User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by garbage View Post
    I agree with pretty much all of this.

Everything stems from a mission or purpose. If the goals are contradictory, then they've gotta be examined. If the goals aren't contradictory, they'd still need to be prioritized. Do we want to first work on how to generate content or how to foster a social environment? And for content, kind of content--psychology, typology, support and advice and "safe space" talk, ... ?

That whole exercise would drive answers to (very legit) questions like @Magic Poriferan's, set the direction for the modstaff, and perhaps that too of a committee. It'd also drive how much we value long, good comments. If content is a priority, then we'd want to foster an environment where those who have something to say aren't dissuaded from doing so. That environment would be one that's (a) not so damn contentious and (b) where thought-provoking posts are somehow brought to the forefront (as stickies, articles, ...). Both of those, and possibly other environment conditions, would increase incentive for folks to create content. The implementation? Well, the committee could help decide the posts that contain substantial, worthwhile content; and the mods could deal with the contention.
    I like this. I do feel that we generally need to know what we are aiming for, before people can know whether they want to be involved in an improvement committee. I care about this place and have found that it was a great opportunity for thought and growth in the past. These days, I feel a bit that we are dealing with the legacy of Haight's uninvolvement. While I understand not wanting to alienate current forum users, I also think that water tends to find its own level, and therefore, it is important to thoughtfully drive the kind of content and posting that happens. I've noticed throughout the years that this forum often is sought out by people who are feeling socially isolated or who have just been through a lot of emotional or idealogical turmoil and need support and a chance to reorient themselves (certainly that was why I found this place). In its healthiest sense, we can have a very positive influence when people come here in that state. Unfortunately, it often means that those who are most unstable and volatile are also the ones who have the most time to spend on the forum, and therefore a lot of the content revolves around that unhealthy state of flux, creating contention, fluff content, complaints, vying for position or notice. Not only do these logistical problems exist for contention and forum content, but as I've gotten to know members' personal stories over the years, I think it sometimes serves as a way of avoiding a healthy balance of online and real world existence (which creates more balance and perspective). It is no coincidence that often as people become more stable, they tend to drift away from the site to pursue other relationships and initiatives in real life.

It seems to me then, that we should be trying to attract stable long term members who can temper this tendency and create long lasting positive relationships which still have content as a vehicle for pursuing friendship, rather than merely time spent and fluff interactions as a vehicle for interaction here. I think even in a social sense, this site could serve to motivate people to interact positively with the non-online world. The exercise thread is an excellent example of this. I have found over the last while that there are more negative interactions than positive, or just that I am feeling a sense of detachment. I have in the past felt frustration with those that just complain about how great the forum used to be and I don't want to be one of those people. I have been on this site for a number of years, but as time goes on, feel a growing sense of restlessness and frustration as I feel that in some ways we are actually hindering people's personal growth by letting people just cope with a surface amount of emotional support from a distance, without us having access to the whole picture (and unwittingly validating some really negative stuff). I've found in some cases, escape to the forum serves to allow people to avoid dealing with their real world issues entirely. It's kind of like being someone's drinking buddy when their life is being destroyed by addiction. I don't want to contribute to that. I understand that not everyone is going to feel that way though, so maybe that is just a personal concern that I will have to think about and decide how I want to continue interacting with the forum. At the same time, I recognize that there is a kind of power that comes with shared information, shared emotional support and stable relationships to encourage and to stimulate thinking and initiative and we could be of great help in that sense.

I could be interested in a committee, but am not naturally inclined towards working in a larger group (part of the reason why I chose not to continue as a mod), both because I need a strongly shared sense of ideology and purpose, and a sense of the time being productively and effectively spent. Are there initiatives that individuals or small groups of people could take on, together with others they know that they are going to be able to work well with? I don't know if that's even a possibility. There is a book called Give and Take that explores the power of individuals in a workplace being given opportunities to pursue initiatives to make the place better by volunteering their time. It explores what makes volunteering successful and what keeps people motivated to continue doing so. Don't know if you've ever run into it, but I've wondered if it would have some relevance to the discussion here.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    1. Growth of membership
    2. Accessible high quality content
    3. Attraction and retention of high value contributing members
    4. Fostering a sense of community
    5. Diversity of membership base - attracting all types
    6. Making the forum fun
    I have some questions concerning nos. 2 & 3, and a couple of general questions. Is there a consensus on what constitutes high quality content? Who or what determines the value of contributing members? Was there a time in the forum's history when people were mostly satisfied with the typology discussions taking place? What was different then from now?

