User Tag List

First 23313233343543 Last

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    Could you just clarify?

Is it that a moderator can make bad comments, but should not use an insecure place?
    Or is that a moderator should not make bad comments?

(because your last two posts inferred both)
    A moderator acting in offical moderator business or in moderator areas as in the moderator forums, should be above reproach.

When a mod is using their PM box to send private PM then the same standards that apply to any other member should apply to them.

Well, that is one opinion. If you look through the thread, you'll see that people have a slightly different take.

-Jeffster, amongst others, thinks it is irrelevant where it happened and that bad mouthing was the problem.
    -Others thing it's ok to talk crap, but not to breach the privacy.
    -Others that it might be ok to talk crap, but only if it is not a madmin doing it (it's a breach of trust, whether by PM or not for a madmin)
    -Others that it's the specific issue of bad mouthing in a madmin forum is a breach of trust duties
    -Others (like yourself?) that it's just bad administration - it's the fact that it should be obvious it will get out because it's so easy to cut and paste from a forum (although why that is much different from shared PMs I am not so sure).

What's the lesson here? Bugger me if I know! Perhaps it's that herding cats might be easier
    Not only are you sanguine, Geoff, but you have the temperament to be a good chairman.

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    A moderator acting in offical moderator business or in moderator areas as in the moderator forums, should be above reproach.

When a mod is using their PM box to send private PM then the same standards that apply to any other member should apply to them.
    So, the problem in your eyes is that when acting "professionally" a moderator should not make comments that do not relate directly to the moderating activity? Regardless of medium?

Apologies for labouring the point, but there is a lot of.. well.. cuff remarks on this thread (not yours) and I'd really just like to understand where the problem lies (I ask this innocently, not as a leading question)

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Well, that is one opinion. If you look through the thread, you'll see that people have a slightly different take.

-Jeffster, amongst others, thinks it is irrelevant where it happened and that bad mouthing was the problem.
    -Others thing it's ok to talk crap, but not to breach the privacy.
    -Others that it might be ok to talk crap, but only if it is not a madmin doing it (it's a breach of trust, whether by PM or not for a madmin)
    -Others that it's the specific issue of bad mouthing in a madmin forum is a breach of trust duties
    -Others (like yourself?) that it's just bad administration - it's the fact that it should be obvious it will get out because it's so easy to cut and paste from a forum (although why that is much different from shared PMs I am not so sure).

What's the lesson here? Bugger me if I know! Perhaps it's that herding cats might be easier
    I have another perspective. Zergling should have gotten the axe a long time ago. He should have never had the opportunity. How many times did I call him out, publicly? I don't care about blame. Actually, I don't really care about this issue at all. Drama is interesting, as long as you're on the outside looking in.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    I apologize for having integrity...
    That's exactly the sort of exclusive attitude I'm talking about, and I thank you for making my point for me.

Because frankly you and I don't know each other, but you're comfortable making broad assessments of people without a long continuum of data to go with -- something I know I'm not comfortable with.

What got to me, and others, even if they don't say so publicly, was, and is, the continued "It wasn't that bad!" misdirection.
    I can see why you might say that, and I can also understand why it would bother you, but it's not quite what's going on -- and yet you seem inclined to gloss over nuance and context and situation to view things from an angle that allows you to promote yourself and speak from a position of moral authority you haven't earned on this forum as of yet.

I'll discuss this more in PM with you, if you want.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Reigning Bologna Princess Rajah's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    I made that comment because of the hypocrisy I hear being voiced by some of the people who don't like the fact that madmins didn't have shining and gleaming comments to say about some members here. There is some commentary in the Gauntlet threads where other members have less than stellar comments about other members and some of those same people reproaching madmin behavior. And you're right, that was the allusion I was making. For me this is about breach of privacy, not the content or lack of niceness of the comments made by madmins.
    I don't care why you made the comment. What I do care about is that you made it in the first place. You have no business commenting on the specifics or generalities of what was said in a subforum you specifically called private. Simply alluding to the character of the discussion in the subforum was inappropriate. The bolded comment is another example of you doing this.

Whether or not people who are condemning your behavior are actually hypocritical is irrelevant to me. What we're talking about it your discussions in the modbox and resultant fallout from those discussions being made public. Period.

FWIW, I don't care what you talk about in the modbox, and I think it should never have been made public in the first place. Just like I think the Gauntlet discussions are also private.

And, Victor, there is quite a body of research on privacy on the internet. In fact, it's the subject of my dissertation research. Simply throwing your hands up and saying "privacy doesn't exist" is a bit of an oversimplification.

I... suppose. Yeah!

Reigning Bologna Princess Rajah's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    They're mods, not God.

I... suppose. Yeah!

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    That's exactly the sort of exclusive attitude I'm talking about, and I thank you for making my point for me.
    Are you saying righteous indignation doesn't do it for you?

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Exclusive? I don't remember asking anyone else if they had integrity. I would assume a few of us do.
    Because frankly you and I don't know each other, but you're comfortable making broad assessments of people without a long continuum of data to go with -- something I know I'm not comfortable with.
    We all have our comfort zones and areas of confidence.
    I can see why you might say that, and I can also understand why it would bother you, but it's not quite what's going on
    I don't even want to talk about what's going on. This isn't my battle. But when I happen to notice BS, I'd rather "crusade for truth and justice in the world" by making a short rational argument than pretend it didn't happen. This defines the word integrity--Sticking to principles despite being harassed for it.
    and yet you seem inclined to gloss over nuance and context and situation to view things from an angle that allows you to promote yourself and speak from a position of moral authority you haven't earned on this forum as of yet.
    "Earning moral authority" is an irrational concept. We have what we have, and we make judgments based on it, exactly as you're doing right now, so you might let me.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    ...But when I happen to notice BS, I'd rather "crusade for truth and justice in the world" by making a short rational argument than pretend it didn't happen. This defines the word integrity--Sticking to principles despite being harassed for it.
    I don't disagree with the broad concept.

I usually find it more responsible to:
    (1) assume I don't know all the information
    (2) investigate
    (3) give people the benefit of a doubt.

That's why I've waited until now to really comment on your approach. I was giving you the benefit of a doubt. But I came to the conclusion you weren't interested in following that procedure.

Take it for what it's worth. I've said my piece on it. If you feel compelled to keep "fighting the good fight" with your particular idiom, go for it. I think you'd be more effective if you'd approach things differently, however.

"Earning moral authority" is an irrational concept. We have what we have, and we make judgments based on it, exactly as you're doing right now, so you might let me.
    See above.

You haven't been here a member very long.

To me, it takes a lot of audacity to insert yourself in an adversarial role in a conflict where you don't know context. But apparently you're fine with that.

So fine, go for it.
    And the cards will fall wherever they'll fall.

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Are you saying righteous indignation doesn't do it for you?
    Only if it's from you, hon. (hubba hubba)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft