User Tag List

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Default NEW FORUM FEATURES - FINDING STUFF ON THE FORUM

There have been a couple of features implemented on the forum recently and it seems like a good time to explain them. At the time I'm writing this post, we have 65,761 threads and 2,227,070 posts. There is a tremendous amount of great content on our forum. The problem is, for anyone who is trying to find something, it had been darn near impossible to do that. The old search function had become extremely slow given the size of our database, often timing out on queries, rendering it in certain cases unusable. There are large number of threads under the various subforums, sort of in a big mish mosh.

In an attempt to make the content on the forum more accessible and have it be easier to find things, two things have been implemented.
    - An Improved Search Function
    - Adding metadata associated with the threads - specifically Thread Prefixes In Selected Subforums

New Search Function.

It kind of looks the same. What's better about it?

1. It's a lot faster. The old search would sit there and spin and spin and sometimes time out. I'm would not be exaggerating in saying the new search function is more than 100x faster.

2. You can search more things. Specifically,

Users - will return results based on anything about the member (any custom fields, signatures, emails they ever used, etc.)
    Private Messages - members can search through their own private messages
    FAQs - anything in the FAQ section becomes universally searchable
    Albums - if members have photo albums, they become searchable
    Pictures - pictures within member photo albums
    Picture Comments - comments left for pictures within albums

3. It supports more complex queries through something called Extended Query Syntax, described here

Thread Prefixes

Yes - It's that annoying new thing you need to put in when you create a new thread in certain subforums. These are designed to help you navigate the content better. All 1700 or so threads in the Enneagram Subforum that aren't in a general category are now "tagged". When you go to the subforum, look at the bottom of the page under Thread Display Options

You can select which prefix you want to pull up threads for. You can also designate the sort you want. Then click on "Show Threads". So for example, you can select all of the threads with for an Enneagram 9 or for Tritype, in descending order by post views. Here are two examples:

All threads in the Enneagram forum about SXs sorted by Last Post Time

http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...=sx&order=desc

All threads in the Enneagram forum about Enneagram 9s sorted by Number of Views

http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...e_9&order=desc

--------------
    That's it. I'm hopeful these things are useful to you. As to the the MBTI/Cognitive Function Forum - it's rather large. We're still trying to figure out how to tag all of that...

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

figsfiggyfigs

WHEN IS THE NEW CHAT COMING IN
    AND THE VENT STATUS PLUGIN

THANKS

Quote Originally Posted by YWIR View Post

THANKS

What she said.
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by YWIR View Post

THANKS
    I have to have to get a programmer to make that revision to display Vent status. It's in the works. Soon I hope. Next couple weeks maybe?

There is no new chat program planned at present. We did double our Ventrillo capacity though.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

figsfiggyfigs

YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Thanks so much for the improved search - I look forward to trying it out. Id honestly given up on trying to find anything via search in the archives and used google instead. Should be of tremendous help for newbs as well
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    I have to have to get a programmer to make that revision to display Vent status. It's in the works. Soon I hope. Next couple weeks maybe?

There is no new chat program planned at present. We did double our Ventrillo capacity though.
    What was this thread & poll for then?
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by phobik View Post
    What was this thread & poll for then?
    It was to ask people if they wanted it.

My conclusion is that there were enough people voicing objections with good reasons for those objections, that it should not be at the top of our list of priorities to consider a new chat program at this time.

We did enhance our Vent instructions (thanks @YWIR and @senza tema). I fixed the new member welcome message that was pointing to the wrong Ventrillo information thread. We are in the process of getting a notification on the home page or somewhere prominent that includes 1) current vent status, hopefully with users that are online 2) link to instructions to install. That requires some custom coding to get it to work. We also doubled our capacity in anticipation of increased usage with the increased publicity.

Vent does require you to install some software. However, the reason is that it provides functionality that we can't get with an in-line forum chat program. All it took for me was to get on and hear the sound of one of our member's voices to understand why people like it so much.

Tri-type 639

My interpretation of poll purpose & results is clearly different than yours.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard