Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    It's a great movie. Thanks Jack.

Victor.
    "No problemo!" --Terminator 2

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

I'm resurrecting this thread because I think every member/would-be member should read it. I would sticky, but somehow I doubt that'll happen.

I've been trying to organize my thoughts on what makes me uncomfortable about this site but I think what has been said here illustrates it better than anything I could say.

There is another thread somewhere about corrupt administration. Someone said Haight owns the site and therefore can do whatever he sees fit. I don't agree. Haight/fc may own the infrastructure, but infrastructure is arguably the least important part of an active forum.

They do not own the content, nor the relationships people form. Or did I miss the part where you have to sign an intellectual property agreement to give up the rights to your own thoughts? The contributors are the lifeblood of this and any forum.

I'm not trying to stir controversy, I just think this is important to discuss and it is important for everyone to be aware of what they are signing up to.
    For my part, I prefer to take a back seat for now. I don't like being monitored/discussed/dissed by strangers. I am weary of the banning threats and the cloak and dagger stuff. I don't like how dissent is dealt with or how people now feel they cannot be openly critical. This isn't East Berlin before the wall fell. Nor are we children to unquestioningly put our trust in a self-appointed group, several of whom rarely seem to contribute anything anymore other than the odd snide or dismissive remark.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate and respect many of the mods - or what of them I know - but I feel there is a bigger principle at stake.

I much prefer that nasty things be said to my face than behind my back.
    Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post
    This basic issue of back biting is worth addressing. It does have implications directly for the person who is targeted whether it happens in a teacher's lounge, a forum, or behind a friend's back. It nurtures a group think attitude to reject certain members of that society. It enhances the prejudices that are naturally within that group. Using the school teacher example, my mother is a retired kindergarten teacher and the gossip and unequal treatment of the children discussed behind their backs she witnessed was also expressed in the way their education was delivered and how playground disputes were overlooked or attended to. By back biting someone, the people involved give each other implicit permission to mistreat that person, even if in subtler ways to their face. Also, to be certain, if you encounter someone backbiting someone else, they will likely do it to you as well even if you are in the accepted group at that moment. This is at least the case when backbiting is done with people who are both involved in the life of the person being attacked. It is natural, prevalent human behavior and all that, but that doesn't make it benign.

I do consider social etiquette to be a strong component of leadership. The way a person communicates about people with a trusted, intimate confidant and professional peers is different. For example, as a teacher it would be unethical for me to express dislike for a student to anyone also dealing with that student because of the power I have in that context. Such feelings would be controlled inside the teacher's head because they are irrelevant to the function of that role. Discussing problems that need resolution w/o any reference to personal feeling is the appropriate, efficient way of addressing student concerns. What are mods? Intimate confidants or professional peers? There is a small level of power involved which suggests some impact on style of communication, but it isn't as significant as in a professional setting. It has a small town management feel to it to some extent. It is a confusing, indistinct setting which has produced this unfortunate event.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xander
    As far as I understand it now unless people ignore this thread or have contradictory evidence then why would anyone trust the mods/admins?

I realise the whole "this forum is a privilage" jive but realistically and contrarily so too is having posters a privilage. Ergo some form of a relationship must be maintained. If it seems like there is a group from here who team together to whinge and have it supported by the forums structure then that's akin to having the forum itself side against you.
    Quote Originally Posted by BryNTP View Post
    Who watches the watchmen? Shouldn't the modbox follow the same rules as the general forum? Most of the discussion I see center around the moderators thinking it was private, not that this will not happen again.

MBTI Central General Rules of Conduct

Be tolerant and respectful of others on the forum.
    This imbroglio does demonstrate a conflict of interest and an abuse of power.

It is plain MBTIc does not experience cognitive dissonance because it has no intellectual integrity.

And when intellectual integrity is abandoned, conflicts of interest and abuses of power occur.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Be tolerant and respectful of others on the forum.
    I agree.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by bluemonday View Post
    Nor are we children to unquestioningly put our trust in a self-appointed group, several of whom rarely seem to contribute anything anymore other than the odd snide or dismissive remark.
    Can I delete that dupe that you created after you said you were leaving?
    "The only time I'm wrong is when I'm questioning myself."
    Haight

MBTI
    IS??
    Socionics
    InFj

It is all listed in the FAQ to be plainly read, As are the posts that we make where we should (presumambly) exercise our judgement. Any thoughts can be expressed that do not conflict with forum policy and there is a lot of leeway here... but perhaps not enough for some. Fortunately, the internet provides ample opportunity for those who need to, to find (or create at their own expense) forums with less draconian strictures where their insights can be more freely shared.

If Haight and File Cabinet chose to own a "bricks and mortar" social club where people actually physically interacted they would presumably have maintenece costs and staff to make sure that this gathering space was made accessible and a desirable meeting place.

This reminds me of the obnoxious drunk at a local pub, who insults others and starts fights and then is shocked when they are ejected. Just because the door is open and the welcome sign out does not mean that any behaviour is tolerable. But there are lots of different pubs for lots of different types.
    Patriotism is the last refuge to which a scoundrel clings...Steal a little and they throw you in jail, steal a lot and they make you a king

MBTI
    INFP

I thought you weren't invested in this forum anymore, Blue. Here's another example of the deceptive at worst, confusing at best, messages that you give to some people.

I've asked you not to contact me again and I appreciate you respecting that. But since you are still here talking with us I'll add my two cents worth. That's that I also spotted your dupe when "she" arrived.

You have the right to fool with people as much as you choose. But when it interfers with friends of mine or me it irritates me.

As I said before, when you were rude to me, you called my attention, otherwise I probably wouldn't have even noticed the games you were playing. Having caught my attention, I watched, felt offended and spoke.

We'll see how long you follow through with your stated intention to take a back seat. This looks like one more bid for controversial attention to me.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Wow, Anja. You're amazing. How did you know about the dupe before it even made any posts?
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    INTj

Shhh! That was funny.
    "The only time I'm wrong is when I'm questioning myself."
    Haight

MBTI
    InTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp
    Socionics
    INTj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by bluemonday View Post
    buncha text
    You're basically chillin' in Haight & fc's virtual living room. They (and their loyal helpers) are happy to have you here as their guest, but please bear some manners and respect!
    intp | type 9w1 sp/sx/so

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Wow, Anja. You're amazing. How did you know about the dupe before it even made any posts?
    Quote Originally Posted by Haight View Post
    Shhh! That was funny.
    Ti (43); Ne (41.8); Te (33.7); Fi (30.5); Ni (27.5); Se (24.7); Si (21.5); Fe (17.3)
    The More You Know the Less You Need. - Aboriginal Saying