User Tag List

View Poll Results: Should we have both a like and a dislike button?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Just the "like" button please

17 62.96%
  • We should have both "like" and "dislike" buttons

10 37.04%
First 891011 Last

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿ digesthisickness's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    How about a mix of both: You can see who liked your posts (there already is a page in your profile that does this), but the public only sees the number of likes.

The main reason I think it should not be displayed is because it can easily lead to more conflict if it happens during a heated debate. By liking a post deriding another poster, I automatically side with one of them and openly oppose the other, becoming the enemy.
    I love this idea.
    ✻ღϠ₡ღ✻
    (¯`✻´¯)
    `*.¸.*'ღϠ₡ღஇڿڰۣ
    •.¸¸. Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒჱܓ. இڿڰۣ.¸¸.இڿڰۣ´¯`·.─♥

Cerebral Artery
    http://www.facebook.com/CerebralArtery

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    Orange mocha frap.
    My thoughts exactly.
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I figured the fact we've already had this exact same discussion on the forum three times (or so) and then Highlander went ahead and installed it anyway explains adequately why there is not a "neither" in the list.
    Perhaps there should have been, and earlier in the process. Then again, I may have missed one or another phase of the discussion. The oldest discussion I remember seemed to result in a consensus that a like function was unnecessary.

Yes, it's just one more thing for those of us who aren't interested to ignore. I tend to like very clean, uncluttered webpages, though, and anything that is going to take up real estate there IME should have a clear purpose and obvious benefit. This doesn't make the cut, but then it isn't up to me.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

The irony isn't lost on me as I say this, but I think people think too much and are just overcomplicating this / blowing it out of proportion.

- If you have something to say, post. You know you want to, and you WILL post. Just like this thread. Lots of posting. People here don't have any problems with opening their mouths when they actually want to say something.

- If you don't have something to say, then don't post -- and you wouldn't be posting anyway if you don't have something to say. You would just be... not posting anything.

- I anticipate people to use the Like button when (1) they really don't have anything to add but wanted to let another poster know they appreciated their post and (2) when they actually like something someone posted and end up responding anyway... so you get both a Like *and* a post out of the deal. The Like is redundant, but hey, whatever -- consider it a Twofer, you're making out on the deal.

I really don't understand in practice or theory why people believe others would just click Like in lieu of posting if they had something to say; and why should people be required to make a redundant, fluffy post in the first place versus clicking the Like button? It's the equivalent of a head nod in a public conversation -- you're giving a cue to the speaker that you agree, without everyone having to shout, "I AGREE WITH YOU" in the middle of a conversation and clutter the air.
    While I do feel there will be times members will choose to (merely) "like" a post rather than taking the time to build on what was put forth by contributing their own perspective/take/ideas/knowledge/experience...this is certainly not the primary concern of the individuals that are not in favor of this function as I understand it. In my mind the concern was for how this function might inhibit the dialogue/discussion when a member has something they wish to contribute that will ultimately counter a position presented in a "heavily liked" post.

... If it matters, I supported the idea of a Like button some months back because I saw it being effective in other forums and provide simply another option in the social toolkit. When there was a lot of resistance, I just kind of dropped the whole thing myself and didn't bother to enter discussions about it anymore, and I didn't really know it would be rolled out until it pretty much came out here. But really? Is it really going to destroy the forum? So many speculations, but I think I've noted above how it actually gets used: I really, sincerely, honestly doubt that people who plan to make a substantial post worth reading will suddenly abandon that post just to click the Like button. It's more likely they will either not have posted at all OR would have posted something foofy or redundant.

I think the Fe arguments (showing people's names, etc.) are worth discussing, that might or might not be an issue; but I don't get where all the pushback is rationally coming from.
    I don't get the impression that members were implying the "like" feature will ruin the forum. I think it's that it threatens an aspect of what made this site so great for so many members. For the most part it seemed to me that the "playing field" was relatively equal...a group of people that were rather independent in their thinking and contributions without this social layer of who liked what and look Jennifer has 80 billion "likes" but Starry only has 4 <-and lucky for her the "dislike" function has been disabled.

I feel this function would be fun in the Bonfire...but in so many other places I fear it changes the dynamic in a way that will diminish the quality of the exchange here. But I hope I'm wrong.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Starry View Post
    While I do feel there will be times members choose to (merely) "like" a post rather than taking the time to build on what was put forth by contributing their own perspective/take/ideas/knowledge/experience...this is certainly not the primary concern of the individuals that are not in favor of this function as I understand it. In my mind the concern was for how this function might inhibit the dialogue/discussion when a member has something they wish to contribute that will ultimately counter a position presented in a "heavily liked" post.

I don't get the impression that members were implying the "like" feature will ruin the forum. I think it's that it threatens an aspect of what made this site so great for so many members. For the most part it seemed to me that the "playing field" was relatively equal...a group of people that were rather independent in their thinking and contributions without this social layer of who liked what and look Jennifer has 80 billion "likes" but Starry only has 4 <-and lucky for her the "dislike" function has been disabled.

I feel this function would be fun in the Bonfire...but in so many other places I fear it changes the dynamic in a way that will diminish the quality of the exchange here. But I hope I'm wrong.
    I would dislike this post so hard if I could.
    Likes Starry liked this post

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

80 billion to 4?

These kinds of exaggerations tie into my earlier point...the extreme conjectures get old. And why are you casting this as popular jennifer as somehow being representative of the abuse of the system? You've cast me before negatively more than once over the last few months, and I'm tired of being included in your examples. In this case, even the current data doesn't justify your fears if you bother to look at the Likes for our accounts.

In any case, @Starry, I request that you do not single me out in the future. Please use someone else as your example if you feel you must make one. Thanks.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

ummm ...
    does TC have a facebook page?
    is this throwing data back at the TC facebook/timeline?

80 billion to 4?

These kinds of exaggerations tie into my earlier point...the extreme conjectures get old. And why are you casting this as popular jennifer as somehow being representative of the abuse of the system? You've cast me before negatively more than once over the last few months, and I'm tired of being included in your examples. In this case, even the current data doesn't justify your fears if you bother to look at the Likes for our accounts.

In any case, @Starry, I request that you do not single me out in the future. Please use someone else as your example if you feel you must make one. Thanks.

Wow. I seriously don't even know what I say. None of what you wrote even crossed my mind. I was responding to your comments but they could have been anyone's for that matter and I would have used that 'anyone's' name to illustrate a point that I feel has merit...in what I felt was a light-hearted, self-effacing way. But yah, I remember now - thanks. I just don't quite have a grasp of what's funny and what's not do I?

Request granted. Gladly.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

Since others pointed it out, I am going to echo it: Get rid of who likes your post. I know many people here use reddit, simply use it like that. If the names are 100% hidden then there might even be an argument for having and up/down vote.

That said, I am still strongly against any kind of down vote, even if it doesn't show the name.

Additionally, the mods would still need to retain access to the names of who votes, in case individuals are abusing it by inflating or deflating users across the board unfairly.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

should not five options be explored? ...

- no change

- add a like button only

- add a dislike-button only

- add a like-button & a dislike-button

- orange mocha frap!