First 4567 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

March to Mid-April 2015

New Moderators – We announced two new Moderators: @Showbread and @BadOctobpus. Congratulations again to both! @skylights and @Lady_X retired from their duties. We thank them for all they contributed to the forum in their tenure as mods .

Vbulletin Upgrade – It’s not that visible to you but we installed a new version of Vbulletin and PHP. That was required to get some other things to work that we were doing and to plug some security holes. This also included upgrades of several plug-ins. It was a tricky upgrade with a number of things breaking that hopefully nobody ever saw since it was in the wee-hours of the morning and they were quickly fixed.

Home Page Revisions – We implemented the changes talked about in February. There were some new tweaks to the home page including a listing of personality tests in he upper left corner, new buttons to link to additional resources and the wiki, and changes to the forum statistics display. The buttons were changed to look more clickable.

Mobile Friendly – We made adjustments to the forum interface for the site to be “mobile friendly” to support Google’s new search algorithm that uses mobile friendliness as an important criteria in ranking sites. There is still some tweaking on this to get it to be working exactly correctly but the forum now meets Google’s guidelines.

Wiki Installed – As planned, the Wiki was installed and content placed in it for the 16 types as well as the 9 Enneagram types including instinctual variations. It includes text and video content and is accessible from the home page. We dealt with a nasty spam attack on our Wiki shortly after launching that . An AntiSpam extension is working effectively to prevent re-occurrences.

Video Library – More content continues to be added to the Video library. We’re up to 260 videos now

Additional Resources – I have been adding a lot of new sites to the Additional Resources tab off the home page here . There are about 50 sites listed now.

Tumblr Blog Updates – We added links to the Wiki type profiles from the Tumblr Blog home page

Newsletter – As described previously, we launched a site newsletter. I’m hopeful to continue to improve this and make it increasingly valuable to the membership.

Relationship Pairing Contest – We launched a Relationship Pairing Contest which went from early March to April 10th, with over 50 threads and 400 posts. The threads were intended to elicit information on what relationships are like between particular types. Winners will be announced relatively soon and prizes awarded. We added the threads in a new Inter-type Relationships Subforum.

Board of The Month – We are up for the Board of the Month on VBullletin.Org. At present, we are not leading but in the least, I hope to get worthwile feedback out of the exercise. If you have access, you can see developing results here Board of the Month Voting - Feb/March 2015 - vBulletin.org Forum
    Last edited by highlander; 04-15-2015 at 12:43 AM.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639
    Likes LonestarCowgirl, PeaceBaby, EJCC, TreeBob liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Summarizing updates over the last couple of months.

Mid April to Mid June 2015

New Moderators – We had some changes in the modbox. @Jennifer and @Vasilsa stepped down (thank you for your service!!). @Oaky joined the staff. We also added two Vent moderators - @Hive and @Ingrid in grids.

New Vent and HipChat – Our old Vent hosting provider stopped offering the service so we went to a new Vent provider. It looks exactly the same. It’s just a different provider. We also implemented a new collaboration service called HipChat that has Video chat capabilities and a more modern interface. It works best if you have an app on your laptop and there are also apps for smart phones. Thanks to @Ingrid in grids @Oaky @Hive and @Jarlaxle for setting this up and to @Wind Up Rex for coming up with the idea. We are planning updates to the home page some time soon to reflect the new Vent as well as HipChat status.

Security – We implemented a new modification that monitors our Vbulletin configuration and does suspicious activity alerting. It is invisible mostly but is working in the background, helping us to better secure the forum. We also implemented strong authentication, which is primarily to protect admin and moderator accounts. Any member can use it though if they want to better secure their account or just try it out. You just go into UserCp, turn it on, and it will walk you through the instructions. There is a smart phone app that you have to install. It generates a dynamic password on your phone every 60 seconds that you need to enter in addition to your normal ID and password if you come in from an untrusted/new location. It’s authenticating based on what you have (the phone) and what you know (your secret password). If you don’t like it, you can turn it off. I have been using it for over a month without incident. I wouldn't imagine most people would need it but it is an option that is available to you. On a completely unrelated note, I would recommend that for any critical systems you access (like your online bank account or brokerage), that you investigate if they have a similar option because it is very helpful in reducing risk from phishing attacks.

Relationship Pairing Contest – We announced the winners of the Relationship Pairing Contest, which were: @Ene @OrangeAppled @fidelia @seradane @BadOctopus @PeaceBaby @EJCC @Z Buck McFate @BluRoses @grey_beard and @Hard. Winners were selected based on number and quality of posts. Congrats again! They received their prizes in the mail or electronically.

Board of The Month – We got second place in Vbulletin.Org’s Board of the Month.

Site Performance – I’m happy with site performance. Our average page load time is 2.83 seconds. That is down from 5 seconds six months ago. For mobile, it’s 5.93 seconds. Some simple adjustments, like moving all the reputations off of UserCP have made a difference.

Wiki Updates – I’ve been adding and updating some stuff in the Wiki. You’re free to do so as well. It’s open to forum members who want to add content. Since installation at the beginning of March, we’ve had 14,000 visits to the Wiki home page.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639
    Likes EJCC, Wind Up Rex, OrangeAppled, Luke O, Xann and 2 others liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Some updates on recent activities.

July 2015

VBCredits and VBShop – We tried out a new points system to encourage forum posting. This has turned out to be far more controversial than I'd imagined and it is under discussion as to whether or not this will be continued. For now, it's still live, but most of the features are turned off.

Mobile Support - We implemented a new mobile skin at the suggestion of one of our members @Wind Up Rex. Tapatalk which was the mobile app to support the site has been turned off. Interestingly, nobody has made any comments on the absence of it. The mobile interface will likely be an area of further consideration moving forward.

Video Library – We're up to about 290 videos now.

Forum Test System – Some people have asked about this recently as we were testing some of the features of the Credits system "live". The test system was dismantled after its use caused the only two significant forum outages we've had over the last year. As it was causing more problems than it was solving and taking a lot of disk space, we turned it off.

Progress Against Plans Laid Out In Post 4

Next, I thought it may be helpful to go back to post #4 in this thread to evaluate progress over the last twelve months against what we said we'd do last year. As I reflect on it, it is interesting that there were a fair number of things done that weren't on this list .

One Year Items - this was the list of items to be done within one year

New Member Growth - Bringing in new members who will contribute and support the goals/objectives discussed; Growth target of 500 members per day (from current high 200s) by May 1, 2015
    We did bring in a lot of new members. 3660 people joined the site in the last twelve months. We didn't accomplish the 500 members online per day. After the email address leak last summer, we dropped from about 270 members online per day to about 210 per day , which lasted for several months. Over the past several months, we have generally been in the range of 220 to 250 members per day. We established a presence on Twitter and Tumblr towards the end of last year and have approximately 500 followers so far across the two. That seems to have drawn new members to the forum. The amount of traffic on the forum has had a steady increase as shown in this graph, in particular from mobile devices.

Establish Typology Wiki - including written and audio-visual content, RSS feeds (not thread based) – consider asking members what content would be most valuable to them
    We implemented MediaWiki in March. As of the date I'm writing this, the home page of the Wiki has been accessed 16,854 times. There is a lot more that can be done with this.

FAQ Overhaul/Starter Pack – include mission and vision, essential rules, explanation of forum features and how to navigate it, and reliable tests from the Internet collected in a bundle so the member can type themselves
    The New Member Resources section of the FAQ which is directly accessible from the home page was rolled out last June. Additionally, there were several personality tests posted on the home page in March.

Promote and Improve Communication About Forum Features and Changes - such as through PMs, emails or announcements on the home page
    There is this thread of course and we've had several additional posts or announcements when new things were getting implemented. We also tried out a site newsletter. A couple of new plugins were installed to allow dissemination of information through PMs and newsletters. Better advance notice of new things getting implemented is a key area to focus on moving forward.

Welcome Newbies – Establish Forum welcoming committee or buddy system to foster sense of community for quality newbies and dilute the sense of the tight bonds that are already created being impenetrable to newcomers
    We didn't do this though we talked about it. It might be worth considering doing more here.

Home Page Revisions - Member of The Week & Possibly “Resource of the Week”; consider removing the random stuff
    This was implemented last September. It was a major enhancement and a number of members contributed to the design.

Establish Games or Tournaments - Bring back gauntlet, contests, or other games to bring people together, get to know each other and have fun
    We did a couple of things here - the Relationship Pairing Contest and the Credits system, with the relationship pairing contest being the more broadly popular of the two.

Three Year Items - This was the list of items to be done within three years

Established Partnerships - Or cooperation with Typology professional associations, leading practitioners and or researchers - who participate or who we have relationships with
    We dabbled a little bit on this by assisting Enneagram Explorations with a research study of MBTI and Enneagram types.

Forum Redesign (note, need to evaluate where Vbulletin is going; this will not be simple)
    The short term option chosen was to stay with VBulletin, upgrade it and to enhance it through plugin modifications. A fair number of changes were made including the current home page, thread avatars, new subforum icons, addition of new features such as Likes, Thread Tagging, the Media Library and the Wiki.

More Accessible Forum Content - Revisit organization, what content is most important, make more accessible including identification of what is good vs. bad; revisit what should be publicly vs privately accessible
    We implemented an improved search engine as well as Thread Prefixes to make it easier to find things. Attempts were made to enable Automated Thread Tagging to further facilitate search but it proved detrimental to forum performance. We also revised the forum menu structure to make the site easier to navigate . Some reorganization of threads was done - specifically the entire Enneagram forum was reorganized.

New and Meaningful Content - Create and or publish something different, unique and valuable, such as Four Letter Type + Enneagram profiles; obtain high quality official content from authorititative sources, such as Tritype, well known authors or practitioners
    Key additions were the Wiki content, the text/video type descriptions accessible from the home page, the Additional Resources Section and the Media Library.

Tri-type 639
    Likes Luke O liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

December 2015

I guess I haven't posted much on this topic lately. In no particular order, to summarize a few things that have changed since July.

Mobile Support – We implemented a mobile skin called Metro Mobile. It turned out to be buggy and it has just been updated to a new version. Let me know if this new version works any better and if not, we will select something else. Tapatalk is running again on the forum.

HipChat On Home Page - HipChat has been added to the home page. Our new Ventrillo host has not proven to be as reliable as I had hoped. This is no doubt somewhat related to the fact that Vent is very old technology. If it's not working well, we have this other option.

Newsletter – After a couple misfires, I finally came up with an HTML newsletter format that I'm comfortable with with and this is now being distributed to the forum members. The plan is for this to be a regular thing moving forward.

Wiki – It's starting to get filled out nicely due to contributions from @Seymour @EricB and others.

Scholarship – A scholarship was launched last month. At present, it's being publicized by 46 universities to their students.

Social Media Test – A new test was launched that analyzes your posts provides information on your personality type.

Forum Software Upgrades – We upgraded our vBulletin software and several of the plugins to more current versions. This should have been pretty transparent to you.

Credits Software – The credits software was permanently removed. Hopefully a distant memory.

That's all I can think of at the moment. I had a heavy work schedule for several months which didn't leave that much time for forum stuff.

Tri-type 639
    Likes 21%, Poki, Amargith liked this post

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    Scholarship – A scholarship was launched last month. At present, it's being publicized by 46 universities to their students.
    I have to say, this is really immensely cool on so many levels.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

Likes highlander, yama, N/A liked this post

Google "chemtrails" Bush Did 9/11's Avatar
    MBTI
    eNtp
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    γ Ni

Yeah, what @Hard said.

Holy shit. I'd like to publish it next semester or something.
    J. Scott Crothers
    aka "Bush Did 9/11"
    Founder, Truthtology, est. 1952
    Prophet and Channel, God Almighty
    Author, the Holy scripture Elevenetics

"Just as jet fuel cannot melt steel beams, so too cannot the unshakeable pillars of Truthtology ever be shaken, whether by man, nature, or evidence."
    - Elevenetics
    Likes Hard liked this post

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

I'm just glad that the drama has died down. It's very refreshing.
    Likes Bush Did 9/11, Dreamer liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
    I'm just glad that the drama has died down. It's very refreshing.
    Indeed. The modbox has been quite boring lately.

(And no: we don't need anyone trying to do us favors by "livening it up".)
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

Dream without Hesitation Dreamer's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    297 so/sx
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post

You read my mind

I kid of course
    The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams
    -Eleanor Roosevelt

On The blessblessblessblesster
    MBTI
    xNtJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post

I got you fam, don't worry.
    Herpaderpderpderpderpderpderp
    Often wrong, but never in doubt!