Thread: Fudjack/Dinkelaker Functional Preferences Instrument

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Eric B View Post
    The problem is, you're still taking a very monolithic view of each of the eight function-attitudes. But the function attitudes are generated by a function, plus the inner or outer orientation the ego places it in at a given time. So the person does not "have" both Ni and Ti in preferred positions. If he's a J, then that means he by definition extraverts judgment, and introverts perception.
    Sorry to cut you off so quickly, but nothing is true "by definition" until it is confirmed in reality and without bias toward the hypothesis. Or to put it another way, to be true "by definition" is analytic and empty when lacking a certain empirical basis, as with a scientific study.
    Reminder (for others):
    Your = belonging to you, you're = you are, they're = they are, their = belonging to them, there = not here.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

But this is an abstract construct, defined by someone with a particular meaning. The whole thing is criticized for lacking empirical science, but we can still employ in observing people.

I should also add that SW did have a bit of softness in his communication that TJ's tend not to have. The difference is very subtle, and hard to domonstrate, though.
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ni

But this is an abstract construct, defined by someone with a particular meaning. The whole thing is criticized for lacking empirical science, but we can still employ in observing people.

I should also add that SW did have a bit of softness in his communication that TJ's tend not to have. The difference is very subtle, and hard to domonstrate, though.
    All religion is an abstract defined by someone. That 'someone' is considered to be God, and then the religion is interpreted and reinterpreted by man. You can see that Jung plays the role of God here, Myers and Briggs play the role of interpreting Jung's word. There is even a schismatic branching off from the main branch, known as Socionics.

I'm certain that the MBTI can be and is applicable, at least for about (let's say) 50% of those being typed. The rest kind of fall into the "Hmmm, I dunno" category, and mistyping is very common because the MBTI forces a choice that may be wrong for you.

If you're not curious to know why, and if you're satisfied with the results so far, that's up to you; but I like to trace a theory to its source and determine its limits. (Edit - thanks to John for doing all the digging and tracing for us!)
    Reminder (for others):
    Your = belonging to you, you're = you are, they're = they are, their = belonging to them, there = not here.

Habitual Fi LineStepper Array JocktheMotie's Avatar

What a great name for a test. Was this guy the creator?

intuiting =14
    sensing =6
    feeling =3
    thinking =14

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ni

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    What a great name for a test. Was this guy the creator?

intuiting =14
    sensing =6
    feeling =3
    thinking =14
    Another mixed dominant function.
    Reminder (for others):

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by mal12345 View Post
    All religion is an abstract defined by someone. That 'someone' is considered to be God, and then the religion is interpreted and reinterpreted by man. You can see that Jung plays the role of God here, Myers and Briggs play the role of interpreting Jung's word. There is even a schismatic branching off from the main branch, known as Socionics.
    And the schismatic claims to be the real branch! Yeah; perfect analogy!
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)

Type Ideas

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ni

And the schismatic claims to be the real branch! Yeah; perfect analogy!
    Damning an analogy for failing to be perfect does nothing to the analogy itself. Because an analogy does not need to be perfect, only strong enough to bring the point into focus. It obviously worked because you drew the analogy somewhat further to point out the imperfection. You could also say that the MBTI doesn't require prayer to its deity and make the same point.

And that point is not proven by analogy anyway, it is proven by the fact that the MBTI is a dogma based on Prophet Jung's intuitions about a collective unconscious. That's a better analogy anyway. Jung = prophet; collective unconscious = God.
    Reminder (for others):

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

I'm not damning the analogy; I was affirming it. (The banghead was aimed at the fact of what was said; not the analogy itself).

Type Ideas

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    3w2 so

intuiting =17
    sensing =6
    feeling =6
    thinking =8
    Bad Santa
    Time will explain.
    ~Persuasion - by Jane Austen

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ni

I'm not damning the analogy; I was affirming it. (The banghead was aimed at the fact of what was said; not the analogy itself).
    Thanks for explaining. A perfect analogy is fairly rare, I can't think of any without looking up examples.

A friend of mine recently asked me why the MBTI is so popular. I simply answered, "It came first." But I don't think that's the entire story. There is an addictive ritualizing element. It is an intellectually addicting dogma. And I noticed someone's sig on this forum stating that overuse of the MBTI can lead to some kind of dependency problems. As a type 5 inTp, the last thing I need is to become intellectually attached to a dogma.

This is something I went through over 25 years ago. The saving grace of it all is that the MBTI led to the Enneagram, which taught me about integrating to 8. Ever since then I have been dedicated to interacting with the real world (e.g., work and relationships) in a meaningful manner instead of just pondering the universe or other people's personality types. That doesn't mean I don't dabble in intellectual matters, but now it's a hobby that has occasional application, it's not a way of life. Typology helped me understand my present marriage situation, thus helping me over the hurdle of understanding the other person so I can properly attune my responses, and I'm grateful to typology for that.

At first I wrote "adjust" instead of "attune," but adjusting is something people do just to get used to something. Attuning is very different from adjusting. It bears a stronger connotation of harmony and even empathy, and in order to accomplish this I have to fully understand what (or who) it is I am attuning with.

Back to the intellectually addicting dogma: I am not primarily interested in Fudjack's accomplishment of spelling out the basic problem with the MBTI, as in finding out once and for all why the MBTI affected me so much 25 years ago. I can't do anything about the part of me attracted to dogmas like the MBTI, but once I learn to identify the system as a potentially harmful dogma it is effectively vanquished, for me anyway.
    Reminder (for others):