User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

I actually enjoyed seeing the avatars displayed, but it looks ugly when the OPs don't have an avatar.

Quote Originally Posted by Amargith View Post
    I'm pro getting used to it.

It's like a haircut - I never like it at first coz it just looks weird/different.
    I dunno. PerC also employs thread avatars, and even after frequenting the forum for about 1-2 months I sometimes thought "fuck it" when I went on a sub-forum and was barraged by visual clutter, and promptly closed the tab.

I imagine it could even be detrimental to the forum. At least for me, because sometimes I couldn't even be bothered to scout the page for interesting thread topics because of the overwhelming disarray.

I once had a psychology teacher who always put the pictures in his power points to the left, because our brains would naturally pay more attention to images if placed to the left or something like that. My memory's real fuzzy about what he said exactly, but it was something to that effect, and if my experience with thread avatars is any indicator, I can definetely imagine it to be true.

can't handcuff the wind Z Buck McFate's Avatar
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Since you tagged people, I assume you want everyone to throw their 2 cents in: yeah, too clunky and PerC-y.

Or if you leave them up- you should bring back the Massengill pastel skin so I can pimp the page up proper. [KIDDING.]

eta: Also, I wanted to ask what the guy below me asked- if there was some way to make one skin not have it.

Plus, in case enough people aren't saying it- highlander, all this effort and listening to opinions is appreciated.
    Reality is a collective hunch. -Lily Tomlin

5w4 sx/sp Johari / Nohari

Is there a way to make thread avatars optional?

And also, is it more of an experiment, or was it a wish from the forum members?

If it was implemented because of a demand from the forumites, I think making them optional would be the best for all, since the opinion of them seems to be strongly divided.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sp/so

I'm for giving it a couple of days. It looks better in default skin than the other two.
    Johari / Nohari

“That we are capable only of being what we are remains our unforgivable sin.” ― Gene Wolfe

reminder to self: "That YOU that you are so proud of is a story woven together by your interpreter module to account for as much of your behavior as it can incorporate, and it denies or rationalizes the rest." "Who's in Charge? Free Will and the Science of the Brain" by Michael S. Gazzaniga

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Clutter. Makes it harder to skim actual content....i.e. the titles.

EDIT: To explain further, it's useless/redundant content.

- For western cultures (reading left to right), it consumes the most prime real estate on the contents page and offers nothing in return (as the userid of the thread creator is already listed). The prime real estate should belong to the most important identifier -- the thread name. The thread name is prime draw to the thread (people will look at the thread creator as a second consideration, not the first, in terms of interest in posting to thread).

- As stated, the userid of the thread creator is already listed. You waste two blocks of space with the same information.

- It creates an unpredictable jumble of image data in the first left-hand row of data that now must be scanned and ignored... more energy wasted.

- If people don't even have avatars activated, they wouldn't recognize the creator by the avatar anyway; and it's tiny enough that it could be difficult to recognize anyway.

There is one minor benefit of the avatar thing, in that it usually flags in some way whether you've posted in the thread before or not. I think one of the other forums I'm on doesn't show individual avatars but just shows the same image (a block of color / a repeated icon), with a visual change in the icon design if you've posted there before. That way, the eye doesn't try to "parse" the image, it can tell immediately whether it's a "posted here" or "not posted here" flag and moves right along to the thread title.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

violaine

I really like it. I generally prefer pics over words.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

On second thought, the avatars are unnecessarily distracting

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by unsung View Post
    Is there a way to make thread avatars optional?

And also, is it more of an experiment, or was it a wish from the forum members?

If it was implemented because of a demand from the forumites, I think making them optional would be the best for all, since the opinion of them seems to be strongly divided.
    I came across it when I was getting the new search program and thought we needed a little bit of color to spice things up. It's a popular plugin - downloaded 1400 times and with an average rating of 4.95 out of 5.00, so I thought it might be worth a try. The original plan was to do it on the green skin first but that didn't happen.

I find the same thing - my eyes are distracted but it may be that our eyes just need to get used to it. Let's give it a week and then take a vote. We can remove some of the options or take it down entirely if we decide to. On it being optional for a member, yes we can do that with a little customization.

If you want to selectively disable thread avatars, you can set the $show['hide_thread_avatars'] to true. This would allow you to create a custom profile field for users and set the $show['hide_thread_avatars'] based on the user's setting. Alternately you could enable the addon for certain usergroups or just for specific styles.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639