User Tag List

First 123412 Last

Thread: Featured Member

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    2w5 sx

The likes thing is not a good idea. Just... isnt. Please dont do it.

There dont need to be more popularity contests in the world. Theres an obnoxious amount already.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Merced View Post
    I wasn't aware there was a point in time where the forum didn't have likes. Even then, seeing how you can only like a post once, how is this bad? There's a page dedicated to top five most liked members and top five members who gave likes. What's the difference there?
    I think that is bullshit too and would [work to] remove it if I were still an admin on staff.

Likes have no bearing on whether someone "deserves" to be a featured member. It can simply mean that someone has enough friends that they can just run up each other's likes. Why not just have someone on staff pick someone who is either interesting or contributes a lot to the forum community?

I'm surprised at your surprise, but I guess you were not on the forum before Likes were installed -- we had a HELL of a huge forum row about it, very heated, everyone had an opinion, and we almost did not do it because of how heated it was. But we decided to give it a shot and lo and behold the forum did not crash and burn.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    2w3
    Socionics
    LSE Si

Quote Originally Posted by Totenkindly View Post
    I think that is bullshit too and would [work to] remove it if I were still an admin on staff.

Likes have no bearing on whether someone "deserves" to be a featured member. It can simply mean that someone has enough friends that they can just run up each other's likes. Why not just have someone on staff pick someone who is either interesting or contributes a lot to the forum community?

I'm surprised at your surprise, but I guess you were not on the forum before Likes were installed -- we had a HELL of a huge forum row about it, very heated, everyone had an opinion, and we almost did not do it because of how heated it was. But we decided to give it a shot and lo and behold the forum did not crash and burn.
    Seems like the concept of having a featured member to begin with is what you're against. Having staff pick it sounds much worse than number of likes determining it because then it's just favoritism as opposed to having a lot of friends. At least there's democracy in that. What if it was most liked post of the month?
    MBTI: Te = Ne > Ni = Si > Se > Fi > Fe > Ti
    Enneagram: 2w3 - 8w7 - 7w8 (The Humanitarian) | sx/so/sp
    Zodiac: Aries-Taurus Cusp Sun, Scorpio Moon, Gemini Rising
    Holland Code: Enterprising > Social > Artistic = Conventional = Investigative > Realistic
    Temperaments: Sanguine = Choleric > Melancholic > Phlegmatic
    Potter House: Slytherin
    Johari · Private Blog · Nohari

The MBTI Test Test Status: Phase One

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    2w5 sx

I dont think its really meant to be a contest. Just more people volunteering and then waiting their turn.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Merced View Post
    Seems like the concept of having a featured member to begin with is what you're against.
    Wow. Way to teach me I just need to tune you out in the future.

Having staff pick it sounds much worse than number of likes determining it because then it's just favoritism as opposed to having a lot of friends. At least there's democracy in that. What if it was most liked post of the month?
    Yes, because that isn't even MORE easy to have membership rig. Good job.

Don't bother to respond, I'm checked out on this exchange from here on out.

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    I dont think its really meant to be a contest. Just more people volunteering and then waiting their turn.
    Yeah, maybe if it's again more about just "interesting" people or people who are honestly willing to put themselves out there in detail for others to get to learn about -- self-disclosure.

At some point, someone will still have to do selecting, we can't get around that much unfortunately. But if you make it so it includes some volition on people volunteering to be pretty open in their interviews (and there are good interviews), then that makes it less of a popularity contest thing.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    2w3
    Socionics
    LSE Si

Quote Originally Posted by Totenkindly View Post
    Wow. Way to teach me I just need to tune you out in the future. Yes, because that isn't even MORE easy to have membership rig. Good job. Don't bother to respond, I'm checked out on this exchange from here on out.
    I am genuinely confused right now.
    MBTI: Te = Ne > Ni = Si > Se > Fi > Fe > Ti
    Enneagram: 2w3 - 8w7 - 7w8 (The Humanitarian) | sx/so/sp
    Zodiac: Aries-Taurus Cusp Sun, Scorpio Moon, Gemini Rising
    Holland Code: Enterprising > Social > Artistic = Conventional = Investigative > Realistic
    Temperaments: Sanguine = Choleric > Melancholic > Phlegmatic
    Potter House: Slytherin
    Johari · Private Blog · Nohari

The MBTI Test Test Status: Phase One

the downfall for many users is depending on likes for self esteem.

Although I wouldn’t mind a featured member having a random maxed out rep bad.

But les b real there only a few solid members in typo c in terms of consistent posting and do wonderful social commentary.

Although I do feel featured even if it’s not listed

MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Raffaella View Post
    Can we nominate people?

I nominate @Xann
    Quote Originally Posted by Starry View Post
    Why isn't this being done?

I suppose I would volunteer to be the featured user for the month of October if that were okay? @highlander

Winter in Your Soul Crystal Winter Dream's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    174 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

I nominate @Gentleman Jack and @Atomic Fiend

We need some fabulous Se.
    Winter Solstice (A feeling): Finding the brute of yourself while enduring the brute of the world.
    Likes Atomic Fiend, DulcetRefrain liked this post