User Tag List

View Poll Results: Should we have both a like and a dislike button?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Just the "like" button please

17 62.96%
  • We should have both "like" and "dislike" buttons

10 37.04%
First 56789 Last

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    We could take that paragraph out and put it in the rules but the idea is to remind people that there are rules and to go ahead and read them. So having it in two places sort of has a purpose.
    maybe if you want to keep the same format at least have the link under the FAQ take you directly to the Rules page instead of to the New Member Resources page where you then have to click another link to get to the Rules page

I still have to wonder why there's one page that's basically a light version of the other when you could just have one page that's the same format as the new person's page but has links to the more in depth descriptions like with the FAQ...
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Why can't we like our own posts?

EDIT: Why did it work that time?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by The Ü™ View Post
    Why can't we like our own posts?

EDIT: Why did it work that time?
    I don't believe there is an option for this.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Please vote on the poll.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

Enneagram
    3w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

This implementation is much cleaner. At this point, the only thing that could be improved is suggestion that Nico made -- to not display who liked the said post.

I think it would be nice because the point of this feature is to acknowledge good posts, and I think the name showing distracts from that. It's more impactful to have "17 people like this post" than to say "XXX, YYY, ZZZ, AAA, BBB, CCC and 11 others like this post."

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿ digesthisickness's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

I assume if a person makes a post, they like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Woaden View Post
    This implementation is much cleaner. At this point, the only thing that could be improved is suggestion that Nico made -- to not display who liked the said post.
    Hmm. Plenty of times, knowing who liked something makes a difference. If a bunch of people I think are trolls or idiots like a post, then what I'd otherwise see as mysterious, ridiculous upvotes would then make sense to me.
    ✻ღϠ₡ღ✻
    (¯`✻´¯)
    `*.¸.*'ღϠ₡ღஇڿڰۣ
    •.¸¸. Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒჱܓ. இڿڰۣ.¸¸.இڿڰۣ´¯`·.─♥

Cerebral Artery
    http://www.facebook.com/CerebralArtery

Enneagram
    3w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by digesthisickness View Post
    I assume if a person makes a post, they like it.

Hmm. Plenty of times, knowing who liked something makes a difference. If a bunch of people I think are trolls or idiots like a post, then what I'd otherwise see as mysterious, ridiculous upvotes would then make sense to me.
    Likewise, those people whom you think are trolls or idiots might be seen as a genius to others. This kind of thing is context dependent, and I think the thread topic would be more than enough to filter out those "trolls" or "idiots" that seem to bother you.

Also, by not knowing who liked or disliked your post, you save yourself the annoyance should you know that a troll or an idiot liked or disliked an eloquent post of yours.

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿ digesthisickness's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Likewise, those people whom you think are trolls or idiots might be seen as a genius to others. This kind of thing is context dependent, and I think the thread topic would be more than enough to filter out those "trolls" or "idiots" that seem to bother you.
    Likewise, I may be seen as a troll or idiot and my name would clear up confusion for others thinking, "wtf? UPVOTED??". We're going in circles now. I only mentioned mystery-solving. It clears thinks up in a way that mere upvotes and downvotes don't.

Also, by not knowing who liked or disliked your post, you save yourself the annoyance should you know that a troll or an idiot liked or disliked an eloquent post of yours.
    I wouldn't be annoyed about such a thing. I post to speak my mind and I'd do so without this upvoting/downvoting business.
    ✻ღϠ₡ღ✻
    (¯`✻´¯)
    `*.¸.*'ღϠ₡ღஇڿڰۣ
    •.¸¸. Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒჱܓ. இڿڰۣ.¸¸.இڿڰۣ´¯`·.─♥

Cerebral Artery
    http://www.facebook.com/CerebralArtery

Enneagram
    3w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Likewise, I may be seen as a troll or idiot and my name would clear up confusion for others thinking, "wtf? UPVOTED??". We're going in circles now. I only mentioned mystery-solving. It clears thinks up in a way that mere upvotes and downvotes don't.
    I think what we can gather from this is that it's context dependent. You may be seen as a troll to some, but a genius to others -- everyone has a different idea of what a troll or an idiot is.

Why complicate the matter?

What other practical benefit does this bring other than "mystery solving"?

I wouldn't be annoyed about such a thing. I post to speak my mind and I'd do so without this upvoting/downvoting business.
    There might be others who would be. If you were to post to speak your mind without this "upvoting/downvoting business", shouldn't you not care about who is liking or disliking your post?

How about a mix of both: You can see who liked your posts (there already is a page in your profile that does this), but the public only sees the number of likes.

The main reason I think it should not be displayed is because it can easily lead to more conflict if it happens during a heated debate. By liking a post deriding another poster, I automatically side with one of them and openly oppose the other, becoming the enemy.