User Tag List

View Poll Results: Should we have both a like and a dislike button?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Just the "like" button please

17 62.96%
  • We should have both "like" and "dislike" buttons

10 37.04%
First 34567 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    Let me dislike this post of yours to give you a hint.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    as far as the whole encouraging/discouraging new members thing I actually have always been turned off by forums with the whole like/dislike/thank sort of thing going on because they seemed to chummy and cliquey and I didn't really want to have to invest in that sort of thing... I deal with people and their people-ness all day at work, why would I want to have to deal with interpersonal drama here as well?

I'm really rather disappointed to have come back to this

on a second thought, for new members a more streamlined and differently organized faq might help as well
    Quote Originally Posted by Hard View Post
    I am really, really against the idea of a dislike button. It's only serves to upset people. What's worse is that people can see who dislikes it. I think it should be removed completely. It lacks contexts for reason and why someone might dislike or disagree with the post, can easily lead the hurt feelings, and ultimately stir up trouble with people. There's a big reason why facebook doesn't even have a dislike button, despite the public clamoring for one for years.

I don't like the idea of a like button either, but I don't have a strong enough opinion on it to take issue with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by jscrothers View Post
    Can I somehow 'like' individual 'dislikes'? 'cause Nico's was pretty funny.

Implement infinite regress, please. It's 'likes' all the way down.
    I'm not a fan of the 'dislike' functionality, but I couldn't put my finger on exactly why. This is spot on.

Especially the context thing. "I agree/like" doesn't need much of a context. "I disagree/dislike" does. 'Okay, why do you disagree?' That's how discussions happen and how greater truth emerges.

edit: I'd also like to be able to 'like' and 'dislike' my own posts, thanks.
    Dislike is easy to turn off. I'll turn it off for now.

On the forum FAQ - @whatever do you mean? We just created a new one here.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    Dislike is easy to turn off. I'll turn it off for now.

On the forum FAQ - @whatever do you mean? We just created a new one here.
    there's a faq, a rules section and a section for new members... isn't that a bit excessive? couldn't we just have a questions section that could easily encompass all of that? (and like with signing contracts and stuff online have people read it or claim that they did before they join?)

and I was disappointed to find that the link you provided earlier doesn't turn off the likes and dislikes
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

and I was disappointed to find that the link you provided earlier doesn't turn off the likes and dislikes
    I tried that link and it looks like all it turns off is your ability to open up your sidebar menu to see your tally of likes/dislikes. My sidebar menu wasn't showing anything, and now that I turned it back on, the numbers are accessible again.

I am still receiving notifications in the main page header when someone Likes something regardless, but i thought that was what I'd be turning off.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I tried that link and it looks like all it turns off is your ability to open up your sidebar menu to see your tally of likes/dislikes. My sidebar menu wasn't showing anything, and now that I turned it back on, the numbers are accessible again.

I am still receiving notifications in the main page header when someone Likes something regardless, but i thought that was what I'd be turning off.
    same here... I hadn't wanted something else that would pop up in the notification bar!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Dislike feature will be missed dearly.
    Likes digesthisickness liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

there's a faq, a rules section and a section for new members... isn't that a bit excessive? couldn't we just have a questions section that could easily encompass all of that? (and like with signing contracts and stuff online have people read it or claim that they did before they join?)

We split out site rules intentionally. That's about what you can and can't do. The FAQ is meant to provide guidance and help to people to navigate the site. The new members section is actually just the first part of the FAQ. It's one and the same. There are no "rules" in it. It's not any kind of contract. Have you read through it all and the links that are provided? It's much better than what we had before. Nobody HAS to read it. But they may want to because it helps them figure out how to use the site. The topics in the New Member Resources section of the FAQ were selected and voted on by the forum improvement committee. I struggle to understand how providing relevant guidance to help new members use the site can be in any way bad. Maybe you take it for granted because you understand that stuff already.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Not going to use it(even tho my Fe will pressure me to do so and i will feel bad for not doing it) and i hope no one gets insulted for not liking their posts. i think its better to say what i think about their post via rep or quote.

is there any way to hide that button so that it doesent haunt me?
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

We split out site rules intentionally. That's about what you can and can't do. The FAQ is meant to provide guidance and help to people to navigate the site. The new members section is actually just the first part of the FAQ. It's one and the same. There are no "rules" in it. It's not any kind of contract. Have you read through it all and the links that are provided? It's much better than what we had before. Nobody HAS to read it. But they may want to because it helps them figure out how to use the site. The topics in the New Member Resources section of the FAQ were selected and voted on by the forum improvement committee. I struggle to understand how providing relevant guidance to help new members use the site can be in any way bad. Maybe you take it for granted because you understand that stuff already.
    I was just wondering why there isn't one link to click that could break things down into relevant categories since there's some definite overlap between the sections (I did read them all before criticizing... it was only fair) and the new members section includes some explanations that would be helpful for some older members as well since it explains how certain features of the forum work and such. I would also think that "what's going to get me banned from this place?" would be a frequently asked question...

however, I'm not in charge, so at the end of the day my criticism doesn't really have that much of an impact, I was just pointing out something that seemed a bit redundant to me

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

I was just wondering why there isn't one link to click that could break things down into relevant categories since there's some definite overlap between the sections (I did read them all before criticizing... it was only fair) and the new members section includes some explanations that would be helpful for some older members as well since it explains how certain features of the forum work and such. I would also think that "what's going to get me banned from this place?" would be a frequently asked question...

however, I'm not in charge, so at the end of the day my criticism doesn't really have that much of an impact, I was just pointing out something that seemed a bit redundant to me
    Though I had hopes of it being a community project, I ended up having to write all of it myself, so forgive what may be a little bit of defensiveness.

Can you let me know where the overlap is? You're right. There is helpful information for existing members as well. It's described in this announcement that was up for a couple of weeks after the info was posted:

In response to feedback from our members, we just completed a New Member Resources section in the FAQ. All new members receive a PM when they join the forum in which they are directed to this section. There are some things out here which will be of interest to longstanding members as well, so I suggest everyone take a look. Here is what we cover:

• Site rules and reporting posts/messages that violate those rules
    • How do I access the forum from my smart phone?
    • Interactive chat and voice communication with forum members (Ventrillo)
    • Basic introductory information and tutorials on personality type
    • How do I figure out my type?
    • Navigating the forum - how to find stuff
    • The user reputation system
    • How to upload images, videos, attachments and the like
    • Privacy on the forum
    • How do I initiate feedback to forum leadership?
    • Thread Avatars

The content can be found at New Member Resources.

Tri-type 639

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Though I had hopes of it being a community project, I ended up having to write all of it myself, so forgive what may be a little bit of defensiveness.

Can you let me know where the overlap is? You're right. There is helpful information for existing members as well. It's described in this announcement that was up for a couple of weeks after the info was posted:
    sorry I was gone for about a year there...

so after a quick glance over everything comparing what's on which page here's what I've got

the first section of the FAQ is titled New Member Resources, which lists the exact same things that are on the New Member Resources page... if the links are clicked they take you to the rest of the New Member Resources page section on that topic

the rest of the FAQ just goes a bit more in depth on the topics such as feedback and posting

the first section of both sections includes a link to the rules page

would it be possible to just take the New Member Resources page, add the links to the pages that go a bit more in depth to the bottom of each section as options to delve into a bit deeper and just start it all out with the rules, since both end up linking there straight off anyway?