One of my main concerns for the forum is that people like me, who have very little real background or knowledge, won't be able to contribute to, or participate in, discussions in any real way if there is only one level of discussion being promoted. In the past, I've heard more knowledgeable posters complain about the level of discussion brought by less knowledgeable posters, saying it was boring and not worth their time and effort. It might be worth it to consider how to accommodate different levels of discussion, so that those with less knowledge can learn, while those with more knowledge will still be challenged enough to not get bored.

Personally, I like the human element that I've found here. Some members don't contribute much typological content, but they do contribute insightful human content, which adds to the typological content that is here. And, even though you don't want contention to the point that people stop posting, a little contention and chaos can produce some very insightful posts.
    Johari / Nohari

“That we are capable only of being what we are remains our unforgivable sin.” ― Gene Wolfe

reminder to self: "That YOU that you are so proud of is a story woven together by your interpreter module to account for as much of your behavior as it can incorporate, and it denies or rationalizes the rest." "Who's in Charge? Free Will and the Science of the Brain" by Michael S. Gazzaniga

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by FLD View Post
    Sounds like you're trying to be all things to all people.

Items 1, 4, and 6 seem at odds with 2, 3, and 5.

Items 1, 4, and 6 seem appropriate for a site that is social-media-oriented and craves a big membership; in that scheme of things, the subject of typology only gets specified as a loose theme and a way to draw people; once people are here, typology kind of goes by the wayside and pretty much any kind of posting is rewarded.

Meanwhile, items 2, 3, and 5 seem more oriented toward an actual typology-themed site, where there are incentives in place for posting on-theme and disincentives for posting material not related to typology.

My suggestion: Figure out what you want the board to be.
    Yep.

------
    Also, to OP, re specifically #2, I'd like to know how one would go about determining 'high quality content' when typology itself is insanely subjective at this point. Who determines who the 'experts' are (all of this is especially relevant to the multitude of videos online, all created by people who think they know what they're talking about, and endless 'type me' discussions and methods of typing) ?
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

I'll tell Google to get on that right away.
    You'll need a lot of cash to burn.

To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by FLD View Post
    This morning I saw the thread on "Developing the Inferior" and wanted to comment at some length on the video. But it would have taken at least an hour or two to write (MBTI posts tend to run long), and that's a considerable investment of time. And probably no one would respond.
    Hmm, I would have been interested in your perspective on this topic. Perhaps you would still share some thoughts on that.

------------------------------------

As for this whole topic, I do have thoughts but don't have time atm to flesh them out. Will reflect some more and try to come back to this thread later.
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

I'd like to volunteer. I've wanted to give back to this forum for years, outside of being a moderator (which I never had time for), and this would be the perfect opportunity.

Although I don't know how qualified I am to help with some of the goals you mentioned -- I think I'd have to do some research on the other personality forums out there, to see what they're doing right that we're doing wrong, and vice versa -- I do think I'm very qualified to contribute on point #5 (diversity of membership).
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

I'll tell Google to get on that right away.
    nothings wrong with the seo as i see it. it comes up almost immediately if i ever google something type related.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Eilonwy View Post
    I have some questions concerning nos. 2 & 3, and a couple of general questions. Is there a consensus on what constitutes high quality content? Who or what determines the value of contributing members? Was there a time in the forum's history when people were mostly satisfied with the typology discussions taking place? What was different then from now?
    Quote Originally Posted by cascadeco View Post
    Also, to OP, re specifically #2, I'd like to know how one would go about determining 'high quality content' when typology itself is insanely subjective at this point. Who determines who the 'experts' are (all of this is especially relevant to the multitude of videos online, all created by people who think they know what they're talking about, and endless 'type me' discussions and methods of typing) ?
    As I understand it, these are the kinds of questions the committee will address. If we had all the answers, we wouldn't need a committee.

My personal view is that education should be a primary purpose of the forum, and as such, ignorance is fine as long as one is trying to correct that through learning. As one learns, one can contribute more substantively to discussions, or share what one has learned elsewhere with other members.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    I'd like to volunteer. I've wanted to give back to this forum for years, outside of being a moderator (which I never had time for), and this would be the perfect opportunity.

Although I don't know how qualified I am to help with some of the goals you mentioned -- I think I'd have to do some research on the other personality forums out there, to see what they're doing right that we're doing wrong, and vice versa -- I do think I'm very qualified to contribute on point #5 (diversity of membership).
    This. Sounds like something I'd be good at but I'm not sure how qualified I am for the job. Just sounds so enticing for an so/sx!
    7w6 - 2w3 - 8w7 sx/so

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Chanaynay View Post
    This. Sounds like something I'd be good at but I'm not sure how qualified I am for the job. Just sounds so enticing for an so/sx!
    yes! love these two volunteers!
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison