User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 54

  1. #11
    Administrator highlander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni
    Posts
    17,889

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FLD View Post
    Sounds like you're trying to be all things to all people.

    Items 1, 4, and 6 seem at odds with 2, 3, and 5.

    Items 1, 4, and 6 seem appropriate for a site that is social-media-oriented and craves a big membership; in that scheme of things, the subject of typology only gets specified as a loose theme and a way to draw people; once people are here, typology kind of goes by the wayside and pretty much any kind of posting is rewarded.

    Meanwhile, items 2, 3, and 5 seem more oriented toward an actual typology-themed site, where there are incentives in place for posting on-theme and disincentives for posting material not related to typology.

    My suggestion: Figure out what you want the board to be. Any sizable company in the business world creates a mission statement clarifying what its "main purpose" is. Anything that serves the main purpose is encouraged; anything that deviates from the main purpose is discouraged. The mission statement is made public, and it becomes like the constitution of a country; anyone criticizing or suggesting anything to do with the makeup of the message board has to justify their criticism or suggestion with reference to the mission statement.

    *Without* a mission statement, you get things like Haight setting loose Hustler to chase away non-INTPs from INTP-C without anyone ever actually spelling out what policy was on non-INTPs. Or you get the college-girl-and-her-rape-whistle crowd spending an entire year spamming and banging the drum for feminist causes with the support of the admin staff at a website that ostensibly has little or nothing to do with social causes. Or you get a typology website where several of the top posters have no clue what their personality type is and/or post messages trying to debunk typology. Or you get a typology website where MBTI, enneagram, astrology, and tarot all seem to be regarded as equally valid in terms of personality typing systems. Frankly, these kinds of things are amateurish and disruptive.

    I'm not saying to ban this or that poster. I'm just saying to define clearly which kinds of posts are most valuable to the administration of the board, and set up appropriate incentives and disincentives to make the message clear. For example: Posting a message on social/religious/political matters gets you one point toward post count; posting a message on MBTI matters gets you two points. Posting on cognitive functions gets you three points.

    Anyway, my advice: Hire a business consultant to take a look at the website for a week or two and made recommendations on a mission statement and a proper "brand" for the website, as well as some simple policies to reinforce that "brand." (And no, I'm not a business consultant or offering my services, nor am I interested in serving on any committees.)

    But first, madmin staff should sit down and try to arrive at some consensus as to whether this is primarily a typology site or primarily a social media site, in order to give the business consultant a heads-up on which way to go with his/her recommendations. Because frankly I don't think the madmins currently have a consensus on that. For starters, you could prioritize that 6-item list in the OP according to importance; that would help indicate the website's priorities.
    Your feedback is pretty interesting. The point about brand is important. I don't know if things need to be so either/or but your point is well taken that clarity of direction and priorities are important.

    We still need volunteers.

    Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

    Tri-type 639

  2. #12
    Analytical Dreamer Coriolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Posts
    17,522

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FLD View Post
    I didn't say to *limit* the discussion to the modstaff; I said *start* the discussion with the modstaff.

    I don't see much purpose in turning the matter over to an outside committe from the membership (or to a business consultant) when you guys won't take a clear stance on whether this is a typology discussion website or a general social media website. What's an outside committee going to achieve with a 6-point list of contradictory objectives like the one in the OP? You're just going to get more of the same old fuzzy-headed feel-good measures that you always get when asking for advice from the membership.

    In the business world, that 6-point list would be considered a death knell: An assignment where you can't even figure out what the goal is. Those kinds of assignments give the boss cover by making it look like something's being done, but they're murder on the staff because nothing can be accomplished--there's no single clear goal. Such assignments are just brainstorming exercises that go nowhere. Assignments like the one in the OP ask for everything and nothing.

    The goal (some indication of where the website is supposed to be going) has to be defined by Highlander, presumably in consultation with the modstaff.

