User Tag List

First 56789 Last

Default Tolerant and Well Run

It is always difficult to say things others don't want to hear; and it is even more difficult to exercise our free speech and our right to offend; and of course no one likes to be criticised.

Taking these into account our moderators do an excellent job of keeping order.

The moderators have succeeded in creating a tolerant and well run site. And they have done this consistently for a very long time.

So do you think the moderators are more than we deserve? Or do you think the moderators are just what we deserve?

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    It is always difficult to say things others don't want to hear; and it is even more difficult to exercise our free speech and our right to offend; and of course no one likes to be criticised.

Taking these into account our moderators do an excellent job of keeping order.

The moderators have succeeded in creating a tolerant and well run site. And they have done this consistently for a very long time.
    That was so sweet! You have become the warm and fuzziest member! I like them too; they have a good sense of humor!

Quote Originally Posted by BadOctopus View Post
    I prefer to think I'm safe from permabans on the basis that I am not a troll, a stalker, or a raving lunatic.
    That probably makes you safe from permabans, but not from infractions and tempbans, because the moderators decide what your intentions are for posting the things you post and, consequently, whether you are a troll, a stalker, or a raving lunatic.

Quote Originally Posted by captain curmudgeon View Post
    In addition to the principle, we've already decided to let someone back who took pictures of members without their approval and then distributed them and hinted they were using said pictures to pose as another forum member on a dating website. Seems like one of the better instances for bending the rules.
    Wow. If this is true, I sure as hell want to know the reasons for revoking the ban, and what kind of offense would actually make the ban permanent.
    I FEEL ALRIGHT

Quote Originally Posted by Hive View Post
    Wow. If this is true, I sure as hell want to know the reasoning for revoking the ban, and what kind of offense would actually make the ban permanent.
    Ignorance of the facts, I bet.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    Highlander framed the thread topic in the OP. Note the thread title. If you wish to discuss some other aspect of forum moderation, please start a new feedback thread, or PM a mod.
    I wasnt doing that. That was my point. It was suggested I was doing that and that suggestion was mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by Hive View Post
    Wow. If this is true, I sure as hell want to know the reasons for revoking the ban, and what kind of offense would actually make the ban permanent.
    We could follow the Marines who leave no one behind.

Sure, it sheer romance, but no one is being shot or blown up here, so if it is good enough for the Marines, it is good enough for us.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    It has to do with quantity and severity. Actions of extreme severity, e.g. credible threats of violence to anyone, can result in an immediate permaban. Actions of lesser severity can result in permaban if the member makes no attempt to adjust his/her behavior despite repeated infractions and progressively longer tempbans. We are trying to reduce the time constant of this process and make it less drawn out while still giving members plenty of chances to figure out how to participate within the rules. This is why we changed the policy in favor of shorter bans issued after two infractions rather than three. So, on the whole people probably get fewer chances overall before permaban is even considered, but they are put on notice much earlier that they need to adjust their behavior. Some members developed a track record of problems before most of the current mods were on duty, and as jscrothers notes, some of these self-eliminated.
    I see. Thanks for explaining the process to me!

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Did someone shut of the option for liking posts in this thread or doesnt that function in this part of the forum?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Did someone shut of the option for liking posts in this thread or doesnt that function in this part of the forum?
    It's off for Official Decrees because we don't want people liking posts in the Banned and Damned Thread. It can only be turned on or off on a subforum level. It is has been both on and off for this subforum so if you noticed a change, that is why.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639