 88%

Lacey

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I got 80-something on the rhythm test. (I just closed the window and already forgot the exact number...what is happening to my short-term memory???) I haven't had musical training, so...hooray for tap dance.

My other two scores were just embarrassing.

KDude

theadoor

*hmmms*
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
8w9
In both i was among normal, and in pitch I was 9,6 :D No wonder why I'm into musical guys :D

P

Phantonym

Oh, very cool test. :)

Tone: 80.6%

Rhythm: 52% first try; 56% second try; 76% third try. Hmm...interesting. The first try completely threw me off, I couldn't concentrate on the rhythm at all or adjust my brain to it and it all sounded the same.

Adaptive Pitch: 0,675 Hz

Musical-visual: total score 85%

eclecticreject

MBTI Type
INFP
10 years playing violin. 9 years playing piano.

Tone: 83.3%
Rhythm:76%
Pitch: 22.2 Hz

No surprise. I suck at pitch and it frustrates me.

EDIT: Retried Pitch: 1.5 Hz
First time must have been a total fluke or maybe I got lucky the second time or maybe I got just a handle on it.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Tone deaf: 83.3
Rhythm: 84
Pitch: 1.2 Hz

This was fun, but I was quite fatigued when taking it, so may try again tomorrow.