    ETA: By the way, I'm not expecting you guys to take my advice. I gave Haight exactly the same advice in the past (about clarifying the purpose of the message board with a mission statement), and he always did the opposite. As a result, the board lurched from one extreme to the next. You INTJs like to appear inclusive, but at the same time you act cagey and hold your cards close to your chest while you figure out what you yourselves want to do. When you finally figure it out, you'll toss aside the committees and rules and do what you want. IOW, I don't expect much has changed as a result of the ownership switch.
    You are presuming the discussion hasn't started already with the modstaff. That would be incorrect. The apparent contradiction between being a serious typology website and being a site where people can socialize and have fun is not nearly as absolute as your remarks suggest. We would like to solicit member feedback on what in fact is the proper balance, rather than overdetermining the solution by being too specific at this point. The alternative is that we lay out a very specific hierarchy of goals, then as soon as we solicit feedback, we see something that causes us to realize that we overlooked something significant. There is merit in formulating something akin to a business plan, but we are not in fact a business. We can follow the standard business model only so far. I trust there will be at least a few members willing to work with a rather loosely determined instruction set.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

  3. #13
    Senior Member cafe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None
    Posts
    9,827

    Default

    I've got free time and an emotional investment in the forum, so I am willing to volunteer. But I don't have much else to bring to the table in terms of expertise, etc, so maybe not the most helpful person in the world.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

  4. #14
    RDF
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    You are presuming the discussion hasn't started already with the modstaff. That would be incorrect. The apparent contradiction between being a serious typology website and being a site where people can socialize and have fun is not nearly as absolute as your remarks suggest. We would like to solicit member feedback on what in fact is the proper balance, rather than overdetermining the solution by being too specific at this point. The alternative is that we lay out a very specific hierarchy of goals, then as soon as we solicit feedback, we see something that causes us to realize that we overlooked something significant. There is merit in formulating something akin to a business plan, but we are not in fact a business. We can follow the standard business model only so far. I trust there will be at least a few members willing to work with a rather loosely determined instruction set.
    Fine. Mainly I'm saying what *I* need if I'm to keep posting here.

    There's an old saying that markets don't like instability. When finance or tax laws are in flux, the stock market tanks; investors can't tell what's going to happen to their investments, so they pull out.

    This morning I saw the thread on "Developing the Inferior" and wanted to comment at some length on the video. But it would have taken at least an hour or two to write (MBTI posts tend to run long), and that's a considerable investment of time. And probably no one would respond. So I blew it off. MBTI discussion at this website tends to be crap, and the atmosphere at the board in general has been contentious for a long time. I blame a lot of that on Haight. With no definition of what the board is or does, the board was only as good as Haight and his whims. And he was fickle.

    So now Haight's gone, but we still have the same admin staff: No changes in policy, no changes in personnel. Same old, same old. And now a poorly-constituted advisory board is going to be creating more flux at a poorly-defined message board. Great.

    I'm just saying. A little definition as to what the board's actually about might create some stability; people might then contribute more than fluff posts and rant threads.

    Oh well, I've bitched enough. I'll drop it. You all do what you have to do.

  5. #15
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,524

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by superunknown View Post
    Way to step up to the plate, @Mole. I think you'd make a fine member of this committee.
    Perhaps a member of the Loyal Opposition?

  6. #16
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Well, if it's any indication, I suspect if we examine the traffic in each forum, the non-typology-serious forums have more participation. (And I wouldn't count the "popular typing" forum as a typology forum, because it's usually just off-the-cuff posts in general, not like what would amount to the in-depth type discussions.) It looks to me like the forum at the moment is a catch-all general forum where people are at least aware of their MBTI type (or other basic types) but are here more for the general socialization.

    I mean, one way to determine what the forum wants is to look at what it does already. What needs are being served? If a direction is picked that doesn't align with what the membership is doing, the the current membership will dwindle (since their current needs are no longer served) and new membership will be needed.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  7. #17
    WALMART
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    Perhaps a member of the Loyal Opposition?
    Give 'em Hell!

  8. #18
    Administrator highlander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni
    Posts
    17,889

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FLD View Post
    So now Haight's gone, but we still have the same admin staff: No changes in policy, no changes in personnel. Same old, same old. And now a poorly-constituted advisory board is going to be creating more flux at a poorly-defined message board. Great.
    I think you are raising some interesting points though I don't agree with everything you are saying. If you don't like "same old", then here is your chance. It's everybody's chance. It's your forum. Critique is good but solutions are better .

    Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

    Tri-type 639

  9. #19
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,524

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FLD View Post
    Sounds like you're trying to be all things to all people.

    Items 1, 4, and 6 seem at odds with 2, 3, and 5.

    Items 1, 4, and 6 seem appropriate for a site that is social-media-oriented and craves a big membership; in that scheme of things, the subject of typology only gets specified as a loose theme and a way to draw people; once people are here, typology kind of goes by the wayside and pretty much any kind of posting is rewarded.

    Meanwhile, items 2, 3, and 5 seem more oriented toward an actual typology-themed site, where there are incentives in place for posting on-theme and disincentives for posting material not related to typology.

    My suggestion: Figure out what you want the board to be. Any sizable company in the business world creates a mission statement clarifying what its "main purpose" is. Anything that serves the main purpose is encouraged; anything that deviates from the main purpose is discouraged. The mission statement is made public, and it becomes like the constitution of a country; anyone criticizing or suggesting anything to do with the makeup of the message board has to justify their criticism or suggestion with reference to the mission statement.

    *Without* a mission statement, you get things like Haight setting loose Hustler to chase away non-INTPs from INTP-C without anyone ever actually spelling out what policy was on non-INTPs. Or you get the college-girl-and-her-rape-whistle crowd spending an entire year spamming and banging the drum for feminist causes with the support of the admin staff at a website that ostensibly has little or nothing to do with social causes. Or you get a typology website where several of the top posters have no clue what their personality type is and/or post messages trying to debunk typology. Or you get a typology website where MBTI, enneagram, astrology, and tarot all seem to be regarded as equally valid in terms of personality typing systems. Frankly, these kinds of things are amateurish and disruptive.

    I'm not saying to ban this or that poster. I'm just saying to define clearly which kinds of posts are most valuable to the administration of the board, and set up appropriate incentives and disincentives to make the message clear. For example: Posting a message on social/religious/political matters gets you one point toward post count; posting a message on MBTI matters gets you two points. Posting on cognitive functions gets you three points.

    Anyway, my advice: Hire a business consultant to take a look at the website for a week or two and made recommendations on a mission statement and a proper "brand" for the website, as well as some simple policies to reinforce that "brand." (And no, I'm not a business consultant or offering my services, nor am I interested in serving on any committees.)

    But first, madmin staff should sit down and try to arrive at some consensus as to whether this is primarily a typology site or primarily a social media site, in order to give the business consultant a heads-up on which way to go with his/her recommendations. Because frankly I don't think the madmins currently have a consensus on that. For starters, you could prioritize that 6-item list in the OP according to importance; that would help indicate the website's priorities.
    This is not a business. This is not a company. Typology central is not bourgeois.

  10. #20
    Administrator highlander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni
    Posts
    17,889

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Well, if it's any indication, I suspect if we examine the traffic in each forum, the non-typology-serious forums have more participation. (And I wouldn't count the "popular typing" forum as a typology forum, because it's usually just off-the-cuff posts in general, not like what would amount to the in-depth type discussions.) It looks to me like the forum at the moment is a catch-all general forum where people are at least aware of their MBTI type (or other basic types) but are here more for the general socialization.

    I mean, one way to determine what the forum wants is to look at what it does already. What needs are being served? If a direction is picked that doesn't align with what the membership is doing, the the current membership will dwindle (since their current needs are no longer served) and new membership will be needed.
    I'm gathering statistics on some of this through Google Analytics right now and will share some of it with the committee members once the group is formed. I think there has to be a blend between the more serious typology stuff and the more lighthearted or other type of material. Anyway, the committee will be about setting that kind of direction.

    Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

    Tri-type 639

Similar Threads

  1. Ongoing Improvement Of Our Forum
    By highlander in forum Official Decrees
    Replies: 60
    Last Post: 03-01-2017, 02:58 AM
  2. Dubious suggestions for the improvement of the forum
    By Luke O in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 07-24-2015, 08:58 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO