User Tag List

View Poll Results: Should we have both a like and a dislike button?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Just the "like" button please

17 62.96%
  • We should have both "like" and "dislike" buttons

10 37.04%
First 7891011 Last

Google "chemtrails" Bush Did 9/11's Avatar
    MBTI
    eNtp
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    γ Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I figured the fact we've already had this exact same discussion on the forum three times (or so) and then Highlander went ahead and installed it anyway explains adequately why there is not a "neither" in the list.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    I agree. The poll should have had an option for "neither".
    It'd be fair to edit the poll to include this option, just in case it turns out that nobody actually wants it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Woaden View Post
    This implementation is much cleaner. At this point, the only thing that could be improved is suggestion that Nico made -- to not display who liked the said post.

I think it would be nice because the point of this feature is to acknowledge good posts, and I think the name showing distracts from that. It's more impactful to have "17 people like this post" than to say "XXX, YYY, ZZZ, AAA, BBB, CCC and 11 others like this post."
    Agreed with you and Nico.
    J. Scott Crothers
    aka "Bush Did 9/11"
    Founder, Truthtology, est. 1952
    Prophet and Channel, God Almighty
    Author, the Holy scripture Elevenetics

"Just as jet fuel cannot melt steel beams, so too cannot the unshakeable pillars of Truthtology ever be shaken, whether by man, nature, or evidence."
    - Elevenetics

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    *feels like the guest who was late for ordering dinner and just learned that everyone decided the group should have tofurkey*

Tofu's not bad as long as you know how to cook it right.

"Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Tofu's not bad as long as you know how to cook it right.

that's what they all say... and then the texture is just WRONG!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

can't handcuff the wind Z Buck McFate's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    What new options discourage interaction?

I think that it can be encouraging for people to get positive 'hits' on their contribution- and since clicking a 'like' button is easier than actually leaving a rep, as lame as that may sound, it will be used more freely/often and that (imo) will encourage interaction.

But I think having this publicly displayed can backfire. It can discourage interaction if someone's posts aren't liked. I haven't really payed much attention to how it's played out so far, but I imagine people who have stronger connections (or just more in quantity) to others here will end up with more 'likes' under their posts. So for someone who isn't particularly visible or without connections- getting noticeably fewer likes than surrounding posts is kinda like someone else saying, "It's not your imagination, you DON'T fit in here."

Personally my own qualm falls in line with what Nicodermus said. It's going to be practically impossible for me *not* to take mental sticky notes about who likes what post.....but then I really need to discipline myself to stop reading things that annoy me anyway.

eta: Also, I feel very dubious of tofurkey. I really enjoy tofu- but not when it's pretending to be something else, because it's really not fooling anyone when it does that.
    Reality is a collective hunch. -Lily Tomlin

5w4 sx/sp Johari / Nohari
    Likes Starry liked this post

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Z Buck McFate View Post
    eta: Also, I feel very dubious of tofurkey. I really enjoy tofu- but not when it's pretending to be something else, because it's really not fooling anyone when it does that.
    What if it's wearing a neon t-shirt emblazoned with, "I am TOFURKEY, hear me roar"?

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

can't handcuff the wind Z Buck McFate's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

What if it's wearing a neon t-shirt emblazoned with, "I am TOFURKEY, hear me roar"?
    This is a good point. Here I was assuming that tofurkey was pretending to be turkey, and hadn't even considered that it knows it isn't and it just wants to be its own thing. Oh "assume", you've made an ass of me once again.

To expound a little on my apprehension: the public display of ‘likes’ is reminding me of a scene from a movie starring Bill Murray called Kingpin. He plays a really seedy professional bowler, and he’s standing in a crowd of fans picking out the groupies he wants to follow him to his room. He points to each young woman in the row, indicating whether or not he wants them: “You, you, not you, you, not you.” The point in showing that he obviously doesn’t care how it makes the “not you” women feel is to set up his character as a deplorable, insensitive jerk.

If the ‘likes’ are publicly displayed, I can’t help but feel like I’m saying “not you” to some people if I like some posts in a thread, but not others. So long as the ‘likes’ are publicly displayed, I (probably as an F, if not especially as an FJ) will feel at least a little compelled to use the ‘like’ button where I don’t especially like a comment, but don’t want the person to feel left out. So having ‘likes’ publicly displayed almost renders the point of ‘liking’ anything moot to me, because that factor is such a distraction that use of the button can stop being about whether or not I actually ‘like’ something.

