User Tag List

First 15232425262735 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    Good post, thank you. I quite agree (and my own personal steam train is a quiet little thing, rarely even receiving a portion of coal).
    It's true, you are remarkably sanguine.

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

Oh my - I wonder - Did you know this decision was going to cause so much fuss?
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by Little Linguist View Post
    Oh my - I wonder - Did you know this decision was going to cause so much fuss?
    What decision? The decision of Zergling's to take private madmin conversations, edit them to make them look as bad as he could and send them to as many people as he could to stir up trouble? If so, it probably is what he intended...

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    Indignation? MOI? Are you serious??
    Me? Serious?

I've never tried smoking upside down but I'll give it a shot. Can I bring the proper stuff or do you insist on such apparatus? Personally I prefer the little white sticks or the larger tan variety.
    To be honest, I didn't even know what a hookah was, except it sounded positively scandalous.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    GONE

Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    Petty little me, I'm all about making the Gauntlet threads public for those who are poo-pooing about The Moral High Ground on this issue.
    I wanna read!

I wanna read!

I wanna read!

'Cause I'm nosy.

At least I'm honest about it. :halo:

Wait, but that would mean everyone can read all the smack I was talking about them (sorry MacGuffin...I swear I love bacon vodka).

Nevermind.

More seriously though, the 1 'social phenomena fact' that that's been brought up and I agree with is that group-think attitudes tend to trickle down to how people are treated publicly.

I've definitely felt this (negatively) in school and been on both sides in work and social settings.

Behind closed doors it's seems safe to form consensus opinions of people and vent -- whether it's a student/teacher dynamic, mentor/peer, coworkers/coworker, what have you as long as you keep it 'professional' in the open.

But it's true, those biases can play out in a real way on the floor and in the open. Sometimes to the point where it tips over to becoming overt hostility or disrespect. It's a very ugly thing and I'm sure most people have seen this happen.

So that would be my only caution in all this.

Otherwise, I didn't get any PM from Zergling and I haven't seen first or second-hand accounts of mods being jerks (other than Edahn, but he openly admits to it) so I'll sit out now and watch people work it out.

I think it's a positive thing to let people process 'events' whether online or RL and work out dynamics.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

I have not been privy to any of the modbox conversation that was leaked, so I'll admit I'm not entirely 100% in the know here.

That said, the sturm un drang here is nuts. It seems to me that certain things are obvious and should not be surprising:

1. People bitch about other people sometimes.
    2. When two or more people are gathered who share a job, POV, or position in common, they will REALLY bitch about other people.
    3. People are more likely to bitch about other people in a negative way when anonymity is expected.

This is all human nature. Should we try to avoid it? Sure. But to an extent, it's no more morally repellent than having blue eyes or being left handed. It's just the way people are. If anyone means to suggest that they don't engage in the three activities above, I think they're sorely mistaken.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    More seriously though, the 1 'social phenomena fact' that that's been brought up and I agree with is that group-think attitudes tend to trickle down to how people are treated publicly.

I've definitely felt this (negatively) in school and been on both sides in work and social settings.

Behind closed doors it's seems safe to form consensus opinions of people and vent -- whether it's a student/teacher dynamic, mentor/peer, coworkers/coworker, what have you as long as you keep it 'professional' in the open.
    Well, on the groupthink side.. Unsurprisingly we (the Madmin "we") disagree with each other quite a bit, so there isnt much group think to trickle anywhere. We work stuff out with healthy debate, and if necessary a vote. So, just to labour the point.. we don't gang up as a group, or make unfair decisions, or even to be honest agree with each other most of the time. We talk stuff through and come with a consensus.

The unpleasant remarks culled from a large mass of dull madmin stuff did not come from any threads about decisions. The users concerned will, I am sure they agree, have been treated professionally and with respect in terms of the moderating of their activities!

Oh, and I'll try the bacon vodka you turned down...

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Me? Serious?
    F'yeah. Seriously.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    To be honest, I didn't even know what a hookah was, except it sounded positively scandalous.
    Try it when your mate says "This guy at work would like to come round. He did say though he'd like to bring his hookah with him, is that okay". Me being naive to such things at first heard "his hooker"!!!

:eek:

Of course being british I try and approach the subject calmly and politely, trying not to offend or complicate by saying no but still leaving undeniable rules in place.

Boy did I feel silly
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    Well, on the groupthink side.. Unsurprisingly we (the Madmin "we") disagree with each other quite a bit, so there isnt much group think to trickle anywhere. We work stuff out with healthy debate, and if necessary a vote. So, just to labour the point.. we don't gang up as a group, or make unfair decisions, or even to be honest agree with each other most of the time. We talk stuff through and come with a consensus.
    That's the problem with belonging to a group. You're always going to be judged by the outline you present. That outline is defined by the extremities.

A balanced person will compensate for such things but it's a hard task to ask for such all the time.

Besides, admit it guys, you love the controversy.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿ digesthisickness's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    As I said in response to Protean, I much prefer to get my nose blunted than to have the suspicion that those I consider friends are actually humouring me or worse. I'm fairly resistant to being unpopular but that kind of stuff could really upset people and degenerate into pointless threads masquerading as anything other than their true purpose of being an over excited vent for emotional responses perhaps best left for the screaming abdabs room.
    i always assumed that a large part of being a human was liking some people more than others and that a large part of being a mod/admin was humoring them about the degrees.

so, none of this bothers me at all.
    ✻ღϠ₡ღ✻
    (¯`✻´¯)
    `*.¸.*'ღϠ₡ღஇڿڰۣ
    •.¸¸. Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒჱܓ. இڿڰۣ.¸¸.இڿڰۣ´¯`·.─♥

Cerebral Artery
    http://www.facebook.com/CerebralArtery