User Tag List

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Default Responsive Mobile Skin Coming Soon

A couple of years ago, I installed Tapatalk to provide a mobile interface for the forum. We had been using the default VBulletin mobile skin which isn't very full featured and pretty ugly. Tapatalk has worked ok but it turns out that a lot of people do not want to install an app to access a website. Because of that, we tried a commercial mobile skin called MetroMobile. MetroMobile unfortunately turned out to be buggy and we ended up having to remove it. We reinstalled Tapatalk and there are a (relatively) small number of members who use that. In total there have been 5400 posts in Tapatalk over the last two years which is relatively small number in comparison to the forum as a whole.

Mobile is important as it represents about 50% of the traffic to the site, so I have been anxious for a better solution. I don't want people to have to install an app to use the site on Mobile and though we can use the full forum interface on mobile (that's what I do) it is clunky.

I have made the decision to go down a different path and hopefully the third time will be a charm. We are going to develop a new custom mobile skin for the forum. It will not include all of the functionality on the main site but will have the most important features. The skin will be fully responsive. What that means is the mobile interface will provide an optimal viewing and interaction experience - easy reading and navigation with minimum of resizing, panning and scrolling - across a wide range of devices. Importantly, it will be compatible with and will integrate with several key modifications on the site such as advanced user tagging (gives you most of your notifications), rep history, advanced post thanks/likes, subforum icons, single sign-on to the Wiki, Sphinx search, and our anti-spam plug-in.

The person who is working on this has done all of the other major development work on the site - like the home page, adding the Wiki, reputation history, the social media personality test, etc. I have confidence that he will do good work.

I anticipate this will be done somewhere around four to six weeks from now.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

who are

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    We are going to develop a new custom mobile skin for the forum. It will not include all of the functionality on the main site but will have the most important features.
    This is why I do NOT use the mobile version of the site currently. It is very limiting and the full version loads just fine. Some places like PerC have their own mobile version of the website, but it is too bloated for it to be nice to use. TypeC's current website is not all all resource heavy. I really don't think I'd change my mind with a new mobile theme.

Just my two cents. Not sure what other mobile users think.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by /DG/ View Post
    This is why I do NOT use the mobile version of the site currently. It is very limiting and the full version loads just fine. Some places like PerC have their own mobile version of the website, but it is too bloated for it to be nice to use. TypeC's current website is not all all resource heavy. I really don't think I'd change my mind with a new mobile theme.

Just my two cents. Not sure what other mobile users think.
    I think you'll find that ours won't be bloated and it will have the essential features that people use. If it doesn't, please let me know which features are important that are missing.

You will always have the option of switching over to the full version if you don't like it.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

breaking out of my cocoon SearchingforPeace's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE None

I use full versions of most websites, except for very few sites, even though I am on my phone most of the time. I just hate the limited options of most mobile skins and the inferior user experience.....

Looking forward to see if this one will be different.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Archilochus
    The fox knows many things--the hedgehog one big one.
    And I am not a hedgehog......

-------------------

Jesus said "Blessed are the peacemakers" not "blessed are the conflict avoiders.....

9w8 6w5 4w5 sx/so
    Likes an hero liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Just letting you know this is still coming. Should be a clean design.

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

There were some technical challenges with this which is pushing out the timeline. It's still coming - hopefully in the next month or so.

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

This is going to come soon and will be installed on the forum for testing.

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

I'm testing this now and it looks pretty good. We'll install it on the forum soon for broader evaluation and testing.

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Closing this thread to consolidate feedback in one place. See This Thread to provide feedback

Tri-type 639