User Tag List

First 89101112 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Evee View Post
    It's not their forum it's all of ours.
    Well, I used to think so, especially when people, including myself, were paying subs through the paypal and stuff like that.

That'll only take you so far though.

Quote Originally Posted by Skinny-Love View Post
    That may be, but they hold the keys and make the final administrative decisions. They've more than proven themselves to be competent. I trust their judgment.
    Was a time I'd have agreed, the increasingly vague nature of the basis for issuing binding infractions makes me less convinced that its not a matter that if enough mods feel a certain way about you then your card is marked and less and less people who used to post really good threads a long time ago are around as a result.

Last infraction I got was to do with hostility as a consequence of something which was a random thought in the random thought thread, I'd not thought it likely that anyone would be annoyed by it or even perceive it as hostile in an infractionable way, I wasnt precious about it and if it'd simply been deleted or if I'd be informed it was deleted or if I'd been asked to delete it myself it'd all have been grand.

Although its an infraction now, not going away for a long time, there's a permanent infraction for something vague I was never entirely clear on, which means I'm a single infraction off a permaban. It was largely part of why I stopped visiting a while back, I could see the writing on the wall and didnt want to give the people I believed were planning a permaban the satisfaction.

These are the sorts of games which I think are going on, some of its bound to be personality clashes and irreconcilable opinions but I think its something more fundamental which I've seen a bunch of places, a bunch of times, power corrupts yadda yadda

Quote Originally Posted by Hard View Post
    Actually, it is. The mods here are very reasonable and have our interests in mind. If they did not, people would not be here.
    Is that just specific to the forum or is that an opinion you have about authority generally?

I try to take a balanced view of authority generally, including the forum, its exercised by people who're human, all to human, also its opposed sometimes by people who're much the same, but what you just said there seemed a little one dimensional and naive. I'm not aiming to offend you saying that. Its just an observation and you dont need to agree with it or think its valid.

Quote Originally Posted by jscrothers View Post
    Also, inmates who have been sentenced to the hole can get their cases appealed and sentences overturned when precedents are overruled. (Not being able to be a member of TypoC is jail. Precedents being overruled are .. TypoC climate/rules changing. And Reece Rudolph is.. uhm.. Swivels or Simulated World?)

Although there are only so many ways that I can say "who gives a damn?", this is my favorite.
    Well people care enough about seeing some people brought back to want to reverse bans, to want to make bans reverseable and with whom the idea of binding rules doesnt sit well, wouldnt you say?

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Is that just specific to the forum or is that an opinion you have about authority generally?

I try to take a balanced view of authority generally, including the forum, its exercised by people who're human, all to human, also its opposed sometimes by people who're much the same, but what you just said there seemed a little one dimensional and naive. I'm not aiming to offend you saying that. Its just an observation and you dont need to agree with it or think its valid.
    The forum, but it can be general.

It's not naiive. The mods are good people with good intentions, and as such things can be approached peacefully and with understanding of what happens. People might claim that I blindly follow authority; I do not. I view the authority, and if it is competent then I respect it. I actually find people more often blindly combat/reject authority. Thus creating their own little self fulfilling procephcies.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

I hate to say this because it goes against my normal inclinations but it sounds a lot like just another reminder that the mods and the owner can run the forum as they see fit, mods uber rules, its known so why post the thread other than to make it appear less capracious than its likely to seem in practice.
    The alternative is that we engrave every last detail in stone and make no departures from that for any reason. This is not feasible since we cannot anticipate every contingency that might arise, and it is not in anyone's best interests. Mod discretion will continue to be a factor in mod decisions, which is why we have multiple mods on staff and involved in decisions, and why we select them with great care.

There was a time I had a lot more faith in the objectivity of the mods than these days, also there was a time that more time was spent discussing topics other than the forum itself.
    There was a time when member feedback, suggestions, and even criticism were not solicited as directly or entertained as deliberately as they are now. I am sure this relates to the amount of discussion on "the forum itself".

Although its an infraction now, not going away for a long time, there's a permanent infraction for something vague I was never entirely clear on, which means I'm a single infraction off a permaban. It was largely part of why I stopped visiting a while back, I could see the writing on the wall and didnt want to give the people I believed were planning a permaban the satisfaction.
    No, actually, you are a single infraction away from a tempban of likely one week, until the infraction expires 6 months after issuance.

People are welcome to their own opinions on the quality of forum moderation. Ideally, however, it will be based in actual facts.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

Was a time I'd have agreed, the increasingly vague nature of the basis for issuing binding infractions makes me less convinced that its not a matter that if enough mods feel a certain way about you then your card is marked and less and less people who used to post really good threads a long time ago are around as a result.

Last infraction I got was to do with hostility as a consequence of something which was a random thought in the random thought thread, I'd not thought it likely that anyone would be annoyed by it or even perceive it as hostile in an infractionable way, I wasnt precious about it and if it'd simply been deleted or if I'd be informed it was deleted or if I'd been asked to delete it myself it'd all have been grand.

These are the sorts of games which I think are going on, some of its bound to be personality clashes and irreconcilable opinions but I think its something more fundamental which I've seen a bunch of places, a bunch of times, power corrupts yadda yadda
    Hey smarty, you are an exceptional man. The real McCoy. Over the years, I saw that. In my moment of despair a year or so ago, you stuck up for me when nobody else would and fought off the bad guys like it was nothing. You were nothing but kind, thoughtful, and respectful to me. The truth remains, you run circles around people and that's got to be a little bit threatening.

MBTI
    yupp

I have infractions from 3 years ago that say they never expire, but i'm sure they have otherwise i'd been banned forever along time ago. That being said 6 months is a really long time.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    ok so should they call it "This ban is most likely permanent, but it might not be depending on circumstances ban"? that seems long
    No, and I guess we just start calling everything else that's only 99% to be 100%. Condoms are 100% effective. Antibacterials kill 100% of bacteria. Mostly permanent, actually permanent, close enough, right?
    "Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away." -Ekaku Hakuin
    http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...psdunkqmep.png
    5w4 . IEI . Chaotic Good
    Right-Libertarian Minarchist

I think reversing a permaban is a really bad idea. A lot of debate, discussion and second chances are given with bans. Permabans should be permanent.