People are rarely aware of their influence on others- or more specifically to this situation, they aren’t especially aware of how their approval/acceptance affects others. At least, I know I’m not. I suspect we all kind of breeze through posts in a thread, doing some form of the “You, you, not you, you…” to the posts- and I’m glad about the extent to which people can’t see into my head and magically know when they’re a “not you.” I do like the idea of giving a private ‘like’- but making it public makes me feel too much like that Bill Murray character saying “You, you, not you, you…”
    Reality is a collective hunch. -Lily Tomlin

5w4 sx/sp Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sp/sx

Im slightly confused by the importance being attached to this feature. The rationale behind it is a reduction in social barriers and an ease of communication?

Honestly I think you are overestimating it's usefulness. Social technologies adapt to the environ not the other way around. It will do little to break or lower barriers because the cost/input is so low. Without sufficient social risk/reward the barriers to become apart of a community will never be overcome.

To put this in context: Say I write something completely out of character; it's intelligent, it's well thoughtout, an witty. The post ends up getting likes............... what happens next? Do I VM these likers saying to them: “Hey look you like my posts, I like my posts lets talk this out BOOM!” Or alternatively do I think to myself “thats nice,” an continue to drink my orange mocha frapuccino?

From the other side of the coin I'm a relatively unknown member whose several different kind of socially inept. Say I go on a liking binge, do you think afterwards I'm saying: “woohoo the mobiuster is part of this forum now fist bump time!” No because all I'll have done was click a button a few times; minimal risk, minimal reward.

So that's my really longwinded way of saying it's an unimportant change, that will mostly used between people who know each other, and probably backbiting as well. The only real advantage is the Avatar Wars; where instead of threads heavy with user input, you have threads with few users and a whole lot likes, the whole unbound egos an flattery saga.
    “Brighter, now brighter, pay no mind to those who squint, burn with all your heat.”

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Mobius View Post
    To put this in context: Say I write something completely out of character; it's intelligent, it's well thoughtout, an witty. The post ends up getting likes............... what happens next? Do I VM these likers saying to them: “Hey look you like my posts, I like my posts lets talk this out BOOM!” Or alternatively do I think to myself “thats nice,” an continue to drink my orange mocha frapuccino?
    Orange mocha frap.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

The irony isn't lost on me as I say this, but I think people think too much and are just overcomplicating this / blowing it out of proportion.

- If you have something to say, post. You know you want to, and you WILL post. Just like this thread. Lots of posting. People here don't have any problems with opening their mouths when they actually want to say something.

- If you don't have something to say, then don't post -- and you wouldn't be posting anyway if you don't have something to say. You would just be... not posting anything.

- I anticipate people to use the Like button when (1) they really don't have anything to add but wanted to let another poster know they appreciated their post and (2) when they actually like something someone posted and end up responding anyway... so you get both a Like *and* a post out of the deal. The Like is redundant, but hey, whatever -- consider it a Twofer, you're making out on the deal.

I really don't understand in practice or theory why people believe others would just click Like in lieu of posting if they had something to say; and why should people be required to make a redundant, fluffy post in the first place versus clicking the Like button? It's the equivalent of a head nod in a public conversation -- you're giving a cue to the speaker that you agree, without everyone having to shout, "I AGREE WITH YOU" in the middle of a conversation and clutter the air.

... If it matters, I supported the idea of a Like button some months back because I saw it being effective in other forums and provide simply another option in the social toolkit. When there was a lot of resistance, I just kind of dropped the whole thing myself and didn't bother to enter discussions about it anymore, and I didn't really know it would be rolled out until it pretty much came out here. But really? Is it really going to destroy the forum? So many speculations, but I think I've noted above how it actually gets used: I really, sincerely, honestly doubt that people who plan to make a substantial post worth reading will suddenly abandon that post just to click the Like button. It's more likely they will either not have posted at all OR would have posted something foofy or redundant.

I think the Fe arguments (showing people's names, etc.) are worth discussing, that might or might not be an issue; but I don't get where all the pushback is rationally coming from.

Likes highlander liked this post

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

I think the Fe arguments (showing people's names, etc.) are worth discussing, that might or might not be an issue; but I don't get where all the pushback is rationally coming from.
    I agree with your post, and to answer this feel that the names must be shown in this scenario, otherwise abuse of the functionality is more likely. If people are "liking" strategically or facetiously or to egg someone on, they will think twice before clicking a button that has potential to readily reveal over time this pattern.

If anyone doesn't like the button, don't use the damn thing. But frankly, I too have seen it used well in other environments and think the cautions surrounding this implementation are overblown. Could someone "like" your post to be strategic? Of course. Like anything else, it's a two sided blade that can cut both ways and comes with pros and a few cons. If the button is primarily used from a place of genuine appreciation and support from the heart, more often than not, the benefits should outweigh the cons. If it is used more to be cutting and injurious, that speaks far more to the quality of people on this forum than ANYTHING else.
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching
    Likes highlander liked this post