User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Spammer Announcement

Doesn't Read Your Posts Array Haight's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Anja View Post
    I see that viewpoint also. But don't agree.

Ya gotta know, anyway, that I'll go with the flow. Might jump up and down a bit in the boat, though, and splash a bit!
    Are you serious?

You mean that if you're in a thread and someone is running four different accounts in that thread simultaneously - some accounts interacting with his other accounts and some with members - you don't have a problem with that?
    "The only time I'm wrong is when I'm questioning myself."
    Haight

MBTI
    INFP

I doubt it.

It could come to a point of irritation if the person were persistant in their habit, though. There have been times on forums which have become "home" over time. I can get some testy if I see it affecting the normal operation of the forum. My experience is that extremely disruptive posters tend to self-destruct eventually. Or otherwise they find out that they will be accepted and begin to tone it down. Lot of them are leading with their chins in my perception. Self-protective-like.

You know. That old "slam them before they slam me?" That indicates an expectation of being treated poorly and says something about the poster's life experience.

We don't know what kind of motivation this very timid poster had. He may have been acting out of an addled brain and fear of lack of acceptance. Or not.

Doesn't cause me much concern either way.

Otherwise I'm just curious about what's going on with that person.

And the multiple identities thing would be aggravating for a moderator although I wouldn't assign the same significance to it as has been applied here.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

Doesn't Read Your Posts Array Haight's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTj

Well, it's against the rules on the site, so that's all that matters.
    "The only time I'm wrong is when I'm questioning myself."
    Haight

Protocol Droid Array Athenian200's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

That was an ingenious spamming method, I have to admit... it took me a while to even see that he was spamming, although something did seem a little off about the posts.

I'm still trying to figure out what that guy was selling, though. It was spam, but it made no sense... it was just information about commonly known ideas. Where was the profit and the incentive to work so hard at it? Furthermore, why were they willing to go to so much work to spam this particular forum? I mean, a script couldn't have done that... a person actually started out, and then turned a script on and off between writing a few of their own posts. I wonder if it could be someone with a personal vendetta trying to trash this place?

Anyway, I guess I'll be on the lookout for more posts like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    That was an ingenious spamming method, I have to admit... it took me a while to even see that he was spamming, although something did seem a little off about the posts.

I'm still trying to figure out what that guy was selling, though. It was spam, but it made no sense... it was just information about commonly known ideas. Where was the profit?

Anyway... I guess I'll be on the lookout for more posts like that.
    I would've guessed google ranking but the linked sites don't look like sites that are trying to boost their rank. a long time ago at intpc there was a group of people who coordinated spamming.. wouldn't be entirely surprised if some bored group of people was doing it.

hey ma! got a tatoo Array prplchknz's Avatar
    MBTI
    yupp

see me I doubt he had mpd. Not that I know shit about it, but don't you kinda blackout between personalities. I mean if he did it probably be kinda like "This person keeps sneaking on my computer and using it for MBTIc!!! If I find that bastard I'm going to kill him, for breaking into my house and using my computer!!" though I could be totally wrong, cuz I know shit just about.
    by @magpie

No complaint about the ban.

I am just really intrigued by what his particular form of spamming was intended to do.

I must admit, I actually found many of the spam posts interesting too. Guess, I'm a sucker. But I'm not sure what I got suckered into.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

The Unwieldy Clawed One Array Falcarius's Avatar
    MBTI
    COOL
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    Dino None

Falcarius is so setting forward a motion to get Mr Haight to put back up the 'Visitor Message' space of every member who has ever got banned for spamming; What better poetic justice is there than spamming a spammer?

Falcarius has a few more cans and goes to bed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thalassa View Post
    Oh our 3rd person reference to ourselves denotes nothing more than we realize we are epic characters on the forum.

Narcissism, plain and simple.

The ultimate in bizarre: a cross between an ostrich, a gorilla, and Edward Scissorhands.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Haight View Post
    Well, it's against the rules on the site, so that's all that matters.
    Got it!
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Annoucement...that's funny.

Edit: Damn, it's been fixed.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness