User Tag List

First 5131415161725 Last

Reigning Bologna Princess Rajah's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    The members are open and accountable - all our posts are made in public and can be criticised. So why not the moderators?

A republic comes from the latin, res publica, meaning public things. That is, our business is conducted in public so it can be accountable.

So perhaps we might think of ourselves as the Republic of MBTIc.
    I think that's perfectly reasonable. Except the people posting in the box had an expectation their posts would remain (semi)private.

I'm all for making the modbox transparent from now on out.

I... suppose. Yeah!

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram

Also, I'm a little disappointed I wasn't PMd something. I mean, I'm not exactly superactive on this forum, but I know someone has said nasty shit about me.

Damn you, Zergling.

I... suppose. Yeah!

Quote Originally Posted by Rajah View Post
    Also, I'm a little disappointed I wasn't PMd something. I mean, I'm not exactly superactive on this forum, but I know someone has said nasty shit about me.

Damn you, Zergling.
    I much prefer that nasty things be said to my face than behind my back.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram

I much prefer that nasty things be said to my face than behind my back.
    Well, that's kind of what I was getting at.

I... suppose. Yeah!

Default The Ides of March

Well, that's kind of what I was getting at.
    Well mate, Julius Caesar, who gave me the motto beneath my name, "Veni, Vidi, Vici", meaning, I came, I saw, I conquered, also gave me my name, "Victor", meaning conqueror, from the latin, "Vici", meaning, I conquer.

But note, Caesar banished the Roman Republic and was stabbed in the back.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram

Well mate, Julius Caesar, who gave me the motto beneath my name, "Veni, Vidi, Vici", meaning, I came, I saw, I conquered, also gave me my name, "Victor", meaning conqueror, from the latin, "Vici", meaning, I conquer.

But note, Caesar banished the Roman Republic and was stabbed in the back.
    Interesting. Well mate, Latin also has the phrase, "Extra territorium jus dicenti impune non paretur," meaning "He who administers justice outside of his territory is disobeyed with impunity." Chew on that for a while.

I... suppose. Yeah!

Interesting. Well mate, Latin also has the phrase, "Extra territorium jus dicenti impune non paretur," meaning "He who administers justice outside of his territory is disobeyed with impunity." Chew on that for a while.
    Well, my dear old mate, I have chewed but so far I haven't swollowed. Perhaps I am don't understanding your point.

But is it is nice to have latin quoted at me.

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by Mempy View Post
    As for the names of the rep givers being made visible, I think that that incident was different from this. I was on the side of the people who said that if members hadn't wanted the receivers of their rep comments to know that it was them giving the opinion, they shouldn't have given it at all.

So that incident was different from this one because at the time it suited your personal politics to voice that opinion and this time it suits to give the opposite opinion? That's what I am getting from what you've just said.

One difference between the rep system being made onymous and this situation is that with the rep system, the receiver of the criticism received it directly from the critic, and therefore the critic controlled how the criticism was delivered and explained. In that case, if you're going to tear someone a new one, take responsibility for their response. If you're going to try to constructively criticize someone, I think you need to leave a return address so that they can respond, discuss, ask questions, etc. I don't think you can make too much headway just by leaving a 100-character or whatever comment with no return address.

You might think they need to give a return address and that's interesting perspective but the fact remains they had an expectation that it would remain anonymous at the time they posted.

Your personal feeling about whether or not they should have had that assurance to begin with doesn't factor in, the only thing that matters is that they had an expectation of anonymity at the time they posted that was later compromised.

I think that in the context of the rep system, giving a criticism to someone but absolutely vehemently not wanting them to know it was you is a poor, poor way of handling the process of criticism. Constructive criticism most often leaves a pathway for the criticized person to respond, explain, ask questions, etc. Leaving someone a criticism with no return address just seems like an incomplete, non-constructive way of handling it.

Your personal feelings about this doesn't change the fact that they had an expectation that their comments were anonymous at the time they posted them.

Besides, if everybody could leave criticisms without their names attached to them, I can guarantee it would be abused by people looking to be mean-spirited, or just people who weren't willing to really think the comment over before sending it. "If there are no consequences, I can afford to be a little tough on them. They'll never know it was me, so I'll never have to deal with their response, so I don't really have to be careful." It just seems like a lack of taking responsibility for how you chose to give the criticism.

The potential for abuse doesn't change the fact that they had an expectation that their comments would remain anonymous. You can argue that the expectation for anonymity should never have existed, but you can't argue that it's right/fair to take it away retroactively..well at least one cannot reasonably argue this.

Secondly, there IS a HUGE difference between blowing off steam about someone and constructive criticism. If someone is really your friend and you really appreciate them overall, you probably aren't going to have too much negativity toward them and you're probably not going to be hard on them. But what about someone you don't really like much? That's when the differences are most stark.

The difference in the type of content doesn't change the basic fact that people responding in the rep system as it was had an expectation of remaining anonymous, just as the people in the modbox believed their comments would remain a private affair between only moderators. The situation is very, very similar.

Oberon

Well, all I can say is, I hope I wasn't forgotten in all this mess. Hopefully someone found something rude to say about me, or I haven't been trying hard enough!

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    Well, all I can say is, I hope I wasn't forgotten in all this mess. Hopefully someone found something rude to say about me, or I haven't been trying hard enough!

Ya know, I feel the same way - there is no such thing as bad publicity.