User Tag List

First 22303132333442 Last

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    IT IS not the same, gauntlet and modbox. I only feel like I should point this out because as far as I can tell^ I'm the only one who noticed. It is comparing the mayor's office to a bowling club. That is all.
    I agree, they aren't the same thing. I would support the mayor's rights to be rude about his constituents in private, by the way.

The modbox and gauntlet threads are only the "same thing" if a member says that noone anywhere should be allowed to make private comments that are disparaging in nature. In that case they are both in the set "anywhere".

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Rajah View Post
    I don't think this is an appropriate comment. The issue isn't Gauntlet threads - what the people there discussed is irrelevant to the present conversation about your modbox discussions being disseminated to people on this board. One of the issues we're talking about is how it feels to have that trust breached - your private comments being made public. Your allusion to the Gauntlet threads, period, threatens to breach privacy in the same way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    Agreed. Why would you want to do the same thing that was done to you, bringing people into the fray that could care less about this whole affair?
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    Agreed. The gauntlet threads are private and I have no means of reading them (even as a moderator) so I speak here hypothetically (and thus can not be breaching a confidence!)
    I think her comment was just to jolt people out to get a larger perspective, not to actually bring those threads to light publicly when it was decided long ago that they would never see the light of day. I thought that was rather implicit in the context of the whole thing.

IT IS not the same, gauntlet and modbox. I only feel like I should point this out because as far as I can tell^ I'm the only one who noticed. It is comparing the mayor's office to a bowling club. That is all.
    I think a lot of people are noticing your points, Jack. But I know the implicit "moral high ground" stance is putting me off, and maybe others as well. There have been those who were genuinely hurt/concerned and approached things without sticking themselves up on a pedestal. But regardless of your content, a lot of your attitude, as Haight pointed out early in this thread, seem instead to just want to stir the pot and stoke the flames and set yourself up as some bastion of virtue. Right or wrong, I know I don't want to bother with that.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Huh, people used the gauntlet threads to gossip? People suck!

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Trinity View Post
    Huh, people used the gauntlet threads to gossip? People suck!
    Eh. I don't want you to think that the "gossip" was more than what it was. Admins moderated all of the threads and made sure that there was no forum gossip occuring. However, I can only speak for my team (the awesome blue team), but there was discussion of other members in the context of each challenge.

For instance, when we were making our team's rap, we brought up possible topics to incorporate into it, which included some popular quirks that other members have. Some of our ideas were not "nice" to be honest. Most of those ones didn't make it into the rap.

I would imagine that this is true for a lot of teams. I'm confident that the admins wouldn't let a team outright gossip about forum members, which is why the secret forums were moderated in the first place.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    as Haight pointed out early in this thread, seem instead to just want to stir the pot and stoke the flames and set yourself up as some bastion of virtue.
    I apologize for having integrity. What got to me, and others, even if they don't say so publicly, was, and is, the continued "It wasn't that bad!" misdirection. I wouldn't be saying anything if everyone would just shut up about it.

heart on fire

No, you aren't the only one who noticed this.

You are exactly right.

What got to me, and others, even if they don't say so publicly, was, and is, the continued "It wasn't that bad!" misdirection. I wouldn't be saying anything if everyone would just shut up about it.
    Agree again.

I agree, they aren't the same thing. I would support the mayor's rights to be rude about his constituents in private, by the way.
    That'd be the same as PM or email or AIM, not moderator's forum, at least that is what seems logical to me.

There's been a lot of deflecting. The statement is made over and over "Everyone is not going to like everyone and everyone gossips and badmouths"

I don't think the issue is *what* was talked about so much as *where* ... being done in a moderator forum and so easily cut and paste as a representation of what the mods allow in their forum.

If it had been some private PM between two mods that got into the wrong hands, it would not be the same type of situation. That's just the way it seems.

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    There's been a lot of deflecting. The statement is made over and over "Everyone is not going to like everyone and everyone gossips and badmouths"

I don't think the issue is *what* was talked about so much as *where* ... being done in a moderator forum and so easily cut and paste as a representation of what the mods allow in their forum.

If it had been some private PM between two mods that got into the wrong hands, it would not be the same type of situation. That's just the way it seems.
    Well, that is one opinion. If you look through the thread, you'll see that people have a slightly different take.

-Jeffster, amongst others, thinks it is irrelevant where it happened and that bad mouthing was the problem.
    -Others thing it's ok to talk crap, but not to breach the privacy.
    -Others that it might be ok to talk crap, but only if it is not a madmin doing it (it's a breach of trust, whether by PM or not for a madmin)
    -Others that it's the specific issue of bad mouthing in a madmin forum is a breach of trust duties
    -Others (like yourself?) that it's just bad administration - it's the fact that it should be obvious it will get out because it's so easy to cut and paste from a forum (although why that is much different from shared PMs I am not so sure).

What's the lesson here? Bugger me if I know! Perhaps it's that herding cats might be easier

heart on fire

-Others that it's the specific issue of bad mouthing in a madmin forum is a breach of trust duties
    -Others (like yourself?) that it's just bad administration - it's the fact that it should be obvious it will get out because it's so easy to cut and paste from a forum (although why that is much different from shared PMs I am not so sure).
    It's a breech of trust duties most of all.

PM's done as "member" to "member" as private chat not mod to mod as in the mod forum would be different. The person wouldn't be in their moderator "hat" so to speak.

In the mod forum, mods are really representing the forum and the conduct there is a reflection of the forum leadership attitudes and what they will and will not allow.

A moderator sending PM privately do not have this same connotation, unless they are PMing under the guise of their moderator duties when the same rules of conduct would apply as for the mod forum.

That's just my view of it.

Enneagram
    1w2

Quote Originally Posted by Rajah View Post
    I don't think this is an appropriate comment. The issue isn't Gauntlet threads - what the people there discussed is irrelevant to the present conversation about your modbox discussions being disseminated to people on this board. One of the issues we're talking about is how it feels to have that trust breached - your private comments being made public. Your allusion to the Gauntlet threads, period, threatens to breach privacy in the same way.
    I made that comment because of the hypocrisy I hear being voiced by some of the people who don't like the fact that madmins didn't have shining and gleaming comments to say about some members here. There is some commentary in the Gauntlet threads where other members have less than stellar comments about other members and some of those same people reproaching madmin behavior. And you're right, that was the allusion I was making. For me this is about breach of privacy, not the content or lack of niceness of the comments made by madmins.
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    It's a breech of trust duties most of all.

PM's done as "member" to "member" as private chat not mod to mod as in the mod forum would be different. The person wouldn't be in their moderator "hat" so to speak.

In the mod forum, mods are really representing the forum and the conduct there is a reflection of the forum leadership attitudes and what they will and will not allow.

A moderator sending PM privately do not have this same connotation, unless they are PMing under the guise of their moderator duties when the same rules of conduct would apply as for the mod forum.

That's just my view of it.
    Could you just clarify?

Is it that a moderator can make bad comments, but should not use an insecure place?
    Or is that a moderator should not make bad comments?

(because your last two posts inferred both)