First 34567 Last

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Disabling it selectively would be fine.

However, I do need to respond to your "my eyes are distracted but maybe our eyes just need to get used to it." If the eyes do not like it, then what is the point of wasting time simply to train your eyes to ignore it? (Because that's what my eyes are naturally doing -- basically learning to ignore that 'first column' of data and looking for thread titles elsewhere.)

If people are routinely needing to train themselves to ignore the clutter, then it's not much of a feature.

It's rather like saying, "Well, we'll give you another week of getting hit on the head by a hammer, eventually you won't even notice!"
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sp/so

I'm leaning more and more towards distracting.

Maybe instead of default "on" and disabling it selectively, it could be default "off" and enable it selectively?
    Johari / Nohari

“That we are capable only of being what we are remains our unforgivable sin.” ― Gene Wolfe

reminder to self: "That YOU that you are so proud of is a story woven together by your interpreter module to account for as much of your behavior as it can incorporate, and it denies or rationalizes the rest." "Who's in Charge? Free Will and the Science of the Brain" by Michael S. Gazzaniga

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    I came across it when I was getting the new search program and thought we needed a little bit of color to spice things up. It's a popular plugin - downloaded 1400 times and with an average rating of 4.95 out of 5.00, so I thought it might be worth a try. The original plan was to do it on the green skin first but that didn't happen.

I find the same thing - my eyes are distracted but it may be that our eyes just need to get used to it. Let's give it a week and then take a vote. We can remove some of the options or take it down entirely if we decide to. On it being optional for a member, yes we can do that with a little customization.

If you want to selectively disable thread avatars, you can set the $show['hide_thread_avatars'] to true. This would allow you to create a custom profile field for users and set the $show['hide_thread_avatars'] based on the user's setting. Alternately you could enable the addon for certain usergroups or just for specific styles.
    A vote would be good. If the vote turns out in favor of thread avatars, making them optional would be greatly appreciated. I'm no programmer, but from what you posted, it looks like that could be very easily done?

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

I came across it when I was getting the new search program and thought we needed a little bit of color to spice things up. It's a popular plugin - downloaded 1400 times and with an average rating of 4.95 out of 5.00, so I thought it might be worth a try. The original plan was to do it on the green skin first but that didn't happen.

I find the same thing - my eyes are distracted but it may be that our eyes just need to get used to it. Let's give it a week and then take a vote. We can remove some of the options or take it down entirely if we decide to. On it being optional for a member, yes we can do that with a little customization.

If you want to selectively disable thread avatars, you can set the $show['hide_thread_avatars'] to true. This would allow you to create a custom profile field for users and set the $show['hide_thread_avatars'] based on the user's setting. Alternately you could enable the addon for certain usergroups or just for specific styles.
    If there's a vote, it should not simply be yes or no, but also include strength of opinion.

I.e., "strongly against" "mildly against" "dont care" "mildly in favor" "strongly in favor"

Or some such setup (I think five options is best, tho)

Unapologetic being Evolving Transparency's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

Let's give it a week and then take a vote.
    Sounds good.
    "Once the game is over, the Pawn and the King go back into the same box"

Freedom isn't free.
    "Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear." ~ Orwell
    I'm that person that embodies pretty much everything that you hate. Might as well get used to it.
    Unapologetically bonding in an uninhibited, propelled manner
    10w12

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp

I like the avatars and I like the addition of ventrilo on the home page. I am assuming the media and articles aren't there yet or I just can't find them.

Either way, since I am familiar with both of them I approve of them as well. From my experience they aren't in your face and you will only use them if you intentionally click on them. On our forum the media library is user driven but the articles is populated by staff. The issue with that is of course time. We haven't posted anything there for a couple years no because we haven't had any mods willing to do the work (Searching for good users posts to promote to the articles section).
    Don't like my modera... Oh wait, wrong forum. Carry on.

ESTP, 8w7 sx/sp

Do the thread avatar icons convey any kind of useful information though?

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by yeghor View Post
    Do the thread avatar icons convey any kind of useful information though?
    As far as I know, all they do is:

- show the avatar of the person who started the thread.
    - include an inset image of YOUR avatar within the image if you have posted in that thread before.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

FigerPuppet

Thread avatars are very annoying.

figsfiggyfigs

Is it possible to get vent status on greyfolio