MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Default Forum Enhancements

Hi Everyone!

We're bringing in a developer to make a few enhancements to the site and I wanted to announce some of the things he was going to be working on advance. There are some small clean up things related to the upgrade that he will address, like making sure your friends avatars show up on the Home page and eliminating some errors in a few of our templates. He will also add the Vent status and a few new thread views. He'll also be implementing the Thread Avatars mod . It shows the avatar of a poster that starts a thread next to the thread rather than the generic envelope.

There are a couple bigger things that I'd like him to do but we need to develop specifications on what we want.

Article/Video Publishing - The first thing is to use the VBulletin publishing suite (or something like it) which we have but aren't fully capitalizing on so that we can post articles, videos, news and things like that. Right now, if you publish an article, it goes in the bottom left hand corner of the home page. It is quite odd. I'm not sure exactly what I want here but am thinking maybe something like this, this or this? . I don't think we need anything super fancy and am not talking about redoing our forum interface. I am asking for volunteers though to help us figure out what we should do on this and what it should look like exactly, so we can tell the developer what we want.

Live Video Webcasts - The idea here would be to have a place on the forum where we can host live video webcasts/podcasts. I would like for part of the screen to show video – say with one person interviewing another. The other part of the screen would display a chat window or discussion thread related to the video podcast in progress, where members would be allowed to post questions or add comments. If anyone has an interest helping us to set this up or working on that sort of thing, please let me know.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    He'll also be implementing the Thread Avatars mod . It shows the avatar of a poster that starts a thread next to the thread rather than the generic envelope.
    I don't mean to rain on your parade, but to me this seems to be little more than adding visual clutter.

As for the other ideas: I see potential there. You could turn this site into a typology wiki and news center...

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    I don't mean to rain on your parade, but to me this seems to be little more than adding visual clutter.

As for the other ideas: I see potential there. You could turn this site into a typology wiki and news center...
    Let's see how it turns out. I'll have him implement it in the green template first so we can get a chance to see what it looks like.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

There are some small clean up things related to the upgrade that he will address, like making sure your friends avatars show up on the Home page and eliminating some errors in a few of our templates.
    +1

He will also add the Vent status...
    Adding Vent status is sort of whatevs, imo.

If it adds more clutter than necessary, then I'd rather not have it.

If he's able to do it without adding clutter to the site's aesthetic, then aite.

How will he be adding it? As a button along the top, along with Home, User CP, Forum, etc?

...and a few new thread views.
    Thread views?

Do people really pay attention to these much?

These are just the various ways that threads can look/show up/appear, right?

Does anyone really use anything but "Linear"?

What would he be adding?

He'll also be implementing the Thread Avatars mod . It shows the avatar of a poster that starts a thread next to the thread rather than the generic envelope.
    I actually agree with Nicodemus.

One of the things I like about this site, relative to, let's say PersonalityCafe, is that our visual format is much more clean.

PersonalityCafe is so busy, it immediately turned me off from ever visiting there.

It almost gives me a headache to spend any time at there site.

Let's see how it turns out. I'll have him implement it in the green template first so we can get a chance to see what it looks like.
    I'm down to give it a try, and I think doing it in the green template idea first (and possibly only) is a good one.

I think we should just keep in mind the maxim that "sometimes less is more".

There are a couple bigger things that I'd like him to do but we need to develop specifications on what we want.

Article/Video Publishing - The first thing is to use the VBulletin publishing suite (or something like it) which we have but aren't fully capitalizing on so that we can post articles, videos, news and things like that. Right now, if you publish an article, it goes in the bottom left hand corner of the home page. It is quite odd. I'm not sure exactly what I want here but am thinking maybe something like this, this or this? . I don't think we need anything super fancy and am not talking about redoing our forum interface. I am asking for volunteers though to help us figure out what we should do on this and what it should look like exactly, so we can tell the developer what we want.
    The first link didn't seem to make much sense...

The second link I didn't like too much... too busy...

I actually liked the third link, and think that could be good.

How would this be implemented?

Also a button across the top?

Would it replace one of the current buttons?

Or just add one? Like, say, "Articles", or something?

Frankly, I wouldn't want to replace our current home page, which I like.

If we could add another button, tho, called "Articles", maybe between UserCP and Forum, that would be good.

And how does one even post these articles? Must one be a mod/administrator?

Live Video Webcasts - The idea here would be to have a place on the forum where we can host live video webcasts/podcasts. I would like for part of the screen to show video – say with one person interviewing another. The other part of the screen would display a chat window or discussion thread related to the video podcast in progress, where members would be allowed to post questions or add comments. If anyone has an interest helping us to set this up or working on that sort of thing, please let me know.
    I like this idea.

This was one of the ideas I was thinking of as well.

Would this be open to all members who wanted to start one, on a whim?

Or, once again, like Articles, would a mod/admin have to make this happen?

Like Articles, I'd be a bit concerned about what might happen if any member is just allowed to do one of these...

Yeah, that's where I think there's a lot of promise.

In addition to the forum, we should just have a space to put really good information, including new, cutting edge stuff.

And it really should have its own section, not just the forum.

Having an actual Articles section devoted to MBTI, Enneagram, Socionics.

And then within each Section, break Sub-Sections down by type or whatever.

And then post articles, profiles, etc about those types, or the theory in general, in its appropriate Section/Sub-Section.

The Forum just isn't really suited to that purpose; an Articles section would clearly be superior.

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Also, @highlander, could you possibly move the "Typology Videos and RSS Feeds" forum/subforum (whichever it's considered) from the "Typology Systems" section to the "Other Typology Discussion" section?

It makes way more sense for it to be in the latter.

And it literally hurts my brain to see it in the former.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

I'm not sure how to relate the layouts in your three examples to the items in our current layout, or the things you are considering adding (e.g. articles, videos). What about them are you trying to point out?
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Thanks for the feedback. It's very helpful in shaping some of this out.

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    I'm not sure how to relate the layouts in your three examples to the items in our current layout, or the things you are considering adding (e.g. articles, videos). What about them are you trying to point out?
    I looked around last night for some examples when the developer, as expected, said he need more information on what was desired. The point is to have a place where we can publish videos and articles. That could be the same place. It could also be in two different places.

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    Also, @highlander, could you possibly move the "Typology Videos and RSS Feeds" forum/subforum (whichever it's considered) from the "Typology Systems" section to the "Other Typology Discussion" section?

It makes way more sense for it to be in the latter.

And it literally hurts my brain to see it in the former.
    That was a temporary solution to build out and consolidate some content. I see us actually removing that subforum and placing that stuff in the Videos and Articles sections, as described below.

+1

Adding Vent status is sort of whatevs, imo.

If it adds more clutter than necessary, then I'd rather not have it.

If he's able to do it without adding clutter to the site's aesthetic, then aite.

How will he be adding it? As a button along the top, along with Home, User CP, Forum, etc?
    I asked him to put it in a prominent place like on the home page. I hope that will be done in good taste. I've specifically asked for:
    - Number of users currently on Vent
    - Who’s currently on Vent
    - Link to thread where instructions are on how to install

Thread views?

Do people really pay attention to these much?

These are just the various ways that threads can look/show up/appear, right?

Does anyone really use anything but "Linear"?

What would he be adding?
    I personally use the "Today's Posts" view almost exclusively when navigating the forum. People navigate in lots of different ways though. A lot of people use UserCP. Others go into the subforums. Here are the views I've asked for:

- Highest Rated Enneagram threads – From Enneagram forum and subforums, sorted first by thread rating and secondary by number of views
    - Highest Rated Videos and RSS Feeds - sorted first by thread rating and secondary by number of views
    - Highest Rated MBTI and Cognitive Function Threads – From main and subforums, sorted first by thread rating and secondarily by number of views

There is nothing a member can't do themselves in that list. The idea though is to start coming up with some nice sorts that help to make the best content more easily accessible.

I actually agree with Nicodemus.

One of the things I like about this site, relative to, let's say PersonalityCafe, is that our visual format is much more clean.

PersonalityCafe is so busy, it immediately turned me off from ever visiting there.

It almost gives me a headache to spend any time at there site.

I'm down to give it a try, and I think doing it in the green template idea first (and possibly only) is a good one.

I think we should just keep in mind the maxim that "sometimes less is more".
    It's a good point. We want to keep it simple/clean and without clutter. It seems like we could spice things up a little. Grayfolio and Green are close to a generic VBulletin interface and Default is a custom skin but not much different.

The first link didn't seem to make much sense...

The second link I didn't like too much... too busy...

I actually liked the third link, and think that could be good.

How would this be implemented?

Also a button across the top?

Would it replace one of the current buttons?

Or just add one? Like, say, "Articles", or something?

Frankly, I wouldn't want to replace our current home page, which I like.

If we could add another button, tho, called "Articles", maybe between UserCP and Forum, that would be good.

And how does one even post these articles? Must one be a mod/administrator?
    I don't think we should change the home page.

What I was thinking is that we would add one tab or possibly two. We remove the Arcade Tab and replace is with Articles. We add a second one called Videos. We could also try to combine those two but I'm afraid it would be too much in one place.

I'm not sure I understand what the problem is with the Article Posting Tab example. The nice thing is there is a plugin available that produces that. It displays a list of articles. It has Most Read, Most Commented and top Authors on the right hand side. There is a little bit on the left. It seems pretty clean to me. What exactly don't you like about it?

I agree that the Media posting tab example is a little busy. There is also an plugin available for that, though my understanding it is unsupported and takes some tweaking to get it to work. My thought is that we could use a subset of that. I'm coming up with this as I'm typing this message but there is some very nice stuff there that I would propose keeping:
    - Random media
    - Recently added, which is the default view
    - By: Category, Best Videos, Most Viewed, Most Voted (various sorts essentially)

However it also has:
    - Popular
    - Featuring
    - Watch This
    - Latest Comments
    - Keywords

Which are just too much.

On the video webcast/podcast idea, you said:

I like this idea.

This was one of the ideas I was thinking of as well.

Would this be open to all members who wanted to start one, on a whim?

Or, once again, like Articles, would a mod/admin have to make this happen?

Like Articles, I'd be a bit concerned about what might happen if any member is just allowed to do one of these...
    I had not thought thought through all of the logistics of how it would work exactly but I was envisioning that someone would need to at least administer the service or facility so that time could be blocked or events planned. This could be involved or maybe not so involved but I see several things that need to be done. First, we need to spec out exactly what service we'd want to use to stream the videocast. The user interface design would have to be developed and the developer would need to code it. We'd need to test it out and make sure it works the way we'd want. I was thinking that mostly we'd do interviews but it could be more than that. For interviews, we'd need to line up speakers or people to interview. We'd need to to line up someone (s) to conduct interviews. We'd need to prepare a list of questions in advance. We might want to leverage some video production software to make it look professional. It could be kind of simple - like one event every couple of months, or something more than that. We could stream things besides interviews. I really think this could be kind of an awesome thing but it will take some effort to get off the ground initially and then to organize events moving forward. I need help with someone to help organize and lead it.

Yeah, that's where I think there's a lot of promise.

In addition to the forum, we should just have a space to put really good information, including new, cutting edge stuff.

And it really should have its own section, not just the forum.

Having an actual Articles section devoted to MBTI, Enneagram, Socionics.

And then within each Section, break Sub-Sections down by type or whatever.

And then post articles, profiles, etc about those types, or the theory in general, in its appropriate Section/Sub-Section.

The Forum just isn't really suited to that purpose; an Articles section would clearly be superior.
    Those are good ideas. It helps to frame some of the nebulous concepts that have been rolling around in my head. Nicodemus articulated it very well.

The organization of the "wiki" is a good topic to discuss further.

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

I'm not sure I understand what the problem is with the Article Posting Tab example. The nice thing is there is a plugin available that produces that. It displays a list of articles. It has Most Read, Most Commented and top Authors on the right hand side. There is a little bit on the left. It seems pretty clean to me. What exactly don't you like about it?
    This link is to a VBulletin login page: "You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons . . . " Did you mean to link something else?
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    This link is to a VBulletin login page: "You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons . . . " Did you mean to link something else?
    Maybe that's because I have access to VBulletin.org and you don't. I'll post a screenshot.

Edit: Here it is.

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    yupp

on the vent status, people can loggin, if they don't like the person they can log out. though even if 2 people don't like eachother they don't have to talk to each other.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so