First 2101112131422 Last

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

I don't really see why the modbox, in principle, shouldn't be view-only for the entire forum.

Personally, I am not in the least bit surprised that gossip goes on in there, but I am surprised that a number of people here are surprised.

EDIT: Making the modbox view-only would also make the blue team's Gauntlet prize much more rewarding!

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

If everyone knew what everyone said about everyone, no one would have any friends. That's just a fact of life. And I didn't make that up. Dumas said it.
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by PinkPiranha View Post
    If everyone knew what everyone said about everyone, no one would have any friends. That's just a fact of life. And I didn't make that up. Dumas said it.
    Well, if people are talking behind your back, they're not really your friend, now are they? (There's a reason the name Dumas almost sounds like "dumb ass.")

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by PinkPiranha View Post

Actually, my belief was that if people were really friends, then:

A: The speaker would have good intentions with anything they say about their friend, even if it is critical.
    B: The listener would be understanding enough, and value the friendship enough, to not be a big baby about it.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

As for the names of the rep givers being made visible, I think that that incident was different from this. I was on the side of the people who said that if members hadn't wanted the receivers of their rep comments to know that it was them giving the opinion, they shouldn't have given it at all.

One difference between the rep system being made nonymous and this situation is that with the rep system, the receiver of the criticism received it directly from the critic, and therefore the critic controlled how the criticism was delivered and explained. In that case, if you're going to tear someone a new one, take responsibility for their response. If you're going to try to constructively criticize someone, I think you need to leave a return address so that they can respond, discuss, ask questions, etc. I don't think you can make too much headway just by leaving a 100-character or whatever comment with no return address.

I think that in the context of the rep system, giving a criticism to someone but absolutely vehemently not wanting them to know it was you is a poor, poor way of handling the process of criticism. Constructive criticism most often leaves a pathway for the criticized person to respond, explain, ask questions, etc. Leaving someone a criticism with no return address just seems like an incomplete, non-constructive way of handling it. Besides, if everybody could leave criticisms without their names attached to them, I can guarantee it would be abused by people looking to be mean-spirited, or just people who weren't willing to really think the comment over before sending it. "If there are no consequences, I can afford to be a little tough on them. They'll never know it was me, so I'll never have to deal with their response, so I don't really have to be careful." It just seems like a lack of taking responsibility for how you choose to give a criticism. You don't have to take responsibility for your lack of tact or your lack of constructiveness with anonymous criticisms, AND the person can't have an open discussion with you if you leave no return address.

Secondly, there IS a HUGE difference between blowing off steam about someone and constructive criticism.

In this case, the comments were obviously not intended to be heard, and therefore I don't see it as a lack of responsibility. I don't begrudge anyone their negative opinions of people or their "gossip" or their blowing off of steam. I think in this case people are trying to take things out of the context they were in and put them into another context and expect them to serve the same purpose. Blowing off steam about people ain't going to be constructive, and when you're trying to be constructive you're not going to do it like you're blowing off steam.
    Last edited by Mempy; 08-25-2008 at 09:08 AM. Reason: Edited for wording and additions.
    They're running just like you
    For you, and I, wooo
    So people, people, need some good ol' love

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Boy am I awesome.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    I don't really see why the modbox, in principle, shouldn't be view-only for the entire forum.
    Because, in theory, that is where discussions of bannings/warnings and such go on. Normally, that isn't public material for the forum. Obviously, that is up to the forum admins, but I've never seen any forum make the mod/admin forum public intentionally.
    I-95%, S-84%, T-89%, P-84%

MBTI
    ESFJ

I do wish that someone would talk about me behind my back. In fact, if there is not already, can someone create a thread slandering me in the modbox? That would make me feel important, and I like that.
    A criticism that can be brought against everything ought not to be brought against anything.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by reason View Post
    I do wish that someone would talk about me behind my back. In fact, if there is not already, can someone create a thread slandering me in the modbox? That would make me feel important, and I like that.
    We have a 13 page thread devoted to logical fallacies you commit. Everyone spots them and adds them, even Geoff.

Mud and rain and chaos... TickTock's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3

Quote Originally Posted by reason View Post
    no, sorry. but how about a stalker? the first day is free.