User Tag List

First 910111213 Last

Results 101 to 110 of 128

  1. #101
    Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx
    Posts
    21,661

    Default

    I thought he was alright, I never saw any of the behaviour which resulted in his ban, perhaps I wasnt following too closely but it didnt annoy me.
    Last edited by Coriolis; 01-30-2015 at 12:27 AM. Reason: Removed references to specific members

  2. #102
    Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx
    Posts
    21,661

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    I have infractions from 3 years ago that say they never expire, but i'm sure they have otherwise i'd been banned forever along time ago. That being said 6 months is a really long time.
    I have one which will never expire, I wonder about them too, they are there, I think it means that its at mod discretion whether you spend another day on the forum or not and dont you forget it kind of thing but objectively its always been the case so why kid yourselves its any different?

    I dont know or remember what they were in relation to, I think insulting members and hostility, although to be truthful if I reported the amount of people who I feel have insulted me and deliberately and over the long term there'd be a lot of people vanished. I'm not sure what that would achieve though because its not going to bring back the people who've drifted away or stopped visiting or restore the state of affairs that existed when those old grudges first grew up.

  3. #103
    Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx
    Posts
    21,661

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Skinny-Love View Post
    Hey smarty, you are an exceptional man. The real McCoy. Over the years, I saw that. In my moment of despair a year or so ago, you stuck up for me when nobody else would and fought off the bad guys like it was nothing. You were nothing but kind, thoughtful, and respectful to me. The truth remains, you run circles around people and that's got to be a little bit threatening.
    I dont mean to fucking do that though, I know exactly what you are talking about here because its got me on the wrong side of people in real life too, to the point on one occasion of it resulting in serious jeopardy because people HATE me or HATE the way I've made them feel, its not my fault that I can bring that out in people, I dont think and I think the sort of world in which everyone is treading in egg shells is not far off. Weather its legislated or just some shit EVERYONE feels.

    There's so many people who meet me and imagine "That fucker needs to be taken down a peg or two", who in the fuck thinks like that? The amount of people I meet too who're like Arnold Rimmer and bluffing and coasting on the fact that most other people possess slightly less information than them or they're good at passing off someone else's wit as their own and when they meet someone who challenges it, maybe even inadvertantly with a clarifying question which leaves them stuck, and then its "Fuck them, they're on the list" and you hear shit being talked about you third or sometimes even fourth party, like "I dont know, but I've heard" and someone else joins in who hasnt fucking met you either and reflects and agrees simply to be taking part in the conversation. Rant over I guess.

    Its bad enough that you could have distance between you and the average person, that they'll express a commonly held view, which you know to be mistaken but you also know that you'd need to have three seperate but related "building" conversations before you even get to why its wrong in the first place.

  4. #104
    Analytical Dreamer Coriolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Posts
    17,579

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I thought he was alright, I never saw any of the behaviour which resulted in his ban, perhaps I wasnt following too closely but it didnt annoy me.
    This is a good illustration of why public debate of specific mod actions like bans is not productive: members will not be privy to all the facts of the case, especially if some of the relevant actions transpired outside of public threads.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I have one which will never expire, I wonder about them too, they are there, I think it means that its at mod discretion whether you spend another day on the forum or not and dont you forget it kind of thing but objectively its always been the case so why kid yourselves its any different?
    Infractions and warnings expire after 6 months. Some old infractions/warnings show up as never expiring due to an artifact of the bookkeeping method in place at the time. Don't worry - they won't be held against someone who has maintained a clean record since.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

  5. #105
    Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx
    Posts
    21,661

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    This is a good illustration of why public debate of specific mod actions like bans is not productive: members will not be privy to all the facts of the case, especially if some of the relevant actions transpired outside of public threads.
    Which is a good point.

    Infractions and warnings expire after 6 months. Some old infractions/warnings show up as never expiring due to an artifact of the bookkeeping method in place at the time. Don't worry - they won't be held against someone who has maintained a clean record since.
    Interesting.

