User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INFP

Oh.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

Quote Originally Posted by V Profane View Post
    Usually, the point of being a spammer is playing the percentages. There will always be a portion of humanity that is naive/desperate/stupid enough to fall for your shit. So even if you hit millions of people (at basically no cost) and only 1% bite, you're laughing.
    usually its me lol
    "Honest differences are often a healthy sign of progress. "

"You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty."

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."

Mahatma Gandhi

Enneagram: 9w1

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Anja View Post
    ,,, What if the guy is a genuine MPD? Then you may be DISCRIMINATING. *Shudder.*
    Have him fax us a copy of his drivers licenses (one for each personality) and we'll see what we can do.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFP

I still don't get it. People are seeking laughs at other peoples' expense all over the place here. Some overt/some covert. Who's the lesser for it?

I truly can't see the human damage in these relatively innocent, unimaginative and transparent sallies into "diabolically" trapping people into responding to a false post. If that is, indeed, what the poster has in mind.

I'd like to hear what the objection is.

Is it practical? Forum space being used in a frivolous way? Fear of looking like a fool if one responds to a fatuous post?

If the hunch is correct the imposter is only getting one-percent satisfaction out of his considerable effort. Can we begrudge him that when there are those here who are gluttonously and overtly feasting on the discomfort of others?

What is it that is so disturbing?
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    INFP

Addendum: Actually, I don't buy the theory of a frivolous post. Each post demonstrates something about the poster.

Enneagram
    1w2

Quote Originally Posted by Anja View Post
    I still don't get it. People are seeking laughs at other peoples' expense all over the place here. Some overt/some covert. Who's the lesser for it?

I truly can't see the human damage in these relatively innocent, unimaginative and transparent sallies into "diabolically" trapping people into responding to a false post. If that is, indeed, what the poster has in mind.

I'd like to hear what the objection is.

Is it practical? Forum space being used in a frivolous way? Fear of looking like a fool if one responds to a fatuous post?

If the hunch is correct the imposter is only getting one-percent satisfaction out of his considerable effort. Can we begrudge him that when there are those here who are gluttonously and overtly feasting on the discomfort of others?

What is it that is so disturbing?
    Most spammers come to message boards to sell or advertise so this person is a spammer in a different class. He was advertising ideas I guess, but that's a acceptable on a forum like this.

If someone is copying and pasting (basically plagiarizing) and being generally intellectually dishonest you're starting unequally. You think someone is dealing with you honestly and truthfully when they're basically a form letter. Which is what tblood and his/her various incarnations were doing. Just dumping large tracts of other people's writing's in a thread. So I guess it's like arguing with a piece of furniture, no engagement other forum members is occurring. Most of the spam tblood posted was very esoteric so we know what where its interests lie. But I get what you're saying about other people on the forum behaving in the same manner but being more suave about it. I'd like to get rid of them as well. I'm not for being toyed with as someone's entertainment but a lot of people get their rocks off like that. I suppose that's what stinks about it. The spammer is essentially using people for their own secret joy. Do you mind being used because I sure do.
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

MBTI
    INFP

It's funny, protean, that I don't see it in the same way as you. Everywhere we go, all the time, nice and naughty people are out there running their agendas on us. Overt, and the more frightening, covert. Fact of life.

I think the "spammer" was a fascinating conumdrum and worthy of notice. Curiousity. I'd have liked, as heart, to figure out his motives. It didn't look malicious to me. Maybe even a little pathetic. Someone sitting all alone, scheming and dreaming away trying to attract human attention. That's what trolling is all about, certainly.

I rarely offer more investment than I'm willing to give away. If I accidently do once or twice I may feel betrayed, but not in any way diminished, by someone else's unpleasant behavior. And I use it to remember not to do it again with that particular person.

No one can rob me of attention I am wiling to give. That's how I look at it.

Edit: Thanks for the reply.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    ... The spammer is essentially using people for their own secret joy. Do you mind being used because I sure do.
    Yes. I mind, and I'm glad they were eliminated.
    Why fill up the server with that useless junk?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

There's also the matter of the 20+ dupe accounts (and counting). That alone would be enough to justify the banning, and in fact it often is. The weird posting history is not the main reason for this--it just meant that they were not caught until after they were on members' radars, because they impersonated a valid member better than other spammers do. Most spammers we ban, you guys never even know about.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    INFP

I see that viewpoint also. But don't agree.

Ya gotta know, anyway, that I'll go with the flow. Might jump up and down a bit in the boat, though, and splash a bit!