First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGeek View Post
    Not sure if the link was supposed to be fixed with the update, but it still gives an error.
    The PHP upgrade is still not completed yet. They tell me 30 minutes. Crossing fingers it will start working when that's done and hoping no other problems will occur.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Not sure if the link was supposed to be fixed with the update, but it still gives an error.
    It works now . I haven't figured out how to insert videos yet, but the link from the home page works.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

Another suggestion: In writing the articles, paraphrase and summarize recognized 'authorities' instead of composing your own theories. The latter is bound to lead to exceedingly annoying and time-consuming debates. The former, done well, would serve, you know, to create an encyclopedia.

Also, no videos made by self-appointed experts from YouTube, please.
    Likes Cellmold, Z Buck McFate liked this post

your resident asshole

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    Another suggestion: In writing the articles, paraphrase and summarize recognized 'authorities' instead of composing your own theories. The latter is bound to lead to exceedingly annoying and time-consuming debates. The former, done well, would serve, you know, to create an encyclopedia.

So how do we decide what authorities are acceptable? I get that it's important to not use random websites and YouTube videos, but there are a lot of published texts out there.

So how do we decide what authorities are acceptable? I get that it's important to not use random websites and YouTube videos, but there are a lot of published texts out there.
    I guess a good rule of thumb would be to accept anything published in text-book form, and, in cases where there is doubt about the quality or reliability of the text, to have a discussion and perhaps even a poll about it.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Doesn't this risk copyright problems?

I would at least expect that if references are made then links to their own stuff should also be given so we're not seen as stealing their potential audience/work but rather propagating their material to attract a potentially larger audience.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    Doesn't this risk copyright problems?

I would at least expect that if references are made then links to their own stuff should also be given so we're not seen as stealing their potential audience/work but rather propagating their material to attract a potentially larger audience.
    Paraphrases and summaries, to my knowledge, do not cause copyright infringement. And in a good wiki, I expect there to be references to the material referenced...

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Paraphrases and summaries, to my knowledge, do not cause copyright infringement. And in a good wiki, I expect there to be references to the material referenced...
    Agreed. Done well it would work wonders. We just need to establish what "good" looks like first. I figure that clarity at the start will save on heartache later.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

can't handcuff the wind Z Buck McFate's Avatar
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

I think traditionally (normally) what makes a authority 'acceptable' is having a majority concede a person tends to reliably put forth ideas/concepts that ring 'objectively' true: the wider and more diverse that audience is (who concedes), the more 'acceptable' the authority.

I almost want to argue that whether an authority is 'acceptable' doesn't matter though*- just so long as the author of the theory is always attached (and perhaps even the author of the summary of that author- since summaries/paraphrases often come with biases of their own). It might actually be interesting to have summarized versions of the 'out there' theories all in one place. But I do agree that it's important to list the source of any theory, lest it sound like typo c is trying to put forth it's own doctrine. (While I do think there are many people here who do try to put forth their own doctrine as 'objective truth'- for the most part, I think of typo c as a place to come and compare various ideas/experiences in attempt to slowly refine my own ongoing understanding of others.)

*eta: Although actually, I can see how posting someone's theory at the wiki page is akin to giving it a 'typo c stamp of approval'- so it might be worthwhile to either be scrupulous or add some disclaimer to the wiki site that posting a summary does not necessarily mean anyone at typo c agrees with the theory.
    Reality is a collective hunch. -Lily Tomlin

5w4 sx/sp Johari / Nohari

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

We could also make a distinction between people that are published and/or work directly in the field and something like a community contribution. Published sources near the top, community expansion near the bottom of an article.