  6. #106
    Senior Member riva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    2,079

    Default

    why was swiv unbanned; what's with moderator transperency they said they would implement?
    Last edited by Coriolis; 01-30-2015 at 12:29 AM. Reason: Removed references to specific members other than swivelinglight
    .

  7. #107
    Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx
    Posts
    21,661

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by riva View Post
    why was swiv unbanned; what's with moderator transperency they said they would implement?
    In the valley of the blind the one eyed man is king?

    To be honest I think the "I was off my meds", "I was off my head" defence probably will have something to do with revoking perma bans, or some other sort of crisis, I've seen it operate that way on other forums.

    There is one conservative/capitalist website which I've visited which is almost truly unmoderated, they have no bans or controls or censorship whatsoever, I think they only police bots and spam and pornographic material.

    It works, to a certain extent, although it can get pretty nasty and people do get hounded out of town. Met some truly mad obsessive types there too, the right wing equivalent of 9/11 truthers and their personality traits have deliberately been mobilised on occasion to hound people out of town.

    Its one of the longest running forums I've seen, then again, it might see the traffic of TypoC in a day over the span of a single year, at least in posting.
    Last edited by Coriolis; 01-30-2015 at 12:30 AM. Reason: Removed quoted reference to specific members

  8. #108
    Analytical Dreamer Coriolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Posts
    17,579

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by riva View Post
    Also why was swiv unbanned; what's with moderator transperency they said they would implement?
    "Moderator transparency" does not extend to public discussion of the details of specific actions like infractions, bans, and ban reversals. This is primarily to protect the privacy of members involved. It also helps to reduce unnecessary drama.

    Edit: Discussion of specific members, whether to support their ban or their return or just to criticise, has been removed as much as possible. The OP requested discussion on the permaban reversal policy, not nominations or rehashing of old decisions. If specific cases raise specific questions, such as "how much information can we post about someone else", please start a new feedback thread to discuss it. If you really want to gossip, especially about members not here to defend themselves, please take it to PM.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

  9. #109
    Vulnerability Eilonwy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sp/so
    Posts
    6,176

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    Edit: Discussion of specific members, whether to support their ban or their return or just to criticise, has been removed as much as possible. The OP requested discussion on the permaban reversal policy, not nominations or rehashing of old decisions. If specific cases raise specific questions, such as "how much information can we post about someone else", please start a new feedback thread to discuss it. If you really want to gossip, especially about members not here to defend themselves, please take it to PM.
    Calling it out as gossip is fine. Understanding that gossiping is part of human nature and that it probably will continue even after calling it out is fine. But I have a problem with suggesting taking it to PM. That seems to be encouraging more gossip rather than having the effect that you seem to be going for, which is discouraging it. Especially from a mod. It could be taken as endorsement of gossiping as long as it's by PM.
    Johari / Nohari

    “That we are capable only of being what we are remains our unforgivable sin.” ― Gene Wolfe

    reminder to self: "That YOU that you are so proud of is a story woven together by your interpreter module to account for as much of your behavior as it can incorporate, and it denies or rationalizes the rest." "Who's in Charge? Free Will and the Science of the Brain" by Michael S. Gazzaniga

  10. #110
    FRACTALICIOUS phobik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    7,371

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eilonwy View Post
    Calling it out as gossip is fine. Understanding that gossiping is part of human nature and that it probably will continue even after calling it out is fine. But I have a problem with suggesting taking it to PM. That seems to be encouraging more gossip rather than having the effect that you seem to be going for, which is discouraging it. Especially from a mod. It could be taken as endorsement of gossiping as long as it's by PM.
    PM's can/do exist with or without endorsement. I only see soft-censorship.
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

    Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

Similar Threads

  1. Reversing Self-Neglect - Have You Done It?
    By Gloriana in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 08-16-2009, 07:41 PM
  2. [MBTItm] So I did the MBTI test in reverse....
    By BlackOp in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 11-13-2008, 02:41 PM
  3. What are the different effects of reversed process pairs?
    By Magic Poriferan in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-13-2008, 06:50 PM
  4. Reverse Introductory Thread
    By ThatsWhatHeSaid in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 93
    Last Post: 12-05-2007, 07:47 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO